Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How to add a new Template to YaBB2 (Read 34426 times)
Kaptin

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Re: How to add a new Template to YaBB2
Reply #15 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Cry Kiss

IP Logged

CelticLady

I am such a newbee...

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Sad ??? Cry Oh boy... ok ... I read all the posts here and I am using YaBB 2.1 ..... I take it there is not a template page for 2.1 right??? Geesss ..... looks like I am at a stand still with the templates and BoardMod .... If anyone makes a black, purple, and deep red and a little yellow would be ok too..... oh please let me know!! The default is to boring for me.

IP Logged

CelticLady

I am such a newbee...

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Carsten wrote on Jan 11th, 2005 at 4:24am:
YaBB 2 introduces a new way of 'Skinning YaBB'. A complete template-set for YaBB 2 includes:
  • a CSS file
  • a html template
  • a BoardIndex template
  • a MessageIndex template
  • a Display template
  • a HelpCentre template
  • a set of images

All elements in a Template-set are optional - meaning, if you only want to make changes to the looks of the Board Index you only have to include the "cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/BoardIndex.template" file in your Template-set.

The folder-structure for a Template-set is:

public_html/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/templatename.css      (style sheet)
public_html/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/templatename/*.gif      (images)

cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/BoardIndex.template
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/MessageIndex.template
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/Display.template
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/HelpCentre.template
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/templatename.html

Further more you can add a configuration file to have YaBB 2 automatically add the new template-set to the system:

cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/templatename.cfg

The configuration file is a simple text file in this format:

Code
Select All
###############################################################################
# Template Configuration                                                      #
###############################################################################

$template_name = "Templatename";	# This is the name of your new template set (max. 50 characters).
$template_css = 1;			# Set to 1 if your template set includes a style sheet else 0 to use default.
$template_images = 1;			# Set to 1 if your template set includes a images folder else 0 to use default.
$template_head = 1;			# Set to 1 if your template set includes a head file (.html) else 0 to use default.
$template_board = 1;			# Set to 1 if your template set includes a BoardIndex template else 0 to use default.
$template_message = 1;			# Set to 1 if your template set includes a MessageIndex template else 0 to use default.
$template_display = 1;			# Set to 1 if your template set includes a Display template else 0 to use default.

1;

The config. file will add the template-set to YaBB 2's 'template.cfg' file and then automatically be deleted.

In the images folder you only need to add the images you want changed - YaBB 2 will automatically use the 'default' images for the rest.

Use the attached template-set as example - enjoy!

Ok ... i am so confused because there is no file path like that anywhere in YaBB 2.1??? Please Help... I don't know how to add the 2.1 templates to YaBB 2.1......  Cry

IP Logged

CelticLady

I am such a newbee...

Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 4:50am
Print Post  
I forgot to mention my YaBB 2.1 is .pl not .cgi .... and thank you for your patience. Embarrassed

IP Logged

MetalJoe

Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 4:59am
Print Post  

IP Logged

CelticLady

I am such a newbee...

Reply #20 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Thanks but that wasn't much help .... there is nothing in the cgi_bin at all .... 

Carsten wrote:

Further more you can add a configuration file to have YaBB 2 automatically add the new template-set to the system: 
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/templatename.cfg 

The path above doesn't exsist in my cgi_bin and I really do need to use an auto add template thingy due to the fact that I don't have much time now a days.... I hope someone can explain it in layman terms ..... I'd owe them big ..... if I can ever figure this out I would definitly love to sooner or later design some.... creating is my passion.... also

and the files he speaks of as in: 
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/BoardIndex.template 
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/MessageIndex.template 
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/Display.template 
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/HelpCentre.template 
cgi-bin/yabb2/Templates/templatename/templatename.html 

Well I have no file path like that ..... my file path is: mydomain/yabb/Templates/default/BoardIndex.template 

Does that make sence

~`'~ CelticLady ~`'~

IP Logged

mykl

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 5:37am
Print Post  
Forgive me for asking but I am new to all of this and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install a new template. Is there a step by step guide or anything?
Thanks,
Mykl

IP Logged

ofccrazy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 3:12am
Print Post  
I hate to act dumb, But I have been using Yabb 1 Gold for almost 5 years now.. And have just move up to the New Yabb2. Was able to copy everything over and covert to my new Yabb2 forum and it all good..

I have allot of people that want me to go back to the old template for the new yabb2 forum that we had in the old forum. My problem is I don't have a clue how to set it up.. I wanted to set up about 5 to 10 template for the user can choose  there own template that they like the best.. So how would i go about doing that..

Thanks in Advance..

IP Logged

ofccrazy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 4:02am
Print Post  
Hey I think I got it now.. thanks to the simply to understand examlpe from user qersys

Ty man

IP Logged

ofccrazy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #24 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Basically all you need to do to install a new template is:
1. extract the file on your local machine. This should give you two directories, cgi bin and yabbfiles. these directories have the same structure as the ones on yoursite.

2. upload the files to your server. upload them to the directories with the same names as the ones you just extracted.

cgi bin/templates/blkgry3d/boardindex.template

4. go to your board admin and click "template configuration"  and select the new template.

6. Don't forget to select the template in your profole or you will not see it

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #25 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
As of today the CVS version of Y2.2 will also eat {yabb....} tags instead of the <yabb...> tags in the main template (so the <templatename>.html

This will make sure that editors like DreamWeaver not automatically try to close the old tag with </yabb> and also opens up the world of CMS style templates also using {tag....} as their engine feed.

Of course the Y2.2 template engine will be downward compatible and also eat old style templates Wink

Nothing to add here Smiley

IP Logged

Outumuro
God Member

Publisher - YaBB Toolbar

Reply #26 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Cool stuff Ron! Smiley

IP Logged

webranger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #27 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 11:34am
Print Post  
If only it were as simple as ofccrazy says.

I want to install the Tophouse template. That has in fact only 4 files, though in a complex folder system that makes it look like 12 files in the zip.

My installation has a cgi-bin folder that is empty. Do I need to put the complex folder system in?

I don't have a Yabbfiles folder. Sure I can make one and the rest of the complex folder system, but is that really going to work as automatically as crazy says? I don't think so.

I can't follow Carsten's method because the file structure isn't the way he says it should be.

Help, please. (Yes, I'll also try to contact Tophouse)

IP Logged

webranger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Didn't get a reply from Tophouse, but I did manage to get his template installed. I simply replaced the default.css and default.html with his coding, and put his folder/files structure in the cg-bin and it worked.

I must say that this is the only Y2 template that I like. Why are most of the others so dull? Why is grey the favourite colour of YaBB template makers? There must be some psychological reason for this Cheesy

IP Logged

seacanyon

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #29 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
it doesn't seem terribly complicated but it all breaks down when the installed file structure doesn't match the oft-repeated mantra here of cgi-bin & yabbfiles.

In my case, the host forces YaBB 2.1 to a directory named yabb holding 16 folders including one named cgi-bin.  There is also a Templates folder containing folders named default and Forum and Admin, as well as the default.html file.

With the template files in place, when i go to the Admin Center to select the new template it doesn't show up, even though the style sheet options and some of the template config drop downs reflect the new files. (when I make choices and try to save I get a message saying it was not a valid template name).

So, being a novice, I'm winging it, with the help of the post at the top of this thread  (when I'm not banging my head on the desk.)

I seem  to be in a similar situation to Celtic Lady, and would roundly second Myki's request for a step-by-step guide.

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint