Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) File Attachment Mod (Read 15597 times)
Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Re: File Attachment Mod
Reply #15 - May 1st, 2002 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Just thought I would post this, cause I just got this little part done, and it was alot easier than I would have even expected:

Now when you install File Attachment mod and first visit your Admin Center, YaBB will attempt to find a directory named "attachments" in your webspace and will automatically fill out the upload directory field. If you have a folder you want to use that is NOT named "attachments", you can change this in the AdminEdit.pl file (line to enter the name of the directory you want is commented so you can find it easily). If you just opt not to create a directory before installing the mod, YaBB will create a folder name "yabbattach" in your main directory the first time you load up the Forum Preferences and Settings section after installing the mod. If your directory is already filled out (such as from a previous install and you didnt wipe out your Settings.pl file), or if you change it from what it attempts to automatically configure, your changes will override YaBB trying to figure it out for you. To get it to try and find the directory automatically again, just leave the directory field blank, click save, and then go back to your admin center, and it will attempt to find the directory again (or create the yabbattach directory if it doesnt exist already).

Just an update on what I'm doing, if you're interested. Hopefully this will cut down on my support woes.

- Dave

I'm not sure if it's ignorance or apathy, but I don't know and I don't care.
IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #16 - May 1st, 2002 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Now also attempts to figure out URL to your attachments folder automatically, too. Grin

IP Logged

Ukjock

Reply #17 - May 5th, 2002 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I am hoving problems, using a windows 2000 server. I am able to upload files if they are less than 150kb, but when it gets over that it shows a page saying "The page cannot be displayed" I am i missing a setting that is making it time out???

Thanks for a great mod!

Chris

IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #18 - May 5th, 2002 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
The timeout length is a server setting. Usually a problem more on Win servers than Unix. Do two things:

Try just posting (not attaching) 150 kb worth of just text. See if that times out.

Contact your webhost and find out what the script timeout rate is and if they can raise it at all. Also, there may be a max limit on the amount of information that can be sent at once in an uploading process, but I very honestly doubt it would be less than a few megs.

IP Logged

mozilla168

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Jun 4th, 2002 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Help! I can't seem to get it to work.. Everytime I try to attach a file and preview a message, I get an 'Internal Server Error"

I suspect its the directory & url for my attachments folder..how do I specify it under the admin settings if my  folder tree is:

cgi-bin/yabb/attachments

ls. help. thanks

IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #20 - Jun 4th, 2002 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
First, you need to get your attachments directory out of your CGI-bin. the CGI-bin is ONLY for executing files. You cannot stick files you want people to just be able to view in there.

Secondly, it's different for everyone. You need to figure out your absolute path to your main directory and work from there. You can try using the Path Finder mod to help you with that after you make an attachments directory OUTSIDE of the CGI-bin. Your absolute path to your webspace is also usually listed on your webserver's FAQ's somewhere.

- Dave

IP Logged

Sean Dotson

Reply #21 - Jun 4th, 2002 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Is this newest version of file_attach the one that is downloadable on the mods page?  I've got everything working execpt that when the p[ost appears the attachment is listed as (attachment deleted)

Would the new version fix this problem?

IP Logged

Sean Dotson

Reply #22 - Jun 4th, 2002 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the double post.  Hicckup on my end..

IP Logged

C

moochin freeloader

Reply #23 - Jun 4th, 2002 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
hmmm ae youre permissons set ok??

IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #24 - Jun 5th, 2002 at 4:02am
Print Post  
Sean - Yes, version 2.3 in the downloads area is the newest version released to date.

IP Logged

caliman
God Member

Swanky

Reply #25 - Aug 29th, 2002 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Hello all -

Been a while.

Lot of people on my board want to upload photos so I came over here and found the attach mod 2.3. Pulled a late night doing all the changes, but it bombs out still.

Odd because the rest of the boards functions work. But when I try to preview a post with a file attachment, I get the lame 'malformed header' 500 error. (I hate that error, reminds me of these conjoined twins I saw on TV the other night.) Grin

ANYWAY,

I did the 'perl -wc file.ext' thing and everything seemed to check out except Post.pl. It didn't like the @ext on line 116 in the Postpage function. It wanted me to escape it out, but when I do that @ext shows up in 'Allowed file types:' under the attachment form box and it still didn't fix the problem.

I am pretty sure I have the absolute path for my uploads folder right and the permissions on it at 666.

Sorry for the long post, is this enough to narrow down the problem?

Thanks in advance,

caliman

IP Logged

caliman
God Member

Swanky

Reply #26 - Aug 30th, 2002 at 1:52am
Print Post  
OK!

I had the same prob as most people. lol.

My excuse: my provider won't let me use a shell, I have to use ftp for everything and I wasn't seeing the absolute path. Whatever. I am psyched it works.

Grin

IP Logged

SYStech

scince its (me) made 800
posts! *(^$6347bgdgg

Reply #27 - Oct 4th, 2002 at 12:02am
Print Post  
  It wont, work.. i dont know why.. it sais something that the cgi yabb.pl doesnt exist.. i dont know why... i need help to set it up... I uploaded attachments.pl and at the other stuff, like th chnges made to yabb.pl, english.lng etc... it still wont work... HELP!

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Halikar

Magic is real, unless
declared integer

Reply #28 - May 3rd, 2003 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
This may be a stupid question (knowing me it probably is), but I've seen file upload scripts that seem to be able to overcome the servers time out setting and continue operating.  I know some of them work by using a separate server to operate the script from the one receiving the file, but others don't seem to do that.  Am I completely confused as to what I think I'm seeing, or is this something that could be incorporated into FA?

IP Logged

Mihail77

Problem with File attachments
Reply #29 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
File Attachment Stats Total   

Total Attachments: 6   
Total Size of Attachment Directory: 129 KB   
Total Space Available in Attachments Directory: 871 KB   

But...  in Attachment directory (666) all files with zero length size (0 Kb) . 

Heeelp!      Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint