Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Add more members groups (Read 6817 times)
Gary Bolton

Be afraid, be very afraid.
The Khaak are coming!

Add more members groups
Sep 7th, 2003 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I have downloaded and installed the latest version of "Add More Members Groups".

But I have noticed if you go into a members profile as admin, and try to give that member another status in the drop down menu. You have the option missing now to make him a standard Moderator. The option is there to make him either  Global Moderator or Admin, and any of the other Members Groups you created.

Also if you create a new Category and try to make it so only a Moderator or a Global Moderator has access to the boards in it. Again there is no option there to choose "Moderator". Like before the Admin,Global Moderator and Members Groups created can be choosen as access given. But the standard Moderator choice seems to be missing when you create a new Category.

So why then in the Members Groups does it show Admin, Global Moderator and Moderator" with different stars against there names. When it seems the Global Moderator has taken the place of the Moderator now after the Mod is installed. Should the Moderator option not have been removed from the Control Panel in the admin settings. So it only showed Admin and Global Moderator there in the Members Groups. Because its all a bit confusing when you see 3 listed there. When in relality you can onbly choose either Admin or Global Moderator now.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2003 at 3:57pm by Gary Bolton »  

IP Logged

catqueen

Re: Add more members groups
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Gary
Moderator is not a member group. You assign Moderators to Boards in the Edit Boards section not in the member's profile. So someone could be a moderator (with appropriate stars) on Board X, but just a regular member on Board Y. Making them a moderator only gives them moderator control of the board they are assigned to. The Global Moderator group gives them moderator control over all the boards, but doesn't list them as a moderator of a particular board.

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Standard Moderators are only listed in the Add More Membergroups admin area so you can have control over how they are displayed within the threads (number/type of stars etc.).

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

Gary Bolton

The Khaak are coming!

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
But after you install the MOD. When you go into the ADD MEMBERS GROUPS in the Admin Control Panel. There is a row of names that cannot be deleted. They are "Admin, Global Mod, Mod, Newbie".

This indicates they are NOT part of the Members Groups because they cannot be deleted. If you know what I mean.

So to be honest because of that, I still do not understand in the Category, and Members profiles why the choice is NOT also there to choose Moderator, as well as Admin, Global Mod and Newbie.

It just seems a bit strange to me. It would have made more sense if all three could be choosen. Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Because basicly you can choose any item in your members groups to make a person except for Moderator. Why leave just the one out. They all should be available to choose from. Not them all bar one (Moderator).

After all the Global Mod has more power than a Mod. So it seems a bit silly to be able to make a person a Global Mod from the drop down menu in his profile, and not a standard Mod with less power.

I understand what you saying, maybe a Mod is needed were the Moderator option is listed in the Category and Profiles option on members.

IP Logged

catqueen

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Because a Moderator is only a moderator on specific boards. For moderators to be a choice in the user profile the choices would have be:
Moderator--BoardA
Moderator--BoardB
Moderator--BoardC
etc.

IP Logged

Gary Bolton

The Khaak are coming!

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Well maybe that how it should be then, You can make a member a Moderator with a second option to choose what over. Because I still think he should be listed, Like I said above maybe a Mod is the answer.

But even though that may explain why it isn't listed in the Members profile, what about the Category option. There is no reason at all why the Moderator option should not be listed there. If I'm right that option was there before I installed the Mod, and now it's gone! Because I had a Prvate board before I installed the Mod, that could only be accessed by Mods. To talk about banning etc!

Now you may say that choosing the Global Mod will give only access to Mods and Global Mods. But the option should be there to choose both. So boards assigned Global Mod status would not allow standard Mods access.

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Lets look at those four groups that cannot be deleted:

Moderator: this isn't a membergroup, because as said above, this is assigned per board. Just because a person is a moderator of one board, doesn't mean they get moderator access everywhere.

Newbie: this isn't really a membergroup either, because it's the default group displayed if the user doesn't belong to any of the other groups listed.

Administrator and Global Moderator: even though these look like membergroups, and are assigned in the same way, these are not actually membergroups either - they are control groups! These are groups of users who have access to certain administrator functions throughout the board, extending far beyond the normal scope of the ordinary membergroups.

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
There is nothing stoping you from creating a normal membergroup called "moderator" and assigning this group to users in the normal way - although this will not automatically give the users moderator rights! Those would still have to be assigned on a "per board" basis.

(I suspect this may be what you did previously, and when you upgraded to Add-More-Membergroups, you didn't define any extra membergroups that you had added previously - they are not added automatically!)

IP Logged

Gary Bolton

The Khaak are coming!

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
I fully understand what your trying to say, and point out about the members groups, and the Moderator thing.

But while there may be a good case as to why the Moderator option should not be in a members profile. Because you would also have to assign to which board he covers. (Mod could sort that out)

I do not agree on only allowing certain members groups access the Categorys created. This is why!

In terms of power, you have!

1. Admin
2. Global Mod
3. Moderator

So you should be able to create Categorys that only give Admin and Global Mods access. And Categorys that give Admin, Global Mod, Moderators access.

But for this to be the case, there would have to be the option to make a category Moderator accesss only. Not as it stands now were if you choose Global Mod, it allows both Moderators access and Glbal Mods.

Because a Global Mod is a step up from a Moderator. So why when  a category is made Glbal Mod access only, should a normal Mod be granted access. Sorry but thats wrong!

Phew!  Grin

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
(Giving a catagory Global Moderator Access does NOT give access to Moderators!)

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
If you really want to restict access to moderators, I'd suggest installing the MBCO2 mod - this has the ability to use "moderator" as a control group for who can access a board, as short-hand for Administrators, Global Moderators and Moderators (of that board!)

IP Logged

Gary Bolton

The Khaak are coming!

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Ok I sort of guessed that one without checking, because I thought seeing as you cannot choose moderator access for a category now. That must have covered both Mod and Global Mod access.

So please tell me then if I have overlooked something. If your saying making a board Global Mod access only allows admin and Global mods access. How do a create a private category for Mods seeing as that option is now gone from my category list after I installed the mod  ???

What I mean is if a category is Mod access only. Bith Global Mods and Admin also have access because they are more powerfull with more rights. I don't mean a Moderator only accessed board that Global Mods can't access.

But it seems that option has now been removed after I installed the mod

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
As I said above, I suspect you previously created an additional membergroup called "Moderator" and assigned it to each of your board moderators.

You can then restrict a catagory access to allow only the membergroup "Moderator" access.

The other answer would be to use MBCO2 to restrict access to a specific board to the "moderator" control group.

IP Logged

Gary Bolton

The Khaak are coming!

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
This is what Im trying to say.

Before I installed the Mod. Categorys could be made Moderator or Admin access.

After the mod was installed the Moderator access is now gone, and we have Admin and Global Mod access.

So while its correct to be able to make a category Global Mod access only, were only admin and global mods can post.

You then have the problem if you want to create a category that Moderator access only, so Mods, GMods, Admin can all post in. You can't do that now. Because after the mod was installed, the option to make a category Mod accessed is gone. He is'nt even listed to choose him like before!

I knwyour saying install the other mod to get around that problem. But that really should NOT be the answer to that problem. The previous MOD should have left the Modertor option in the Category list as well as Global Mod and Admin

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
As a side note, Administrators and (depending on which mod version you are using) Global Moderators automatically have access to all categories regardless of their individual access settings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint