Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic $100[SUPER REQ] YABB to HTML (Read 15277 times)
BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Re: $100[SUPER REQ] YABB to HTML
Reply #45 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 11:09am

What you originally asked for was a mod to take a "snap-shot" of your board and convert it to static html pages for archiving and off-line viewing. This may take you three weeks, but what paulpma was asking for will take a lot longer!

If you want to be able to navigate the static pages, all the YaBB links will have to be changed to the static page names. This starts to get tricky when you have treads/message indexes which are more than one page in length.

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #46 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 11:38am

Quote:
I got this e-mail read what it says:

Quote:
A guy from Google HIMSELF said "static pages are better". It seems the googlebot tends to 'choke' on any dynamic content, or get lost. The other search engines are almost as bad, or in many cases worse.

Good, so you got an e-mail from a guy that knows another that knows a guy that works at Google? Maybe the janitor? Cripes, you have yet to say ANYTHING really useful in response. "Choking" on dynamic content is pretty fuzzy and totally untrue, at that. We were talking about pages that were generated dynamically, but you claim this e-mail says that Google's spider chokes on any dynamic content?! If that were true, then it would be choking all through most of the internet. As I said, "dynamic content" is just usually html outputted from a script on the server, which makes it no different then a static html page that has been sitting there. If search engine spiders were somehow able to pull unprocessed versions of server-side scripts, then they'd be getting all kinds of goodies like database passwords and all and malicious users would be running rampant. That'd be pretty stupid, I think. I may be wrong, but I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

Firehorse has very kindly offered to make this modification that you're asking for, so I hope that satisfies you and you don't give him too much of a hard time...

Quote:
So one just has to pick out the right bits of code and put it back together to do the job you want.

Well, you can probably leave most of the current code in place. You'll just need to have it save the html output to a file, instead of outputting it to the screen, and then changing the location to that html file I suppose. Dave could probably give you much better information than I. Tongue

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
IP Logged

firehorse

Reply #47 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 12:28pm

Quote:
What you originally asked for was a mod to take a "snap-shot" of your board and convert it to static html pages for archiving and off-line viewing.

Well ... I thought with the amount of talented people around it might be a simple matter  Tongue More a case of time available I think  Smiley

Quote:
If you want to be able to navigate the static pages, all the YaBB links will have to be changed to the static page names. This starts to get tricky when you have treads/message indexes which are more than one page in length.

Agreed ... definitely for version 2  ... summer 2003 Grin

My objectives are the same as Paul's. But I simply thought that if one got as far as making them static pages, then linking between the pages would be possible. Links to things like searching/replies could either be disabled or linked back to yabb.cgi.

But if I'm going to do the mod then I probably want to start out with something much, much easier Smiley So just simply dumping out the message database to html pages will make that text available to search engines that currently don't find the 'dynamic' pages. (Not getting into that debate, but some interesting information was exchanged  Grin)

So all existing links will stay the same. And clicking on a link will lead them directly to yabb.cgi and not to another static page.

Quote:
Firehorse has very kindly offered to make this modification that you're asking for, so I hope that satisfies you and you don't give him too much of a hard time...

Just to let you know, Paul, I'm available for hire at $45/hour if you want it done any quicker than my dec 2002 estimate  Grin

Quote:
Well, you can probably leave most of the current code in place. You'll just need to have it save the html output to a file, instead of outputting it to the screen, and then changing the location to that html file I suppose.

Thanks for that. That's exactly what I was hoping  Smiley I was hoping to construct the file name out of the message thread ID plus the start article number as those should be readily available.

I'll get round to examing the code after finishing my other projects  Smiley

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #48 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 12:57pm

I look forward to seeing your finished mod in winter 2003 then -these things always take longer than expected!  Wink

IP Logged

firehorse

Reply #49 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 2:02pm

<ROFL>  :haha:

IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #50 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 2:32pm

Want to know why I PERSONALLY wouldn't do this mod (I admit it, I wouldn't do it)?

Because you're going to be changing some very key things. FIrst off, you are going to be changing the ease of customization. One of YaBB's selling points is that i's a template driven board, and editing is very easy.

Secondly, you are going to change the entire file structure of the messages, meaning you will need major rewrites in boardindex.pl, post.pl, modifymessage.pl, messageindex.pl, movethread.pl, and any others that open the .txt files to read information out. Not only would you have to change them all, but you'd have to hunt them down.

Hence, YaBB is dynamic and template driven. Why? Cause it was just easier for everybody. Grin

I'm not sure if it's ignorance or apathy, but I don't know and I don't care.
IP Logged

paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #51 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 3:14pm

firehorse:

You are right, the key here is to get posts indexed. That is right we can take snapshots and leave them as .hml files and they will get indexed.

About the linking, I think that would be done automaticaly, if you set the full path instead of relative.

So we will have full dynamic content and static HTML for indexing.

I will guys let you know in my next messge if its going to be $100 for it. Cause I have to talk to people who are chipping in. 

Maybe you want to chip in? Let us know.

PAUL>

IP Logged

firehorse

Reply #52 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 4:33pm

Quote:
Because you're going to be changing some very key things. FIrst off, you are going to be changing the ease of customization. One of YaBB's selling points is that i's a template driven board, and editing is very easy.

Not going to touch that at all  Smiley Hoping to 'hijack'  Tongue the existing template writing routine (less work to do, yabb does a good job of that already) Smiley so all customisations on the page will stay intact. The only difference is, rather than writing to the screen, write it to a file. (Well ... that's the theory  Grin)

Quote:
Secondly, you are going to change the entire file structure of the messages

Not going to touch the file structure at all. Sounds like way too much hard work  Grin

For version 1, I will be keeping it extremely simple  Smiley ... unless someone else gets there before me  Grin

Quote:
Hence, YaBB is dynamic and template driven. Why? Cause it was just easier for everybody. Grin

Agreed  Smiley

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #53 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 5:43pm

No comments on my post about indexing dynamic pages, Dave? I was looking forward to your response. Sad

@ Firehorse: Where are you planning to link to the static HTML files from?

@ Paul: lmao, now you're going to split the $100 amongst a bunch of people that are "chipping in"? That's grand Tongue

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #54 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 5:49pm

Michael, I think that's a bunch of people chipping in to pay the $100  Wink

IP Logged

firehorse

Reply #55 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 6:01pm

Michael wrote on Feb 25th, 2002 at 5:43pm:
@ Firehorse: Where are you planning to link to the static HTML files from?

Absolutely nowhere  Grin
The purpose of the static HTML files are to act as a feeder from those search engines that cannot index dynamic pages to the dyanmic up to date yabb.cgi  Grin

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #56 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 6:06pm

If you don't have links to the static pages, how are the search engines supposed to find them? ???

IP Logged

paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #57 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 7:28pm

@michael: Currently there are 2 people who will pay $100, I just want people to chipin so this number will RISE, and this mod wilHello, do you understand english.

robots.txt would point to those files, and also we can point to them from any other page duh.. those files will be updated, cause they will be overwritten each time there is new post on the same page.

WAKE UP

Paul.

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #58 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 7:49pm

I understand English perfectly, but I don't know what "wilHello" means!  Wink

And to whom was that last comment directed?

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #59 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 9:08pm

paulpma wrote on Feb 25th, 2002 at 7:28pm:
@michael: Currently there are 2 people who will pay $100, I just want people to chipin so this number will RISE, and this mod wilHello, do you understand english.

I understand English perfectly, but it doesn't do much good if you don't make yourself clear. Besides the fact that "I will guys let you know in my next messge if its going to be $100 for it" is bad English, it sounded like you planned on lowering the payment because other coders would be chipping in. Forgive my interpretation, but don't get nasty with me.

Quote:
robots.txt would point to those files

As far as I know, robots.txt can only be used to EXCLUDE files or folders from indexing. If something new has come up, be sure to let me know.

Quote:
and also we can point to them from any other page duh..

Such as?

Quote:
those files will be updated, cause they will be overwritten each time there is new post on the same page.

They're also updated everytime the page is requested from a normal YaBB, it's just that they're not permanently saved as a .html file. I'm telling you, you're not doing anything different in terms of search engine indexing. No matter the extension of the file, html looks like html to a spider.

Quote:
WAKE UP

Please don't try to insult me. I haven't tried to insult you and if I have done so inadvertantly, please forgive me.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint