Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mods for Money (Read 60862 times)
multikon

Hakuna Matata

Mods for Money
Dec 1st, 2008 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Who is Where V1.0 for YaBB 2.3/2.3.1
Quote:
Payment Info:
=============
"WiW?"-Mod, Support and Updates for one year:

- 41,00 Euro (~ 52,00 USD) for one forum
- 82,00 Euro (~ 104 USD) for unlimited forums under one Top Level Domain (TLD)
- unlimited forums under each additional TLD of the same owner: + 41,00 Euro (~ 52,00 USD)

Ask me for the Paypal / Account information.

Installation:
=============
We don't send you the Mod-file, we do the modding for you!
Send us a zip file with your Admin, Language, Sources files and Variables/taborder.txt. We send you the modded zip back and you just upload it on your server again. Your files can contain other preinstalled Mods, we look for compatibility.
Alternatively you can give me ftp access to your server and I will do it all for you without extra fee.

We need to know the URL to the forum (http://..../YaBB.pl) where the Mod will be used. The Mod will not work in other place!

Copyright:
=============
This Mod is copyright protected!

You are only allowed to run the Mod under the TLD/path you told us!

Hi Yabbers all over the world!

Is this the dark future of yabb?

Aren't these mods based on an open source software?

cya

beware ... yabb goes wbb ^^

ccarr
Ex Member

Re: Mods for Money
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Surely not on this forum ??

I'm disappointed to see this I must admit. I know many have been looking forward to this mod coming out.  Cry

Let's hope some of the new mod writers bring out their own versions.

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I may make an enemy here ... I hope not, I would regret that.

But I have some issues here.

First off, the forum is open source. Maybe the idea will catch on, and there will be more and more 'pay' options with things where the base product is open source. But I'm not sure how much I like it.

Secondly, I don't understand it in regards to this particular mod. While it is a popular mod, I have never considered it a make or break mod. It isn't one that I wait to upgrade until it is available. While it is kind of nice, I don't find it anywhere near that special of a mod.

Third, the price seems a little steep. Over $50 bucks for a small code addition to the main software? That is more than a good percentage of entire software packages sell for. Some mods I might pay a little for, but there is probably only one mod on Earth that I would pay $50 for. (That's what I offered Carsten to update the quiz mod, if I remember correctly ... he updated the mod, and told me to never mind the payment ... just buy him a drink, some day.) Certain mods that are popular enough with me, I might spend something like $5 on (assuming I had the money ... out of work right now), but not $50.

Finally, why this mod? Why something which has been around for four or five years, in many different flavors, with many different authors. I would understand more if it were a MAJOR new feature, coded entirely by Jet Li. Above the entire question of mods for pay (which as I said, I might consider in small amounts) is why this mod?!?

I just don't understand it.

But I think there is going to be some debate, and I think there NEEDS to be some debate.

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I'm basically with batchman - FIFTY BUCKS? !  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ya know its a cute idea, but I have been living with those statcounter maps, and folks have fun with them

I pay regularly for shareware in the $30-80 range, but I'm also getting a lot most of the time.

BUT IF its all his own code, and none of it its lifted I suppose its good luck,,,  I know in the US there was recently a case where modifying open source was found to be copyrightable, and the authors claims were upheld. I haven't Googled for it, LOL. but it was in tha last year.

* JonB calculates time to draw map by hand

Grin

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I was going to try and stay out of this for risk of upsetting people, but seeing as I have been posting here a little, I feel like I should voice my two penneth.

First of all, I can see that the developers work hard on a smashing piece of software for free, and can see why they would like to make a little bit of money on the side from it. But, personally, I just can’t see how it can happen.

I was actually quite shocked to see it, I seriously thought it was a joke for a start.  I really don’t know if I would even pay $5 for an add-on,  but... 34 UK Pounds? My Brother is the developer of a successful Mac Program, and that retails cheaper than that Mod.

Considering that other forum software has similar features built in as default, 52,00 USD felt a bit like your Granny was trying to pinch your last bit of change. It made me wonder, what other Mods are we going to have to pay for? The Calendar Mod? ... Two or Three Mods at that price and people could afford to buy vBulletin and be happy in the fact that they have a policy that Modders can’t charge for Mods.

I just think that it runs the risk of dividing people... Like the rich and the poor... You can have this, but you can’t.

The fun part about most forum software is customizing your forum, playing around with Mods and other people being happy to share their ideas... Most people who use YaBB can’t program and look forward to these long awaited Mods coming out.... So, it just feels like a bit of a kick in the wotsits really.

The YaBB forum that I run for a friend is still on 2.1 because I’m in the same boat as everyone else, just waiting for these Mods to be released.... So, to start charging for them could easily spell the end for a lot of people.

I just don’t like the idea that we get a great bit of free software and then be charged for an add-on. I wouldn’t like to see people come here just trying to make a quick Buck. I haven’t been here that long, but reading through the old posts, it seems like there used to be a really close community here. It would be nice to have that back... Surely this isn’t the way.

I just think that people will start going elsewhere if they have to pay those prices.

But anyway, apart from our opinion, I'm sure everyone would like to hear the reasons and opinions of those involved, the developers, the moderators and the people who run this and the YaBB board.

It certainly would spell a major change for the future of YaBB.

But, as I say, I can understand why those involved would want to make a bit of money and it was great to see Board Viewers spring up today.

I hope that sounded okay, the last thing I intend is to upset anyone or sound ungrateful.

Mmmm!

IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Where was this quoted from?

Jet, are you really charging money to install the mod? It isn't that much code, I have the old version. It seems way to much. Maybe 50 bucks to install or update an entire forum and install the mods that the client requests...but one mod?

I dont think this is real...  ???

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Ahh, JetLi cleared some things up for me via PM.

I still believe it is a bit too much but users releasing mods that JetLi has put hard work into is against morals. Not necessarily rules, but against morals.

How would all of us feel if we designed a revolutionary new gas saving method and someone else took it and only changed the name...

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Well, in order to be fair, I feel it is important to make mention of the fact that others have put work into most of these mods, as well. They are mods that others like Xonder first created.

Jet Li has been updating them to 2.3, and making some improvements, but it isn't like he created them from scratch. And no offense, but he has been updating them a little slowly. I realise that is in part because he is trying to improve them, but it also means that we have to wait a lot longer to have the mods available on our forums, seemingly because Jet Li has been taking on a bit too much.

This isn't meant to be an attack on Jet Li, but I can see the other side of things, as well. I am trying to update some of these mods, myself, just to get them out there, even if only on my board.

And what about the Games mod? It might be the next one to show up with a price tag. If it does, though, I may try and release my own version for free. And I have the permission of the two original authors already, since I was the person who did the 1.3.1 version of the mod.

Jet Li and Multikon do not get along at all, but the issues are not black and white. Neither one is an angel while the other one is a devil.

Jet Li probably doesn't like me at this point (hopefully I am wrong, and he can understand where I am coming from, even if he doesn't agree with me), but it is a multi-faceted issue. So as we debate and reason about it, let's try to keep it about the complex issues, and not simply assign one-sided blame.

(And this isn't meant to be an attack on Unilat, either ... I just want to help show the other viewpoint.)

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
This mod was written from scratch by someone at some point, yes. And if it wasnt JetLi (and I'm not sure who did the first version) then JetLi has permission as he updated the last version that I know of. It is still his right and the original author's then to update the mod when they choose and to not have others infringe on that.

The reason this mod is begin charged for is because it has been violated in that sense. I completely agree with JetLi (except about the price  Cheesy)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that people can not put pressure on those who develop in their spare time. It was done for free and in the spirit of being free it takes time. It seems a bit greedy to get something that you would have otherwise not had for free and then be angry at the giver for not upgrading it in due time.

Be happy for what you have basically and don't steal  Tongue

Those users who truly want the mod and have reason Im sure could easily get JetLi to do it for free or even upgrade themselves, as it is very minimal in changes. JetLi is doing this to keep those that steal and release from taking his now updated code and doing the same thing for future versions.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

chillipepper

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Sorry all but i just wanted to know abit more about what is to be charge and whats free..am not a coder so i did think i should stay out of this.but some many things are popin up..am not goin to have a dig at anyone but would like a better understandin with what about to change with this boardmod..
1=why as 3-4 mods release today and only charge for 1..
2=what kind of mods to be charge and whats free..meanin new ideas mods v old mods updated
3=what stops other coders now gettin a old mod and changin afew bits then charge for new mods.

am only askin and this is not ment to upset anyone ..am just a guy that was lookin forward to afew nice updated mods..

IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Only this mod is being charged for, as there has been attempts to take it and update it without permission.

I think JetLi's intention is to only charge for those that are being abused.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Unilat wrote on Dec 1st, 2008 at 11:59pm:
The reason this mod is begin charged for is because it has been violated in that sense.

Jet Li put me straight too... I can understand why now.

IP Logged

chillipepper

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Unilat wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:15am:
Only this mod is being charged for, as there has been attempts to take it and update it without permission.

ummm so if we want this mod we have to pay $50..which idot tryed to update jet li mod without permission..they should all know the rules by now Cry

IP Logged

deti

YaBB is the best!!!

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 1:23am
Print Post  
We live in a free world!

We can give our code to everyone for free or we can take money for it if we think it is worth. Every coder can decide for himself how he wants it.

Some of you don't like this because you are accustom to get everything for free in your life. I can understand that - but not everybody thinks like you do.
Many users did ask for the "Who is Where?" Mod since a long, long time and nobody offered himself to update it. Why didn't you do it, if it is so easy to code it as you say?
Now we had admins asking for exactly this Mod and they were willing to pay much, much more to get it. Instead of coding and giving this Mod to only those who can pay a good price for it, we decide to offer it for a much lower price to all of the BoardMod community who wants it (and I think 41 Euro* is not much money for a high quality mod). So if you want it you will have to pay for it or you must code it yourself. Or you leave it. It's up to you. Nobody can force you.

We live in a free world, so feel free to code it yourself. As long as you code it yourself from scratch you don't break the copyright.

* Maybe 52 USD looks much, but this may be because of the bad exchange between USD and EUR.

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
Johann Wolfgang Goethe

IP Logged

Captain John

Pass to Port !

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Absolutely .. against morals ... The original Modder approve this ?  Charging for "his" Mod ?
  And Michael is approving this trend ???
  I can see sites being setup now ... Previous MODs updated and/or enhanced without MODders approval .. charging or not.  Grab someone's idea and give away ... or charge less and still  undermine others who are making a buck at users expense.
   I applaud deti and Jet Li on their work for the last few upgrades of YaBB and the MODs they have updated (others MODs) and even the MODs they have created from scratch.
  But charge .... I am sure there are other coders that can and will hack MODs, even if they have to start a New hackers MOD site.
  The "rules" here are really to tight ... MOD legends who haven't been back here to update/assist members for a year or more should give up there rights and the MODs should be public property .. try to email them .. No answers ...
  I have 64+ MODs running on Y2.2.3 ... I MODded them .. since I can not Post them here ...  5 to 10 bucks ?  I'd share. (just kidding ... or am I ?)

Love to live and love on the water

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint