Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) News Script v2.0 for SP1.3 (Read 49919 times)
Romplayer

Do you know the Muffin
Man?

Re: News Script v2.0 for SP1.3
Reply #285 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Um...
could you please stop making double posts?
You can easily edit your post by clicking at the "Modify" link in the top right corner of your posts.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Kong
God Member

Is it just me or is my
back hairy???

Reply #286 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I'm gonna have to back up Romplayer on this one.

When you make 4 post back to back within 3 mins i can be a bit much. Smiley

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #287 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
DelaMn wrote on Nov 15th, 2004 at 7:23pm:
Another thing:

Anyway to obtain shorter titles? (in the recent list in a whoson way)

For instance:

Not "News Script v2.0 for SP1.3" but "Re: News Script v2.0 for..."

(set number of characters... whatever)

Roll Eyes

Currently the mod only offers to cut the message content ($news_max_number_of_words in News.pl) and not the titles. That's something for a new version eh? Wink

The Administrator.
IP Logged

DelaMn

I love boardmod.org

Reply #288 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I think so!

THANK YOU MICHAEL!  Grin

(sometimes ... someone reads what you have post; then you can "edit" it but the person you want to see it just thinks have read it... anyway, IŽll do my best to integrate everything  Roll Eyes )

IP Logged

Romplayer

Do you know the Muffin
Man?

Reply #289 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Of course, this is right.
But you don't need to make a new post after a few minutes or even an hour.
Then you can edit the old one, because the other didn't read it for sure.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

JackNic

Reply #290 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Michael,

great mod, i'm using a self-modded 1.x version for example to post news in a blog style.

V.2.0 features looking great.

To reduce server-load i'm caching the output of your news-script with a simple php-script, that stores the output and - once called - compares the file-date of this written output with the actual time. (I don't think that news have to be actual each and every minute ...)

Of course i have some wishes  Wink

1. outsourcing of settings - i'm using this in my modded news.mod with a new parameter -settings, because i want to be able to execute your news.pl in several ways with different parameters (blog-style, generating newsletter-links to threads and so on).

Code
Select All
if ($INFO{'settings'} ne "" && -e $INFO{'settings'}) {
			require $INFO{'settings'};
        } else {
			# default settings ...
			$display = 10;          # number of news to display
			$sort_news_by_last_comment = 0; # 0/1 - if set to 1, news will be sorted by last comment, not by creation time
			$max_number_of_words = 500; # set to 0 to disable cut-off of long messages
			$only_first_paragraph = 0;  # 0/1 - if set to 1, only the first paragraph will be displayed. Set to 0 to disable (note: this will disable $max_number_of_words)
			$link_target = "_top";  # if set to "_blank", all links will open in a new window. Leave empty to let links open in the current window
			$show_older_news_link = 0;  # 0/1 - set to 1 to display a link to the news board at the bottom, 0 to disable
			$older_news_link = qq~<center><a href="$scripturl?board=$currentboard" target="$link_target"><b>Older News</b></a></center>~;
        }

Maybe you could alter the static cache-filename to the optional settings-filename in your V.2.xx-mod, if this multiple-usage-feature interferes the principle of your cache-system (dunno).

2. option to write news-mod output to file (so one can manage the caching self or manipulate the output in other ways)

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #291 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
JackNic wrote on Nov 25th, 2004 at 6:44pm:
To reduce server-load i'm caching the output of your news-script with a simple php-script, that stores the output and - once called - compares the file-date of this written output with the actual time. (I don't think that news have to be actual each and every minute ...)
That's exactly what I'm doing here on boardmod.org too Wink

Quote:
1. outsourcing of settings - i'm using this in my modded news.mod with a new parameter -settings, because i want to be able to execute your news.pl in several ways with different parameters (blog-style, generating newsletter-links to threads and so on).

Code
Select All
if ($INFO{'settings'} ne "" && -e $INFO{'settings'}) {
			require $INFO{'settings'};
	  } else {
			# default settings ...
			$display = 10;	    # number of news to display
			$sort_news_by_last_comment = 0; # 0/1 - if set to 1, news will be sorted by last comment, not by creation time
			$max_number_of_words = 500; # set to 0 to disable cut-off of long messages
			$only_first_paragraph = 0;  # 0/1 - if set to 1, only the first paragraph will be displayed. Set to 0 to disable (note: this will disable $max_number_of_words)
			$link_target = "_top";  # if set to "_blank", all links will open in a new window. Leave empty to let links open in the current window
			$show_older_news_link = 0;  # 0/1 - set to 1 to display a link to the news board at the bottom, 0 to disable
			$older_news_link = qq~<center><a href="$scripturl?board=$currentboard" target="$link_target"><b>Older News</b></a></center>~;
	  }

Maybe you could alter the static cache-filename to the optional settings-filename in your V.2.xx-mod, if this multiple-usage-feature interferes the principle of your cache-system (dunno).
I agree with you that there should be an easier way to manipulate the settings hardcoded in News.pl. I'll add this to my todo list Wink Oh and there is no need to change the cache filename, it can be used for a lot of different things at once.

Quote:
2. option to write news-mod output to file (so one can manage the caching self or manipulate the output in other ways)
I'm not sure why you'd need a file output. You would have to call the yabb script anyway to update the news from time to time. And customization should be done in the template file.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #292 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Great mod and everything works as planned but is there a way to get the news text to scroll when the page is being resized instead of being cutoff. I only want the iframe to take at most 15% of the side of the page. and how do I remove/replace the poster's avatar that is to the right so that it is placed at the bottom of the news post or to the left of the subject

IP Logged

Romplayer

Do you know the Muffin
Man?

Reply #293 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Well, that's easy. Open the html file in which the iframe is included. In the iframe tag change the width from "number of pixels" to "percentage".
Example:
width=250 => width=15%

I have deleted the avatar fully because I'm the only one making news.
Open news_template.html in folder cgi-bin and just move the avatar tag to the place you want.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #294 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 2:38am
Print Post  
If I reduce the width to anything less than 35% the avatar gets cut off and further reductions in size start to cut the text off. the text doesn't want to scroll.

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #295 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 11:51am
Print Post  
If you want that your news have a specific width then you need to modify the news template. For example add a table with a specific width around it.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #296 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
thanks Michael , I have here a test web page up to show that it still doesn't work even with a table. Sorry for being so retarded on this seemingly simple problem.

http://nbvrl.servebeer.com/~nascar/test2.htm

maybe I wasn't clear, I want to text in the news feed to auto-wrap.

IP Logged

Romplayer

Do you know the Muffin
Man?

Reply #297 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
The problem is that the news-template itself has a table in it. And the width of this one has to be changed, too!

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #298 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
ok that makes sense. Ithis should work now, I'll try that, thanks for the ultra quick response

IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #299 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
well I tried changing the template so that the table autostretches and if I type plain text it will autowrap but the text from the <yabb message> tag doesn't auto wrap. I am at a loss for this but still troubleshooting. thanks everyone for your help thus far.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 
Send TopicPrint