Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [APP] YaBBLite (WYSIWYG/CSS Editor) (Read 26084 times)
Unilat

Re: [APP] YaBBLite (WYSIWYG/CSS Editor)
Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
All very good suggestions JonB.

The one about selected different stylsheets from a url is possible. You have to click "Load From Site" under file. If there is more than one external stylesheet it will load them into a list and allow you to select one/all of them.

So you want a "Load File From Site" beside the url box. That is logical, I can do that.

I should be able to make an easy history drop down.

Also, I have a working FTP client attached to it (just a small username, password, host, and directory kind of thing) to upload finished css files. So that will be in the next version.

Finding unreferenced classes would be easy as well. I'll see what I can do and how I can implement it.

Thanks and I'll get back to you when I release it!

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Found little Bug

does not support RGB color model

for 'private use' prolly not an issue.  95% of color values are stated in hex or hex3

but ... its definitely a supported data type for color attribute..

this was the string pased "rgb(255, 255, 255)"

Yabblite parses the file OK, but when you click on the color style, you get a non-fatal unhandled error 'input string was not in a correct format

I got it when I hit a Fornt Page Extensions page. I looked at the code and its a mix of rgb and hex. I have used FP a lot - it uses the Windows color Picker (like your app does) I haven't at this point tried to determine when or how it makes the decision about notation style.

Not being a real expert I did soem reading ...
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#color-units

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_units.asp

It doesn't look like rgb notation is deprecated.

and then I found these ...

http://www.nabble.com/Why-does-%24%28%27a%27%29.css%28%27color%27%29--return-rgb...

http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimpcolor/libgimpcolor-GimpRGB.html

I'd send you the file but I see nowhere to attach...

JonB shuts up not wanting to be a PITA
Lips Sealed

LOL - its  OK to tell me to shut up or whatever, but I like it and its useful to me, Was trying to match a froum to a web page - NO werky (for now)

IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks

We were both posting at the same time

on Two Style Sheets -what I was really meaning was not how cascades or multiple attached externals work - that works great. I have a couple of Wordpress ones that have width variants - that works fine with your tool.

What I meant was having two variants of the same file in memory. THink of Yabb themee Css

Load A, you like it - but want to match some things From B. Load B Toggle, fix, update toggle fix...

Its OK

tool is cool

Could use a better color picker, maybe one with the 'HTML pallette' option

* JonB shuts up finally - its your project, LOL

IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I had thought about multiple windows. That shouldn't be too difficult either. But it'll take a bit since I'm still working on other things. rgb wouldnt be too bad to support either. Thats just a simple check to see if "rgb" is contained in the style and then convert it to a color that way.

What do you mean HTML pallette option? Doesnt the current pallete have full color options?

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
AHHHH -

* JonB is not always that bright.

I found another error using your tool. I can't figure this one out though it looks like a parsing error. Again it ocurred on the color attribute.

See attached.

As for RGB method, there are two supported notations RGB byte value (0-255) per channel nd RGB percentage 0-100% per channel. I have never used the last method, but I was able to finf plentry of references to using it. I can see how it would be very useful in generating charts or manipulating things like color wheel selectors for theme builders. (for eample <wink>)  In things like jscript applets etc.

If you are going to make this general purpose, I suggest you DON'T convert RGB values to hex and then write that to the updated file. For a couple of very sound reasons.

Here's my thinking.

Presumably - if there rgb notation in the source Stylesheet then the authors/collaborators may use that method in other sheets as well. Writing it back in hex, will make bug tracking very difficult.

I also realize that in 'mixed' notation - you wouldn't want to have to add a field or flag for color method notation.

Here's 'my idea'
offer an option to 'Convert Color to' <hex>, <rgbB> <rgb%> and make a conversion pass.

And if they don't, then the code stays in its original state - i.e. mixed.  Persumably, if the syntax is right, it will render correctly.

I know you are busy on many things (so am I - can you say 14 hrs day - lol), so respond only when you have a chance

I do think you have the basis for a nice piece of shareware or donate ware here. The littlest pieces of software are often the most useful. I do lots of graphic stuff and I would be lost without all my wonky toys like rulers, colorpickers. color guides and my own prototyping color-schema tools (nothing as elaborate as this, lol)  Other than full blown CSS editors, I'm not aware of another tool this lightweight that works quite like this... Good Work.

OK I should say God Bless ACDSee. BreezeBrowse and N'amo for cutting huges amounts of time from my work.

You probably already have this link BUT if not -
http://www.december.com/html/spec/colordef.html

I think they have some of the best, most comprehensive discussions of color.

I don't know how much you think about this aspect, but I wound up with a collaborator who was a color blind artist! that's a head shaker, huh?. No affect on the processing centers, and a purely genetic inhibitor on receptors. BUT a practical impossibility. (He dropped out of art school and became a nurse - still draws for me though)  He made me think about testing web designs that are 'subtle' to make sure color 'cueing' isn't a problem in the interface. In the end I developed some rules of thumb based on luminosity that worked very well - with some help indirectly from Photoshop's web color picker.  I'll round up some good color picker examples and forward them.  I have links on that stuff if you want them.

Smiley

the error I menioned is attached

thanks for all your work

8)

yabblite-color_error.jpg ( 49 KB | Downloads )
yabblite-color_error.jpg

IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #20 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Implemented:

- History for web browsing with drop down box.
- support for hex without #
- support for rgb values
- support for rgb % values
- support for alpha colors
- bug fixes with color routines
- improved button functionality, removal of over 100 lines of uneeded functions to replace with one function that can handle all the custom buttons.
- Working FTP upload. Requires username, host, password, and file name when uploading.
- Bug fixes from the bugs Captain John expained earlier.

To come:
- Color conversion buttons?
- Windows for multiple files open.
- CSS sorting?
- Load from site button on url toolstrip.

I'll update you as I go.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Wow - you are the energizer bunny Unilat!

I realize now why I got that error - no hash!

that's not valid CSS is it?  are you coing to auto-fix bare hex to make it valid CSS?

I used to use TopStyle from Newsgator, but it was too much - like CoffeeCup's CSS thingy, its really more than needed for working with CSS alone - both are meant to compliment HTML editors.

I don't believe in recommending to software authors that they do what other offerings do.  You might keep them from exploring a great idea that comes as a challenge.  But I do believe in Market Research.  Not so much for how things are done, but to have an idea of what options your users will have and what your unique strengths will be.  Even if one product is free and another costs some amount of money - that is not often the deciding factor for utility software. I have a PILE of paid, licensed utility software. Quite a few I have two or more of... and some free ones as well. The right tool for each job.  Grin

so with that in mind here's a pretty comprehensive very recent review of Css Editors I found today...

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/06/19/css-editors-reviewed/

I'm sure there are a couple of real gems in there

8)

BTW I have a 'silly' question - is this your first standalone utility program? (I have no idea) If it is, its a good 'un. LOL

IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #22 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Found by the wayside -
GeckoFX

http://www.skybound.ca/projects/

Verrrry Interesting....

IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #23 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Implemented:

- Multiple windows.
- Drag bar to expand the left half (selectors and whatnot)
- Improved Update of the Style Value, only re-prints edited area to code rather than the entire code. (This will throw off syntax highlighting)

To Do:
- Choose which stylsheets opened you want cascaded onto the webpage
- Load From Site on Toolstrip
- Sorting
- Color Conversion

One thing that I recognized while looking through that list you provided. This application and the Stylelizer are the only two that provide real-time editing (I was thinking of the real time color adjustment as well/width adjustment)

Also, most of those provided were code based editors. They had preview but the code was what needed to be edited to change it. Stylelizer and YaBBLite both share the fact that it has GUI rather than plain old code editing. Also, as far as I can tell, YaBBLite and Stylelizer are the only ones that give preview to any online website and can load css from that site.

Which makes me happy because I have all the features that the best editor on the list has (well, the major features anyways)  Wink

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #24 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Good!

I agree completely actually - I'm not buying their program, I thinks its waay too much for a CSS editor.  I have a mental rulle ultilities unless they do an AWFUL lot - max price 35-50.  At the 50 end they better be mighty good!, LOL

I have paid more but rarely.  ACDSee and Breeze Browse are essentials for me. I do huge amoints of photo stuff and they have seen me in good stead.

I've gots lots of Font and Graphic stuff - I'd say average price maybe $39.95 - who remembers, LOL

I also buy the very best tools Like Photoshop Illustrator and Premiere all of whihc get a lot of use. But I need all teh stuuf they do.

And there are open source stuff I like - besides Yabb, Audacity is great, and Hmail is free, but not open source - still great,.!!!

I think why soem of the free projects really shine is the early project leaders/developers stick around.  Corey here and Martin at Hmail.
Wink

JMHO, LOL

JonB whispers CSS Validator, LOL

IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #25 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 1:19am
Print Post  
In the last item - I was kidding a bit - You can't get every feature in an alpha product - you need more beta testers to do dumb stuff, LOL!

would you like me to recruit a few beta testers?  I have no idea how you feel, or what your plans are...

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #26 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 2:07am
Print Post  
I'll take all the testers I can get. You can push it to the limits. Once I get up those last few changes I mentioned I'll put up a new download for you to test.

I will most likely add a Validator. Just one that uploads the source to the W3C checker, that shouldn't be hard at all.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #27 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I sent you an email from my Yahoo account..

Wink

IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #28 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Hey Jon,

I didnt seem to get the email...So just PM or try resending it.

Heres some more things I've added now:

- Load From Site on Toolstrip
- Recognition of Internal stylesheets when loading from site.
- Ability to open selected stylesheets to seperate files or cascade them to one.
- Tag recognition (Right click on selector, hit highlight, and all tags that apply to it are highlighted with a red dashed border in the WebBrowser)
- Sort by name
- Define color. Allows you to name a color choice whatever you want. Any time you use that color name in a "color" tag of the CSS, the color assigned to it will be applied)
- Much better looking drop down menus for the MenuStrip at the top. I styled it to be more YaBB oriented.

TODO:
- More work on tag highlighting. It currently does not work for hierarchy selectors such as: table div a:hover and also does not work for multiple assigned selectors such as: a:hover,a:visited,span
- Point and click selector finding. Will allow you to click (possibly ctrl+click) on the WebBrowser and the element you have chosen will show which class/selector is being applied to it. (will highlight it in the selector list)

This is becoming awesome!  Wink

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #29 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
OK will do

I should ask this "out here" about how many folks are using this besides you and me, LOL?

I'm looking forward to your next release.  I have run into some issues but they are definitley advanced use issues. I'll write them up and capture the errors prolly Trursday

Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint