Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic $100[SUPER REQ] YABB to HTML (Read 15271 times)
paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

$100[SUPER REQ] YABB to HTML
Feb 21st, 2002 at 6:18pm

Ok, that's it. No One should help this guy. First he pm's me asking me why I locked the thread. I replied:

Quote:
it wasnt going anywhere so i locked it - if u have ifnal statements send em to me and i will put them in if they're appropriate.

so he sends me this:

Quote:
Code
Select All
Ok Amario put this on the first tread and the last tread of my page. Excactly the same way with quotes"

Hello Guys

Can anyone find a mod  that will make YABB STATIC HTML instead of DYNAMIC. Even it is is not 100% exact still I will Pay $100  for that  person that will find that mod or write one.

Note: The First person who sends me the working mod will get $100.

Thank you.

This is how this subject started guys. I just want to finish up because omario closing this subject for no reason or because it is not leading anywhere. Since Omario is closing subject, then I will take OFF that $100  reward for anyone who wants to do that mod.
Plus we came up with some neat ideas how to make .html files with Yabb.

If you want to make another deal you have to post it here : http://computertalk.hypermart.net/ since omario is....  you know what.

Thank you.

THERE WE GO AMARIO add this on last and fist post

He thinks he can make me guilty or something and open up the thread! Lmao! Well, I don't give a darn I've "ruined the award" cause I was darn right in locking that thread -  Dave even pm ed me and said so! (I don't have a copy of that post cause I clear my in-box every do often)

Anyways, no one help this guy - he is a keniving (sp?) man (baby?) And doesn't deserve help.  Angry

p.s. had to use cod eboxes for the embedded wote as it wouldnt work any other way
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2002 at 4:20am by Shoeb Omar »  
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Re: $100[SUPER REQ] YABB to HTML
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 6:29pm

Uh, static HTML instead of dynamic? That makes no sense. A message board is DYNAMIC. It's impossible to have a static message board.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 6:42pm

No $100 for you.  Grin

You can make a static message board, it would just get boring after the first few visits (unless you do the right kind of drugs).  Tongue

Dan

Please include your forum address in all requests for assistance.  It greatly speeds things along.
IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 6:56pm

You want the WHOLE THING static? What about firehorse's suggestion of just having an achive of static pages for threads which have finished?

(that thread can be found HERE!)

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 7:13pm

Dear BHRA Webmaster

Archiving the whole board is not something that I really want, but I wouldn't mind takeing  a look at it. Where can i find that mod.  Before I had BB that created .htm files instead of dynamic. I hope this will help.

Paul.

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 7:39pm

Having a script that creates .htm files IS dynamic!

To make YaBB output HTML files would just be very stupid and my guesstimation would be that it would require a total re-write of YaBB, which is worth a hell of a lot more than $100 unless you can find someone who has nothing else to do in life. Have fun finding that someone.

Why would you want YaBB to output .html pages, anyway??

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

dOCdaS
God Member

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 7:48pm

@michael: because for speed.

think paulpma talks about UBB which had created html pages in Version 5. Dunno if it's still does.
But on posting, replying and modifying posts it had created a html file which already was blown with all the data so nothing had to be loaded again (Userdata, Post data, ....), so the html file loaded as fast as you line gave it. if you run a perl script to put out the data through perl which actually converts the data to html and then outputs it to your monitor takes more time. so only if something was added or modified for the post the old file was overwritten by a new one which was regenerated by a stored data-file like yabb uses it atm.

Hope that clears some things up. Grin 8)

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 8:07pm

Quote:
@michael: because for speed.

If he's talking about outputting static HTML pages for every part of YaBB, then it definitely would not help the speed! It would more likely kill the server!

Quote:
But on posting, replying and modifying posts it had created a html file which already was blown with all the data so nothing had to be loaded again (Userdata, Post data, ....), so the html file loaded as fast as you line gave it. if you run a perl script to put out the data through perl which actually converts the data to html and then outputs it to your monitor takes more time. so only if something was added or modified for the post the old file was overwritten by a new one which was regenerated by a stored data-file like yabb uses it atm.

Hope that clears some things up. Grin 8)

Makes sense, but a bit of a pain in the ass to code from the current YaBB, I should think. For boards that get a lot posting, though, I don't think the speed improvement would be that good. People would just be posting replies and having new HTML files created every few seconds, which would be more of a strain on the server, I think. And what happens if two concurrent requests come for an updated HTML file?

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 10:20pm

Hello

dOCda S is right that would give more speed to YaBB, but thats not the main reson. I have a VERY good reason for this....and I'll share it with you:

Google 'spiders' the web every 28 days or so..., and it gives preferences in their search results to STATIC pages (not DYNAMIC).

I know this is hard case, thats why there is a $100 reard on it.

Like you guys said before you have a mod that will convert evrything to .html so you browse the YABB offline or on CD (I dont know who will use CD) someone said that before lol.......

But if somehow on the static html, can we link it somehow to the real YaBB. To the same tread. Maybe like redirection. I am sorry guys but i am kida dum with real programming.

By the way guys  did you go to school  or how did you study perl?

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 10:41pm

paulpma wrote on Feb 21st, 2002 at 10:20pm:
dOCda S is right that would give more speed to YaBB, but thats not the main reson.

If you're not good with programming, how do you know it will give more speed?

Quote:
Google 'spiders' the web every 28 days or so..., and it gives preferences in their search results to STATIC pages (not DYNAMIC).

What ARE you talking about? It seems to me you're saying that Google only marks pages that aren't dynamic? Not true, it has indexed several of my YaBB pages.

Quote:
I know this is hard case, thats why there is a $100 reard on it.

"Hard" is worth MUCH more than $100.

Quote:
Like you guys said before you have a mod that will convert evrything to .html so you browse the YABB offline or on CD

I believe this was a proposed idea, not an actual mod.

Quote:
But if somehow on the static html, can we link it somehow to the real YaBB. To the same tread. Maybe like redirection.

It gets harder as you talk. How would you be able to tell if the page should be a redirection? And why?

Quote:
By the way guys  did you go to school  or how did you study perl?

Learned on my own. Reading, experimenting.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 10:50pm

I studied the YaBB script files and a few other scripts on the web and then read "Learning Perl".  I started learning perl and things cgi in November so it doesn't take long to learn the basics (learning the not so basic stuff may take longer but I wouldn't know, I ain't there yet).  There are a couple good web based tutorials on perl, just search for perl tutorial in Google.

On the subject of Googlebot:  My forum got picked up with no problems within a couple weeks of coming online.  If your site gets picked up at all, then the bot should revisit and find your forum.  One way to help the bot is to have links to your forum from several pages on your server and use metatags with forum, bulletin board, discussion, etc.

Dan

Please include your forum address in all requests for assistance.  It greatly speeds things along.
IP Logged

Shoeb Omar
God Member

Mod Writer

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2002 at 12:31am

i learned by looking at code for hours and hours. never read a book - those things are waaay too boring and the good one's cost oo much Wink..

well, guess i should have got a book as just looking ta code has made me lose my hair  Embarrassed Grin

YaBB SP2 BETA!
Now taking pay jobs in PHP or Perl.  Contact me for details.
IP Logged

paulpma

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2002 at 1:25am

I Did not say that GOOGLE wouldnot idex Dynamic Pages. They Do, but they give prefference to STATIC. Plus there is many search engines that will do the same thing. SO YOU ARE LOOSING TRAFFIC.

@Omario

In the last verse you mentioned that loose hair etc... Why is it happening is it because of the computers that we sit too much in front of them. Cause I noticed the same thing. I have been making a websited and I have noticed that my hair is startng to fall out. Acually since i bought my computer I have noticed that. Do monitors have effects on our hair? I changed my monitor to LCD it is the same thing tho, So I think maybe because we think too much!!!!!!!!! Any Ideas.

Going Bold.

Paul.

IP Logged

Shoeb Omar
God Member

Mod Writer

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2002 at 1:57am

lmao! paul i was just kidding - trying to infer that because i was looking at so much code i was pulling my hair out! lol Smiley

ive actually grown hair to be honest! Smiley

YaBB SP2 BETA!
Now taking pay jobs in PHP or Perl.  Contact me for details.
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2002 at 2:51am

Shoeb Omar wrote on Feb 22nd, 2002 at 1:57am:
ive actually grown hair to be honest! Smiley

Lol, me too. To get that shaggy coder look, dontcha know. Tongue

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint