Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shoutbox 1.0b4 for SP1.3.1 (Read 64251 times)
DocRST
God Member

Dont get use to it!

Re: Shoutbox 1.0b1 for SP1.3.1
Reply #15 - Oct 23rd, 2003 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
So, Will this one work on a Win server?

Doc Cowles
Web Master
YourWebSpace.com  -  Free YaBB hosting
docrst@yahoo.com
IP Logged

wiebke

Reply #16 - Oct 23rd, 2003 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
What do you think - should I scrap the auto-refresh setting and make it so you just have to edit the template to change it?

yes Cheesy because it would make administartion so much easier! the way it works now is very confusing IMHO

IP Logged

Ronnie

And on that bombshell

Reply #17 - Oct 23rd, 2003 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
DocRST wrote on Oct 23rd, 2003 at 12:26pm:
So, Will this one work on a Win server?

This version of the mod is completely integrated with YaBB so like the rest of YaBB, it works fine on both OS'. In fact, it was written and tested on a Win32 server so if any of these kind of problems are going to appear they should be for *nix!

Quote:
yes Smiley because it would make administartion so much easier! the way it works now is very confusing IMHO

Yes, I agree, it is confusing... I'll remove this option in the next version. Thanks for pointing this out.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

DocRST
God Member

Dont get use to it!

Reply #18 - Oct 23rd, 2003 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
* DocRST bows to Ronnie....

Doc Cowles
Web Master
docrst@yahoo.com
IP Logged

scaredwitless
God Member

I got nothing

Reply #19 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Hey Ronnie just wanted to share an interesting headache I got related to your mod.

I noticed on my board after installing this mod, that even though I had different colors set for the .message1 and .message2 fields, only the color for .message2 was ever used.

So I noticed that on BillBSET2's board above he has the same thing, no alternating colors.

So I took a look inside the ShoutBox.pl, find the part where it decides on what background color to use depending on the count number.  Decided that I couldn't see anything at all wrong with your code.  the modulus function should work, the increment should work, and obviously the loop works fine.  Anyway so I added a bit to the print line so it'd display the value of $count at the end of the shout messages.  What I found out is that the value of $count remains at 0 the entire time.  It never increments.  So I was at a loss for this, tried about a billion combinations.  Found it interesting that if you progress the $count++; before the print line in the loop, instead of all 0s you get all 1s.

Anyway to end this bizarroness, out of desperation I tried creating a $count2 variable in all the same places that the original $count was at, replaced it in the modulus equation ($count2 % 2).  And it works.  $count2 increments, the alternative colors are used, and all the while I have $count running side by side in the same locations, and nothing.

I have no idea why that works, but it does.  For whatever clarity it may add, I'm using a Unix server.

IP Logged

DocRST
God Member

Dont get use to it!

Reply #20 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 11:18am
Print Post  
scaredwitless,
Good catch..

Doc Cowles
Web Master
docrst@yahoo.com
IP Logged

Ronnie

And on that bombshell

Reply #21 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 11:44am
Print Post  
@scaredwitless - thanks for highlighting this (no pun intended). I've never noticed this while testing, but off the top of my head I'd guess there might be another $count variable in use somewhere else at the same time (probably from another mod on the Boardindex that I wasn't using during testing), and there's some kind of conflict going on.

I'll add this to the to-do list.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

scaredwitless
God Member

I got nothing

Reply #22 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
It was rather late when I was looking at all that stuff.  It did cross my mind that $count might already be defined somewhere else, but it hadn't crossed my mind that it might be in use in another mod somewhere.  That would completely make sense.

IP Logged

Ronnie

And on that bombshell

Reply #23 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Quick question for anyone interested in the mod - how important is the "add to top/add to bottom" option to you?

I originally planned to include it, and quite a bit of the code is already written, but I just came up against a brick wall and had a lot of really awkward problems so gave up. I don't really have the motivation to try again... but if it's important to people then I'll have a go.

Changes made so far:

- Removed the auto-refresh setting from the Shoutbox Options page to clear up the confusion. To set the auto-refresh, you now just edit it in the template.
- Fixed a variable conflict that caused the alternating shout background colours to fail for some people.
- Linking of usernames removed to simplify things.
- Highlighting member's own posts now works. Please note: only members who are LOGGED IN and who made the shout using their DISPLAY NAME will see shouts as highlighted. Note that Guest shouts and shouts a member made using a different name cannot be highlighted.
- If "name changing" is disabled, a line is shown to Guests saying "Your name: [their name]" in place of the text box.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2003 at 11:10pm by Ronnie »  
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #24 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Ronnie,

Considering how much stuff I have scattered about my board, I think the option of adding to top or bottom might actually be quite important to me.

Sheesh ... so many mods, so little screen space! <ggg>

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

Ronnie

And on that bombshell

Reply #25 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 11:55am
Print Post  
By "adding to top or bottom" I mean the option of whether to add new shouts to the top or bottom of the shoutbox list. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

joelmachado

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #26 - Nov 3rd, 2003 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Shocked  My board index is a mess can someone help me out with boardindex.pl and this mod i like to make it look just like this  

BillBset2

Quote:
just thought I would mention..
When I first loaded the Shoutbox...
the HighLight was working... then it stopped...??
I messed with the BoardIndex.pl quite a bit to
get the proper fit...
http://www.blazing-saddles.biz/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
Seems to work real good otherwise...

Thanks

but i ha ve a few too many mods, and now i mest it all up,   Embarrassed  any help is apreciated
here is my board,  www.gravitazion.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

attacht is my boardindex.pl

any help is truly apreciated,,  

my main problem is with all the nested tables and some of the coding that i don't get!

BoardIndexproblem.zip ( 8 KB | Downloads )
IP Logged

Ronnie

And on that bombshell

Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2003 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
That's got to be the most confusing board I've ever seen! I afraid I have absolutely no idea how you would go about sorting that out, other than one little trick - right click and view the source of your boardindex, and try to sort the HTML out that way - then you can go into Boardindex.pl and adjust the HTML output with the help of the generated page you have.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

BillBSET
God Member

Ignorance can be fixed,
Stupid is Forever

Reply #28 - Nov 3rd, 2003 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That's got to be the most confusing board I've ever seen! I afraid I have absolutely no idea how you would go about sorting that out, other than one little trick - right click and view the source of your boardindex, and try to sort the HTML out that way - then you can go into Boardindex.pl and adjust the HTML output with the help of the generated page you have.

I don't know very much about this and it is my first
attempt at this type of project...
but,,, i was wondering ,,, Confusing I don't get it?? I hope to figure out how to make this stuff work...  Confusing ?? help!

After you eliminate all of the possibilities,
whatever is left, no matter how seemingly impossible,
must be the truth.

IP Logged

Ronnie

And on that bombshell

Reply #29 - Nov 3rd, 2003 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I was referring to joelmachado's board. Kiss

WWWICQ  
IP Logged