Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Extended Profiles v2.2 for YaBB2 (Read 50091 times)
MagGyver

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Re: Extended Profiles v2.2 for YaBB2
Reply #420 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Michael, I see that you replied to shane, who posted after my question...would there be any chance you could look at my post above his and offer me some feedback? Much appreciated.

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #421 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Well it looks to me like the mod is not compatible with the extended profiles mod. I don't have time to figure out a workaround right now though.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

MagGyver

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #422 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 12:08am
Print Post  
OK, thanks for getting back to me anyway. Too bad, as these are pretty much the two most useful mods to our BBS. I will remain hopeful that a workaround becomes available.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #423 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Michael ... is there any halfway simple way to create an extra profile field that will display in a custom place in posts, rather than at the same place as all others?

I am trying to use your Extended Profiles mod to replace the Custom Title mod for 1.3, but it would only really work well if the custom title were displayed up near the regular title.

Probably no simple way, but no harm in asking.

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #424 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
actually it's pretty simple Wink

You only need these two lines of code to get the value of an extended profile field, no matter where in the code you use it:

Code
Select All
require "$sourcedir/ExtendedProfiles.pl";
$value = ext_get($musername,"fieldname"); 

where $musername is the name of the user (in Display.pl this is the name of the user of the post to display) and "fieldname" is the field id of your extended profile field.

If you save the value into a variable starting with "$yy", then you can automatically use this in your template file. Here is a more complete example:

Code
Select All
require "$sourcedir/ExtendedProfiles.pl";
$yycustom = ext_get($musername,"custom"); 

and in your Display.template add <yabb custom>.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #425 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
And that just *might* be simple enough that I can do it! THANK YOU!!!!! (Two or three years ago, when I was tweaking tiny bits of YaBB all the time, I would have been even more confident.)

Now a question ... what would be the result if a particular user had no custom title? These get added for humor value at times, or as a reward when people make their 500th post, so there are lots who do not have a custom title.

Would nothing be generated, or a blank line, or an error? (I'm hoping for nothing, myself.) Oh, and to keep it from displaying twice, I assume I would just set it not to display anywhere -in- extended profiles, because I'm just assigning it in the mod, but calling it kind of manually, elsewhere.

Oh, another even more improtant question ... where would one want to put the coding in display.pl? Is there an area where all these yy statements are done, or should it be near the top or bottom?

I think I will go poking around a bit and see what I can learn! Again, THANK YOU!

Edited:
I can figure out where to add the code in the template ... that is very easy. And I will play around slightly to figure out formatting for it ... it should be simple.

I can't figure out where I would need to put the two lines in display.pl, however. That is a lot more complicated. Any advice on that bit?

I also have a question ... it looks like all of the side bar information is handled by the template, yet the template doesn't insert the extended profiles fields, afaik. How did you (generically, I wouldn't understand the details, anyway) keep it in that exact same area, yet use something different to do it?

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #426 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
batchman wrote on Mar 28th, 2008 at 3:35pm:
And that just *might* be simple enough that I can do it! THANK YOU!!!!! (Two or three years ago, when I was tweaking tiny bits of YaBB all the time, I would have been even more confident.)

Now a question ... what would be the result if a particular user had no custom title? These get added for humor value at times, or as a reward when people make their 500th post, so there are lots who do not have a custom title.

Would nothing be generated, or a blank line, or an error? (I'm hoping for nothing, myself.) Oh, and to keep it from displaying twice, I assume I would just set it not to display anywhere -in- extended profiles, because I'm just assigning it in the mod, but calling it kind of manually, elsewhere.

You guessed right, if the profile field is not set, the result will be an empty string.

Quote:
Oh, another even more improtant question ... where would one want to put the coding in display.pl? Is there an area where all these yy statements are done, or should it be near the top or bottom?

I think I will go poking around a bit and see what I can learn! Again, THANK YOU!

Edited:
I can figure out where to add the code in the template ... that is very easy. And I will play around slightly to figure out formatting for it ... it should be simple.

I can't figure out where I would need to put the two lines in display.pl, however. That is a lot more complicated. Any advice on that bit?

I'd recommend the bottom of sub Display, right before the &template; call:

Code
Select All
	&template;
	exit;
} 

Quote:
I also have a question ... it looks like all of the side bar information is handled by the template, yet the template doesn't insert the extended profiles fields, afaik. How did you (generically, I wouldn't understand the details, anyway) keep it in that exact same area, yet use something different to do it?

I didn't use a template tag, instead I just appended the additional fields to an existing yabb template variable.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #427 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Michael!

I think that makes three separate mods I have replaced, just by learning how to make more out of Extended Profiles!

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #428 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 5:08am
Print Post  
Unfortunately, the stuff above does not seem to work. It puts a blank line into the template, but not the custom title.

And now it is going to be a couple of days of playing with some other things until I can get back to it and start trying to figure out if I can come up with the reason of why it isn't working, before I return it to you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 
Send TopicPrint