Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NewsIndex 0.4 beta (Read 26876 times)
D0T-C0M
God Member

Re: NewsIndex 0.4 beta
Reply #45 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Is there a way to restrict unregistrered people from seeing the contents of a newsfeed index. The old news feed mod prevented unregistered people or people that didnt have the yabb forum cookie set to view the news_feed. I ask only because I run a game forum and we post the ip of the game server on the forum and have it also appear on the game website, but I don't really want anyone else to see the game server's IP for security reasons.

IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
God Member

YaBB?... Y Not?

Reply #46 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 10:37am
Print Post  
D0T-C0M wrote on Oct 16th, 2006 at 11:08pm:
Is there a way to restrict unregistrered people from seeing the contents of a newsfeed index. The old news feed mod prevented unregistered people or people that didnt have the yabb forum cookie set to view the news_feed. I ask only because I run a game forum and we post the ip of the game server on the forum and have it also appear on the game website, but I don't really want anyone else to see the game server's IP for security reasons.

Unfortunately, not yet.  I wasn't able to figure out the YaBB permissions before I released the current version of NewsIndex (and haven't really figured them out, yet).  Once I do figure them out, I'll build that into the NewsIndex mod.

Currently using Y2.3 With no mods (though that will hopefully change, soon).

Click Here To See A List Of All The Mods I've Written
IP Logged

Madkeen

Reply #47 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 11:02am
Print Post  
How are things going with this mod?

Have you been able to get anytime to work on teh features mentioned a while back?

IP Logged

Mr._E

Walk the talk and live
longer!!!!

Reply #48 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 11:07am
Print Post  
And could you please have a look at my question above and get back to me?

Cheers!

IP Logged

Dante_Bonn

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #49 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Hi there,

NewsIndex works great at my site. One thing I would like to add is the display of a picture I attached to a posting. Currently the picture is only shown in the board, not on the external page created with newsindex.

Any suggestions how to do this? If I am lucky there is a YaBB-Tag for the attachment that can be added to the template. Anybody know wether that is the case?

IP Logged

Madkeen

Reply #50 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 7:05am
Print Post  

Is this mod still being worked on?

IP Logged

smirnoff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #51 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Is there any way to show posts from all boards and not just one?

IP Logged

Hamarabi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #52 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Hello, there!  Great work on this mod.  WOW!  This is handy!  hehe

It's great that we can use separate templates for different boards.  This enables you to have the full title, date, time, message, etc for a "Latest News" section of your website, which comes from "Global Announcements" and another section that merely displays the title, for latest posts, that comes from your general board.  

Fantastic work!  Applaud!

Hamarabi

***Edit***
I wonder if there is a way to configure how many posts are shown for each template?  I would like to only show the latest 4 news titles and messages, coming from the Global Announcements and I have that set in the admin section of the forum.  However, with the General Board, using a different template, I would like to show the latest 8.  I have this template set to show, titles only.  I have the two templates configured properly, but I do not know how to configure the number of posts, other than the admin section of the forum.  The problem with that, is that what ever you put in there, for a number, applies to ALL templates.

If you would like to see what I am talking about, take a look here: http://gaming.download-warehouse.org/  In the "Latest News" section, I only want to show the latest 4, as you can see.  However, In the "Recent Posts" section at the top right, I would like to show the latest 8, to be consistent with the sections directly below.  This page is only here temporarily, until I get everything worked out.

Anyways, if you can help with this, I would really appreciate it.  If not, I can't complain, because you have done some amazing work and it's free!  Awesome!

***Edit***  I changed the name of the url from index6.php to just index.php
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2007 at 10:37pm by Hamarabi »  

IP Logged

Hamarabi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #53 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Anyone, still watching this board?  I bumped it, because I changed the URL from the temporary file name to index.php.  It is now my front page, but I still have the same problem.....see above.

Thanks for any replies!  Smiley

IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
God Member

YaBB?... Y Not?

Reply #54 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I'm sorry I've been MIA for such a long time.  My time incognito is not yet up, but it will hopefully be soon.  I have a whole lot of stuff going on IRL right now, and have very, very little time to do anything hobby-related.

However, I did want to pop in and give you this little nugget.  If you are looking to display a different number of topics on various templates, you can do the following:

In Sources/NewsIndex.pl look for:
Code
Select All
	if($INFO{'temp'}) {
		$temp = $INFO{'temp'};
	}
	else {
		$temp = "newsTemplate";
	}

Add after:
Code
Select All
	if($INFO{'items'}) {
		$newsitems = $INFO{'items'};
	}

That should make it so that you can add the switch "items" to your include statement, and that will assign how many topics are shown in that template.

In other words, your include statement could look like:
Code
Select All
<!-- #include virtual="/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?action=newsindex;newsboard=test;temp=mynews;items=25" --> 

which will show the 25 latest topics in that board on that template.

I haven't tested that code, but it should work.

Hopefully I'll start to have more time within the next month or two to start working on this mod again.  I've seen a lot of good suggestions in this topic and in my email inbox, and I'd really like to get those things added in.

Currently using Y2.3 With no mods (though that will hopefully change, soon).

Click Here To See A List Of All The Mods I've Written
IP Logged

Hamarabi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #55 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Perfect, my good man!  That did the trick.  

This little mod is, so handy.  I love it!

I can certainly understand how life's important matters squeeze out any hobby time, you may have.  For instance, I was invited to beta test a new software, which I was looking forward to, but alas, important life events always take priority.

Anyway, I would just like to thank you for this mod and the extra help customizing, it is a true "GEM" for any webmaster, or forum moderator!

Cheers!

Hamarabi

IP Logged

ExhaultedRuler

Up, Up, and Away!!

Reply #56 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Dante_Bonn wrote on Nov 17th, 2006 at 9:56pm:
Hi there,

NewsIndex works great at my site. One thing I would like to add is the display of a picture I attached to a posting. Currently the picture is only shown in the board, not on the external page created with newsindex.

Any suggestions how to do this? If I am lucky there is a YaBB-Tag for the attachment that can be added to the template. Anybody know wether that is the case?

You mean like this?
http://www.superman808.com/newsindex.shtm

Here is the actual board link;
http://www.superman808.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=isblog

What you do is create your post and use the [img ] [ /img] image tags (pop the location of your image within

It doesn't do the attachments and you would have to manually upload the image to your attachment folder (or wherever you want it)

Irwin's Superman Adventures Message Boards - Everything you ever wanted to know about the Hawaiian Superman!
IP Logged

ExhaultedRuler

Up, Up, and Away!!

Reply #57 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Hi Curtiss..

I like this mod...However, would you be able to put in an option to modify the "target"...

For example on my site;

http://www.superman808.com

I have the newsindex.shtm file embeded in a frame. What I would like to do, is click on the hyperlink, then have it target the "mainframe", thus loading over the entire page, versus the iframe that it is sitting in.

If not a variable to the mod, then perhaps I can change the .pl.  Should that be the case, where would I have to go and modify?

Thanks in advance!

Aloha from Hawaii
ER

Irwin's Superman Adventures Message Boards - Everything you ever wanted to know about the Hawaiian Superman!
IP Logged

ExhaultedRuler

Up, Up, and Away!!

Reply #58 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Hey Curtis...

I figured it out.. in newsindex.pl

Locating the following, I added "target=mainFrame", and it works!!:

[code]
if($topiclink == 1)
{$yynewsSub = qq~<a href='$scripturl?num=$mnum' target='mainFrame'>$msub</a>~;
}

else {
$yynewsSub = $msub;
}
[/code]

In your next version can you add a variable for the target please?

Thanks,

ER

IP Logged

Chriskokoko

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #59 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Hi,

Seems whenever I link from another domain or external webpage that the Topics don't show up? I've created a forwarding HTML file on the server and linked to that, which then forwards to my homepage. This seems to work, but why do the topics never show up if you link from another server/domain?

Lots of other pages link to my homepage, but the topics won't show if you come from the external website to my website. However, as soon as you load the page again by clicking Home (index.php) it will load the includes file with the message topics etc.

Thoughts on why this is happening?
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2007 at 2:18am by Chriskokoko »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint