Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic $100[SUPER REQ] YABB to HTML (Read 15270 times)
paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: $100[SUPER REQ] YABB to HTML
Reply #30 - Feb 23rd, 2002 at 4:03pm

Guys, Sorry that I havent responded to those comments yet, I will. Before doing that let me show you something.

Lets search for something I want to find BoardMod called Headlines on the Google. Lets make a search.http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BoardMod++Headlines&btnG=Google+Search

Ok. Take a look how many results are dynamic and how many are static.

Till next time, take care of your self and each other.

`Jerry.

POLY

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #31 - Feb 23rd, 2002 at 5:58pm

Quote:
Take a look how many results are dynamic and how many are static.

Two of each - and you're point would be what exactly?

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #32 - Feb 23rd, 2002 at 7:06pm

Actually, all the pages on that search are dynamic. Both this BoardMod and BoardMod SE use PHP throughout the site.

Static or dynamic doesn't have anything to do with it, Paul. Try this search, for example: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BoardMod++Mod+Bugs

Gee look, almost the whole first page of results points to boards on one YaBB or another.

Read memobug's explanation, it's very good. If you look at both of the BoardMod pages, they have metatags with keywords, titles, and descriptions.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #33 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 12:07am

I stand corrected, thanks Michael  Smiley

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #34 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 1:28am

Heh, I was thinking the same way as you, then I thought to myself "Wait a second, self..." Tongue

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 4:27pm

Hello All

Lets take a look at some results here is one of them: www.yabb.info/community/index.php?board=134
OK, I agree it's dynamic, thats good,
but take a look how many results are actual treads, IT DOES NOT INDEX the messages for Yabb, Sad what I mean the google would not EVER index what ever I just typed, or this text. If we had .hml files then It would.

Paul.

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #36 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 4:39pm

Why wouldn't it?

If you've done much searching, you get plenty of results from threads on message boards.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #37 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 4:51pm

Show me the results, Cause I did many searches and it would not show any results from threads, so that proves that GOOGLE prefers HTML insead of DYNAMIC YABB.

Thank you

Paul.

IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #38 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 5:42pm

Okay, Im gonna clear this up a little:

Those php pages are static pages with dynamic content. The page itself can be indexed, it is an entity by itself, and it is a file Google will spider.

YaBB files must be pushed THROUGH the YaBB program, executed through perl. They are .txt files, which Google is not in the habit of indexing. Not only that, but even if it did index them, they would be gibberish because they are in the raw, delimited form (plus, it would be bad that they got indexed, because they contain IPs, and you dont want that stuff getting out).

Google is a very smart search engine, but it's not going to run a perl program and then index the results it finds, 99 times out of 100.

Another reason is the fact that almost all search engines skip over files in directories containing the name "bin", so even if it were to actual run your YaBB and find pages, it's most likely not going to do that as long as you YaBB is in a "bin" directory or sub-directory.

I think everyone got a little confused here with what dynamic means. YaBB pages are dynamically generated, those php pages are static pages pulling in dynamic content. See the differece? That index.php page will always be there. But the page I'm currently look at will be gone as soon as I click "post." That's the difference.

I'm not sure if it's ignorance or apathy, but I don't know and I don't care.
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #39 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 6:19pm

Okay, I gotcha, but can you explain it any clearer? If you think about it, the PHP page is the same thing as the CGI page. When it's called from an outside source, the server processes it, regardless (as far as I know), so the results will never contain PHP or Perl code. They're ALL separate entities by themselves, and as we've seen with the sample results, Google WILL index files that are in the CGI-bin. You can modify Google's indexing behavior by using a robots.txt file as well. You can read more about this at http://www.robotstxt.org/.

Quote:
They are .txt files, which Google is not in the habit of indexing.

The .txt files that you refer to, Dave, will never even be visible to search engines because there are no links to them. Instead, when Google or another spider follows a link, the Perl or PHP script will pull up the appropriate file and output the results.

Quote:
Google is a very smart search engine, but it's not going to run a perl program and then index the results it finds, 99 times out of 100.

Another reason is the fact that almost all search engines skip over files in directories containing the name "bin", so even if it were to actual run your YaBB and find pages, it's most likely not going to do that as long as you YaBB is in a "bin" directory or sub-directory.

We've already proven that they DO index YaBB's and plenty of other scripts in the CGI-bin. Your host or you (using robots.txt) would specifically have to request that the spider not index the cgi-bin.

As for Google seeming to only pull up results that contain boards as opposed to individual posts, I don't really know, but I believe it is because there are only one or two links to individual threads throughout the board, the site, and probably the whole internet, while every single thread in each board will always have a link back to that board. Google judges results by the number of links to the page, I believe, so a thread with one link to it will not get listed, while a board with links to it from almost every page in the YaBB will get listed. I don't profess to be an expert on search engine algorithms and methods, but that's from what I've read.

Quote:
Cause I did many searches and it would not show any results from threads, so that proves that GOOGLE prefers HTML insead of DYNAMIC YABB.

That proves absolutely nothing. As I said, only one or two links to a thread = no listing. Many links to a board = a listing. I really don't see what you're trying to accomplish by having search engines index every bloody post on your board. Granted, it'd get you listed more often and possibly more hits, but if search engines indexed all the posts on every board in the internet, then search results would be pretty much useless. When I've found threads in the results of a search, it's usually from the type of board that has a separate page for each reply to a post, in a tree-like form, so every post page has a link to other posts in that thread or tree, which is why they get listed.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #40 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 1:53am

@michael

Stop confusing people.

For the sake is would anyone would be able to do that mod or not. Cause there is plenty those stupid modes that people do it for free at least this one has good point and there is $100  Grin reward for it.

Paul.

IP Logged

Shoeb Omar
God Member

Mod Writer

Reply #41 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 2:26am

oh crappity smack no.
dont u EVER call any mod stupid. EVER!  Angry

YaBB SP2 BETA!
Now taking pay jobs in PHP or Perl.  Contact me for details.
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #42 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 2:33am

paulpma wrote on Feb 25th, 2002 at 1:53am:
Stop confusing people.

I'm not confusing anyone, unless it's you, but you seem to have been confused from the start, so don't blame me for it.

Quote:
For the sake is would anyone would be able to do that mod or not.

If somebody wants to do it or is doing it, they'll let you know, I'm sure.

Quote:
Cause there is plenty those stupid modes that people do it for free

People write mods because it's something that would help them or they'd like to help someone out. If they don't feel like helping you out or don't feel like the mod would help them, then they won't make it.

Quote:
at least this one has good point and there is $100  Grin reward for it.

You have yet to show what the "good point" is. I just refuted your point about static html pages supposedly being better than YaBB's current layout and you didn't bother to respond. The only other point that was made in this thread was that static html pages might possibly be faster, but if you want a faster board, you might as well go for a board that does MySQL, unless you can find someone to do this thing for you, but it doesn't seem like anyone's willing to do it so far.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #43 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 2:48am

I got this e-mail read what it says:

Quote:
A guy from Google HIMSELF said "static pages are better". It seems the
googlebot tends to 'choke' on any dynamic content, or get lost. The
other
search engines are almost as bad, or in many cases worse.

HELP!!!!

IP Logged

firehorse

Reply #44 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 9:10am

If no one does this mod before dec 2002 then I'll probably have it done for then. If it's a rush job, I might even get it done within 6 months Smiley I also want that mod for my own board  Smiley

YaBB calls some code to generate the message screen. Find out where that is. Stick in a couple of loops to go through the whole topic/message database.

After my own mini-saga of getting the news script to work on my local pc by installing Xitami and then Apache, there's an example code of how to output a message thread to a file. (Note to self - find out more about the inner workings of cgi=3)  

So one just has to pick out the right bits of code and put it back together to do the job you want. At the worse case, just cut the relevant code out of the YaBB message generation module (haven't even identified which one that is), and paste it into the relevant place in the news script, and run it as a separate module. Of course, in this case, all those nice mods installed for the message screens won't appear  Smiley ... but the text on the html pages will get indexed.

Any YaBB experts disagree on the above outline thoughts?

Currently, my total knowledge of Perl can be summarised as . literally :haha: because I wanted to find out about string concatenation  Smiley

If I did it full time then I reckon it would take me 1 week to pick up the perl and 1 week to do the mod plus as ever, 1 week contingency of things going wrong  :haha:

Does anyone think it will take longer to do?  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint