Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mods for Money (Read 60505 times)
JonB

Gee I don't know

Re: Mods for Money
Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:40am
Print Post  
I write software (not in Perl) and do systems work, and I charge for it.  There is nothing wrong with that.  So I am not against paying for software, period. I have a license for every piece of software I use, period. Its a BUNCH of money. I have 4 servers and about 5 workstations, all with the right number of licenses. I have NO idea of how many pieces of software I have but prolly between 100-200

I guessed last year I have about 20-25K$ in current software licenses. 

I'm really really unsure how I feel about code not written from scratch. I have fingers that are saying bad bad and others that are saying maybe.  Like I said in my first post, if Jet wrote it ground up - he can do as he wishes.  Where I run into a problem is that I don't know what the license was for the earlier code. So someone will have to educate me on this issue.

NO ONE should be able to re-use code some one writes UNLESS the license says they can.  And that is what copyright law says at the moment.

I think no matter the exchange rate, that's pretty steep for one mod.

Now, being fair - without trying to get right with the software license issue - if Jet were to have a 'mod group'  says 3 or 4 mods he fixed up and made better (not just updated) and he said the bundle is $50 I might get warm on the idea,  (at the moment I don't run mods)

my 'personal' feeling is its not worth much more than that.  JUST MY OPINION

And if I were to get a mod that I paid for I'd want a bug-fix assurance.  I give a six month one.

my tuppence

IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 4:03am
Print Post  
AND (LOL)

No matter how I feel on this particular issue, I want to make clear (looking at who is in this thread) that I have total respect for all the contributions made by these folks, some I know a bit better than others. But I do know that everybody here puts in huge efforts on Yabb.

8)

IP Logged

ccarr
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 4:32am
Print Post  
@Captain John
Quote:
The "rules" here are really to tight ... MOD legends who haven't been back here to update/assist members for a year or more should give up there rights and the MODs should be public property .. try to email them .. No answers ...
 I have 64+ MODs running on Y2.2.3 ... I MODded them .. since I can not Post them here ...  5 to 10 bucks ?  I'd share. (just kidding ... or am I ?)

Well worded Captain John.

I have a couple of questions/comments.

Is it just the code for "Who is Where" that is protected or is it also the idea/functionality of the mod? In other words. Can anybody create a similar plug-in with similar functionality, new code and call it something different. If yes then code writers could see this as a challenge.

I don't have a problem with a mod writer deciding to charge for a mod, if it is theirs and the original writer not only allows them to update the mod but also gives permission to charge for it. The issue I have is that it is being sold or advertised through this forum I feel that this is abuse of privileges and many will also feel cheated. As far as I know there was no warning that there would be a price tag.

I received the following message but didn't understand it. Apparently this is the reason:

Quote:
(Today at 22:16) Jet Li has sent you the following Instant Message:

Quote deleted by ccarr - Jet Li was not happy that I posted his PM. Fair enough.

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008 at 10:35am by »  

IP Logged

Captain John

Pass to Port !

Reply #18 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Agree ccarr .. As for the YaBB Software itself ,, We don't charge for it .. and NO Developer has ever charged for their work.  We supply Support for it at No charge.
   Many Hackers have created MODs for users of YaBB.  They have NEVER charged.  Many users have modified MODs for their own use and possibly passed to a friend who would have no idea how to update for a New YaBB Version ..  It is a shame so many MODders and YaBB Legends have abandoned their MODs.
   Open Source "IS" Open Source.  Don't take credit for someone elses work .. Don't charge for it and Don't gather rights to hold users at ransom.

Love to live and love on the water

IP Logged

ccarr
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:43am
Print Post  
A simple message saying "Donations Welcome" or "PayPal Donate" is good. I'll often download software to see if it will do what I want it to do, and if it does, I lookout for the donation button and sometimes contribute.

Most users of YaBB, myself included, are in it purely for the fun of playing around with their websites. Most, like my self, know a little about how Perl works but not enough to build from scratch. YaBB is the perfect software for that. In my case I use YaBB for a site to raise money for an orphanage that we are building in Africa. We are not payed by anyone to do this so we depend on free software to achieve our goals. In this we are really greatful to all the YaBB developers and mod writers.

On the other hand I have worked with companies that pay a fortune for bespoke software. I have no major problem with this as it's business. A similar thing could possibly be done where YaBB allows a bespoke version to be used at a cost but for business use and completely independent of the general open source version and a available via a dedicated website. Maybe this exists already, I don't know?

IP Logged

Ikari-Kun
God Member

Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Besides the fact, that I don't like the thought to pay for mods, I would like to hear a statement from JetLi in this Thread.
It seems that he has been PMing some posters and talked bad about other users. And doing something like this, without giving those users the chance to answer to these accusation, is really not fair.

perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'

depablo

Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I use free forum software because I cannot afford VBullitin. YaBB in my opinion is useless without mods and paying for mods will force people to go elsewhere.

This could have a major impact on the success of YaBB, developers would be advised to tread carefully how they proceed.

depablo

IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I have always liked the Donate-ware concept.  I have a site under construction that will use a Donate button. A friend of mine operates this way and has been very pleasantly surprised.

