Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) SMTP Authorization V2 (Read 31629 times)
Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Re: SMTP Authorization V2
Reply #90 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
jessicah wrote on Sep 22nd, 2004 at 10:45pm:
any ideas? anyone? Please? I wias thinking it might have something to do with the password security mod.

Nope, you have set authorisation on while the smtp server you use does not allow or support it (as explained in the rest behind the 504 error)

Nothing to add here Smiley

IP Logged

ACStefan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #91 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Hi there,

first of all many thanks @Ron for this nice piece of work. It works just fine on our forums (www.aqua-computer.de) when sending "lost password"- and registration-emails, but the email notification on new post is still troubling me. When posting in threads where other users obviously have activated email notifications, the following error occurs:

SMTP Error 535: Authentication failed<br /><br />Mail Server communication log:<br />220 mrelayng.kundenserver.de ESMTP Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:20:48 +0200 <br />250 mrelayng.kundenserver.de Hello 213-133-123-22.clients.your-server.de [213.133.123.22] <br />334 VXNlcm5hbWU6 <br />334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6 <br />235 Authentication succeeded <br />250 <webmaster@aqua-computer.de> is syntactically correct <br />250 <l.moeller@muenster.de> is syntactically correct <br />354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself <br />250 OK id=1CCGyO-000483-00 <br />220 mrelayng.kundenserver.de ESMTP Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:20:48 +0200 <br />250 mrelayng.kundenserver.de Hello 213-133-123-22.clients.your-server.de [213.133.123.22] <br />334 VXNlcm5hbWU6 <br />334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6 <br />535 Incorrect authentication data <br />

Again, the forum successfully sends emails on registration etc. My knowledge in this matter is rather small, but it seems to me that the mailserver accepts the authentication in the first step an later rejects the same authentication data.

Any help or guesses would be appreciated.

IP Logged

oggols04

Reply #92 - Oct 1st, 2004 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
I keep getting this.

SERVER ERROR: Could not connect to  at port  !

not sure why

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #93 - Oct 1st, 2004 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
oggols04 wrote on Oct 1st, 2004 at 6:49pm:
I keep getting this.

SERVER ERROR: Could not connect to  at port  !

not sure why

That error is a response from the smtp subroutine that it cannot connect to port 25 of the assigned smtp server, which could mean it is either blocked or at the address/domainname you entered for smtp server there isn't one running.

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #94 - Oct 1st, 2004 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
ACStefan wrote on Sep 28th, 2004 at 12:53pm:
Again, the forum successfully sends emails on registration etc. My knowledge in this matter is rather small, but it seems to me that the mailserver accepts the authentication in the first step an later rejects the same authentication data.

Any help or guesses would be appreciated.

Well, it's not helping perhaps but mail server security is getting tighter and tighter day by day in an attempt to reduce the huge amount of spam slipping through loading up these servers.

It could well be that the server you now use does not allow multiple smtp sessions after each other as it recognises it as spamming.
It could also be that this particular smtp server does not allow base64 encoded passwords and needs stronger encryption, which is not available in this mod at present, or that it needs a POP3 session first before you are allowed to send SMTP.
I know this is not exact rocket science but there are so many different protection methods it makes it almost impossible to deliver multiple messages on an average smtp server you do not run yourself today.
The alternative might be net::smtp which bypasses any ISP run smtp server and makes the script act as one, but this could fail if net::smtp is not installed on the server your board is on.

IP Logged

oggols04

Reply #95 - Oct 1st, 2004 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
yes the smtp security is the problem since my host changed how they handle my smtp.  I was told to use "localhost" as the smtp server to allow my cgi to email from my domain.  I did this with my postcard direct program and that now works fine.  But trying to do this in Yabb has totally failed.  I tried many things, but after a week no such success.

IP Logged

marcsparks

I love YaBB 1 Gold - SP1.3.1!

Reply #96 - Oct 1st, 2004 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks for this mod it fixed a problem with my mass e-mails from not going out. I guess a lot of servers are trying to cut down on spam mail because my forgot password would work and if I wanted to e-mail to a single person it sends an e-mail.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #97 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
oggols04 wrote on Oct 1st, 2004 at 11:22pm:
yes the smtp security is the problem since my host changed how they handle my smtp.  I was told to use "localhost" as the smtp server to allow my cgi to email from my domain.  I did this with my postcard direct program and that now works fine.  But trying to do this in Yabb has totally failed.  I tried many things, but after a week no such success.

With our without this mod setting smtp server to localhost (or ip address 127.0.0.1) and setting send mail using SMTP should work in YaBB.
Certainly if it works with the postcard script too.
I don't think smtp authorisation is required yet on most localhost smtp services (allthough my server requires it in the latest version)

IP Logged

oggols04

Reply #98 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
yes it "should" work but it does not.  Yes no auth is requried for setting "localhost" as the smtp server and I even tried a clean install but still with no luck.

IP Logged

oggols04

Time to go SS4

Reply #99 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Ron, oh Ron,

Quote:
With our without this mod setting smtp server to localhost (or ip address 127.0.0.1) and setting send mail using SMTP should work in YaBB.

For most I am sure this is true, but as for me it is not.  I fixed my problem and figured I'd post here in case anyone else ran into this also.

Again it was "SERVER ERROR: Could not connect to  at port  ! " and I had to use localhost as my smtp server.

But the port is usally 25 by default?

So "my $port = 25;" right.

So I loaded up my test board (clean 1.3.2) and put in the "my $port = 25;" doesn't work (it just times out)

So I loaded up my test board (clean 1.3.1) and put in the "my $port = 25;" doesn't work (it just times out)

Then I load up my real board (1.3.2) with SMTP Authorization V2 Mod and woooooooooooo, I got mail!!!!

Now this has nothing to do with the authoriztion part of the mod (since it's not needed), it just added a little better "talk" to the smtp server which made it work (Not sure but that's what I got from looking a the code).

So I just hope this helps some else and saves them a few weeks.  And thanks to Ron for the mod Grin

Need to thank Peter Sundstrom http://www.ginini.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=pd for his help.  He went above and beyond the call of duty to help me.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2004 at 1:14pm by oggols04 »  

-Truth suffers from too much analysis.
IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #100 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 11:14am
Print Post  
oggols04 wrote on Oct 7th, 2004 at 10:19am:
Now this has nothing to do with the authoriztion part of the mod (since it's not needed), it just added a little better "talk" to the smtp server which made it work (Not sure but that's what I got from looking a the code).

Actually the smtp routine was changed in this mod to comply to the latest RFC's, so in anyway you assume correctly that communication between script and server should be improved.
Having said this I'm surprised that this fix was not integrated in SP1.3.2 as well as I really thought this fix was in.

IP Logged

Senjion

Reply #101 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Hey all, Im new at the whole forum hosting scene, and before I get asking I should explain my situation. I am using YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.2. My web-server is hosted from home and therefor I do not have to "upload" files to have them hosted. I am using Apache 2.0.46 with Perl 5.8.0. My e-mail server is ArGoSoft Mail Server Pro 1.8.6.0.

Now that that is out of the way here are my problems.

I have successfully installed (via BoardMod) the following:
edit_profile_during_registraton.mod
SMTP_authentication.mod

I have tried to install (and failed):
forum_staff_info_SP13.mod
report_to_moderator_sp.mod
amm_sp131_15.mod
globalmod22.mod *?*

Now, although SMTP authentication is enabled and working on the board, when I try to register an account my server comes back with this error:
"Transmission did not end with a "." on a line by itself. Disconnecting... "

Please help me out?

***Installed Mods***
Code
Select All
amm sp131 15 *
edit profile during registration *
extended profiles v122 sp13
forum staff info SP13 *
img tag bugfix v11
ImgSize 13 sp11 sp12 sp131 *
improved code boxes v21a sp13
mbc2 sp13
mbco2 polls patch
membersearch 20
ModsInstalled sp131
Polls 3 Showcase SP13
Polls 3 SP132
print who is online v11 sp13
quick reply box 13
Recent posts list *
recent users list
report to moderator sp *
SMTP Authorisation2
User More Membergroups 4 for AMM and YaMS MBCO2 * 

* = Edited for personal use/1.3.2 compatibility.

IP Logged

Senjion

Reply #102 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 9:06am
Print Post  
ok so heres an update and I might be entirely on the wrong track here. (I apologize in advance for editing your code but I was hoping I could sort it out by sheer luck).

I have managed to get the board to send an e-mail. To do so I edited the mod to say:

Code
Select All
if ($smtp_auth_required){
			#Encrypt the user and pass
			$authuser = encode_smtp64($authuser); 	#Yes the encryption for AUTH is really this easy
			$authpass = encode_smtp64($authpass); 	#Base 64 is not really and encryption just a translation
								#But it works!
			chomp($authuser);   #Get rid of line ending
			chomp($authpass);   #Get rid of line ending
			## chomp($period);
			## Request server for AUTH login
			print MAIL "AUTH LOGIN\r\n";
			&readsmtp;
			## Send base64 encoded username
			print MAIL "$authuser\r\n";
			&readsmtp;
			## Send base64 encode password
			print MAIL "$authpass\r\n";
			&readsmtp;
		}
		## Fill the mail from field ##
		print MAIL "MAIL FROM: <$webmaster_email>\r\n";
		&readsmtp;
		## Add as many addressees as needed ##
		foreach (split(/, /, $to)) {
			print MAIL "RCPT TO: <$_>\r\n";
			&readsmtp;
		}
		## Send message data ##
		print MAIL "DATA\r\n";
		&readsmtp;
		## End with a ".' on a line by itself ##
		print MAIL ".";
		&readsmtp;
	} 

Now... the problem is, the e-mail that is sent is COMPLETELY blank. No from, no to, no message or subject. SO maybe its a start?

Also, the error that my mailserver gives is:

Quote:
Error: [10053] Software caused connection abort

any thoughts?

***Installed Mods***
Code
Select All
amm sp131 15 *
edit profile during registration *
extended profiles v122 sp13
forum staff info SP13 *
img tag bugfix v11
ImgSize 13 sp11 sp12 sp131 *
improved code boxes v21a sp13
mbc2 sp13
mbco2 polls patch
membersearch 20
ModsInstalled sp131
Polls 3 Showcase SP13
Polls 3 SP132
print who is online v11 sp13
quick reply box 13
Recent posts list *
recent users list
report to moderator sp *
SMTP Authorisation2
User More Membergroups 4 for AMM and YaMS MBCO2 * 

* = Edited for personal use/1.3.2 compatibility.

IP Logged

Bill Bowling

Reply #103 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
I just installed the SMTP MOD with no errors. Now I get the following error after I answer an post:

What should I check?

Thanks,
Bill

IP Logged

BowlingSS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #104 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I just installed the SMTP MOD with no errors. Now I get the following error after I answer an post:
I am using the latest version 1 Gold SP 1.3.2. My server is W3K with IIS6.0. I am using the SMTP built into IIS. I have tried using a smart host with no help. I tried using AUth with username and password.

What else should I check?

Thanks,
Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 
Send TopicPrint