@CJ - I didn't get it in before, but I agree about abandoned mods, And certainly modders can say 'enough' at any time,  Maybe this is really about having a consenus license for Code posted on BoardMod?

I guess that in the 'the decider' is really Michael Prager as (it appers to me) BoardMod is really his baby... And it does say 'The Open Source Project for Yabb'. Does 'Open' imply free? to "me" it does.   So after thinking more, if I knew nothing at all (which is probably true anyway) and arrived at BoardMod, I would expect that things found here were free. I think there is a lot of confusion about Open Source, and I count myself among those without a good working definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

Anyone has the right to create their own Yabb-oriented site - like YabbToolbar.com (and its a nice site with useful stuff)  

Smiley

IP Logged

Captain John

Pass to Port !

Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Very Well stated JonB ... Anyone using YaBB or using MODs on a Commercial site should buy and pay for rights of use. 
    We all know .. 90% or even a larger number of YaBB Users do it for fun ... do it for a specific need ... Not for profit.

Love to live and love on the water

IP Logged

deti

YaBB is the best!!!

Reply #24 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The original Modder approve this ?  Charging for "his" Mod ?

As far as I know this wasn't discussed when he gave the copyrights to Jet Li. But now it's up to Jet Li.

Nevertheless I had to write the "Who is Where?" Mod from scratch because of too many changes since YaBB 2.1. Even the output looks nearly the same, the routines in the script are totally different from those of the original coder. Additionally I added functionalities an features that were not in the original.

JonB wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:40am:
Where I run into a problem is that I don't know what the license was for the earlier code. So someone will have to educate me on this issue.
Quote:
Is it just the code for "Who is Where" that is protected or is it also the idea/functionality of the mod? In other words. Can anybody create a similar plug-in with similar functionality, new code and call it something different. If yes then code writers could see this as a challenge.

As the copyright from the old WiW? wasn't for the name or the idea, only for the code. I can say that there is no copyright abuse or violation even if the original Modder not gave the copyright to Jet Li.

JonB wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:40am:
And if I were to get a mod that I paid for I'd want a bug-fix assurance.  I give a six month one.

We give support and updates for one year!

Quote:
I don't have a problem with a mod writer deciding to charge for a mod, if it is theirs and the original writer not only allows them to update the mod but also gives permission to charge for it. The issue I have is that it is being sold or advertised through this forum I feel that this is abuse of privileges and many will also feel cheated. As far as I know there was no warning that there would be a price tag.

If you wish we can release/publish this Mod on another forum if Michael Prager doesn't allow it here. We have no problem with this - but this will not solve the problem that this Mod will not be available for free.

Personally I have no problem to see free software and software you must pay for side by side. I think this can even be a spur for some moders to create more and more sophisticated mods.
I also can imagine that really good, payed Mods (not only those) can be introduced after a certain time into the default YaBB code.
Both can/will be a benefit for the whole YaBB software and community.

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
Johann Wolfgang Goethe

IP Logged

mick

I love YaBB

Reply #25 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
I'm aghast and disappointed.

And for them who want to know it, Mod-History:

original mod (YaBB 1.xx) by 'DaddyCool, dOCda S!, Gobalopper, Delrick', Xonder

IP Logged

ThM
God Member

Reply #26 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I appreciate the work of Deti and JetLi very much. They have experience, knowledge and afford professional help ..... but, ... as long as I'm here in the mod board community it was always a focal point for enthusiasts and other voluntary, their free of charge their experience in the form of other mods available and have helped that YaBB popular forums such a system is ... Pity for the unnecessary debate. For me personally: Payed mods goes to another point.

Greeting ThM

IP Logged

Jeff
God Member

There are no bugs there
are only features

Reply #27 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
mick wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:40pm:
I'm aghast and disappointed.

And for them who want to know it, Mod-History:

original mod (YaBB 1.xx) by 'DaddyCool, dOCda S!, Gobalopper, Delrick', Xonder

WiW mod is 90 Procent rewriting. Also all different. So what? You not know what file we have now in our zip.

I agree with deti.

greetings
Jeff
IP Logged

mick

I love YaBB

Reply #28 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
All Modder before you need to rewrite the code. They
made it for free. I'm sure, you asked Xonder to update
his Mods. Did you asked him, to update and sell them?

It's the same Mod-Idea, the same Name and the same
Result (how I see on your Board).

IP Logged

deti

YaBB is the best!!!

Reply #29 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
mick wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 6:24pm:
All Modder before you need to rewrite the code. They
made it for free.

This doesn't mean, that it has to be that way for all and for ever. Does it? Sometimes it's good to go new ways - or at least to discuss about it.

Honestly, I really appreciate this discussion here!

mick wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 6:24pm:
It's the same Mod-Idea, the same Name and the same
Result (how I see on your Board).

Yes, but the code is totally different (new).
Windows and Linux also have both a graphical user interface but the code to see it is totally different. Wink

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.