Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) #BoardMod IRC (Read 11172 times)
Capt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: #BoardMod IRC
Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2002 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Christer,

We have set this network up for the YaBB Board mod.  Most of these people do NOT use mIRC.  They are very basic users who use Web Based chat services.  They will not be able to access cyberamy network via the board mod but will be able to access any help channels on this network.

As far as being comfortable, that is cool.  Stay there if you wish to, but, the Bulk of the Chatters and people needing assistance will be with us.  You can be just as comfortable where we are.  Plus, those who are there, helping others, will be given an opportunity to grow with the network.  We are starting with a very small staff and will be expanding the network staff as needed. 

This network has been in the works for some time now with the idea to set up a secure and fun place for YaBB board chatters to meet and chat.  We are not going to advertise this network as a IRC network because of the fact that most chatters dont use mIRC.  IRC connections are also allowed but not advertised.

Capt

IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2002 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Capt, I agree with you on all of that. Even so, I have no problem connecting to another server(as I mentioned), but it might cause some confusion if we changed this.

Code
Select All
unless(0) { stab("LoonyPandora"); next; } 

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2002 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
Capt, I agree with you on all of that. Even so, I have no problem connecting to another server(as I mentioned), but it might cause some confusion if we changed this.

I don't think so. People who would be confused of a server changing would also use a web client and therefore wouldn't even see a change.

I hower understand Teme's point. People who are into IRC won't bother on which server they are on. People who don't know anything about IRC however will use a client directly supplied by the web page. And in this case, you can't connect to two servers at once. Now when boardmod, yabb and all the other channels would be on the same server, they could connect to all of them without the installation of an extra client. That sounds good to me though... Smiley

Now what's the point of using cyberarmy?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2002 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Small update for the applet: it will now detect your yabb cookie and will set your nickname automatically.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2002 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't think so. People who would be confused of a server changing would also use a web client and therefore wouldn't even see a change.

I hower understand Teme's point. People who are into IRC won't bother on which server they are on. People who don't know anything about IRC however will use a client directly supplied by the web page. And in this case, you can't connect to two servers at once. Now when boardmod, yabb and all the other channels would be on the same server, they could connect to all of them without the installation of an extra client. That sounds good to me though... Smiley

There is none, I think. And after I had a good long talk with the server admins of HobbyGab.net, I'm warmly recommending that we move to them. All we lack is your final order, sir. Smiley

Code
Select All

IP Logged

Teme

Cogito, ergo sum!

Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2002 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The only point would be that you've many many great channels there that have been using cyberarmy for ages. Another point would be if you'd knew the people running that irc network so yabb could have some kind of connection on the network staff.
If not - I think it's a lot better choice to have completely "own" network where you can have at least some kind of affect. I'm sure there will be a lot more servers in the future also when more and more people get intrested in this. Smiley

One more thing. I've registered some months ago channels #YaBB and #Boardmod for testing purposes but naturally you'll ask network admins sce or captain (as soon as you decide to move the official channels there) to reset the registrations so you can configure them and set the passwords the way you like.

Very nice to see that things are moving forward.

My great wish list:
Quote inside Quote! (and I'll be satisfied)
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #21 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Capt wrote on Aug 31st, 2002 at 7:27pm:
As far as being comfortable, that is cool.  Stay there if you wish to, but, the Bulk of the Chatters and people needing assistance will be with us.

No, just the people who use the default settings of chat mod. Most users don't even use chat mod. In fact, I only see three channels advertised that might be from users of chat mod.

Quote:
IRC connections are also allowed but not advertised.

What?

In any case, I'll support the move to hobbygab now. My thought before was "why move if we're already setup?" but your point that chat mod users will already be using Hobbygab is a good one. Not a problem to me either way, I just started the YaBB channels on Cyberarmy because it's a smaller network (like yours) and the IRCops have been very helpful to me (as I'm sure your IRCops are). My only concern is that IRC servers are resource-intensive, so I wonder how long such great charity can last?

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
IP Logged

Capt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
No, just the people who use the default settings of chat mod. Most users don't even use chat mod. In fact, I only see three channels advertised that might be from users of chat mod.

We have been Beta Testing.  Beta testing will be over very very soon.

What?

In any case, I'll support the move to hobbygab now. My thought before was "why move if we're already setup?" but your point that chat mod users will already be using Hobbygab is a good one. Not a problem to me either way, I just started the YaBB channels on Cyberarmy because it's a smaller network (like yours) and the IRCops have been very helpful to me (as I'm sure your IRCops are). My only concern is that IRC servers are resource-intensive, so I wonder how long such great charity can last?

Thanks for your vote of support.  It is greatly appreciated.  This is not an IRC Network.  This is a Network Dedicated to YaBB board users.  IRC connections are allowed now and will continue to be unless it becomes a major problem for regular YaBB forum chatters ( I am sure you can understand this).  We are here for the Users. 

As far as resource-intensive, we will entertain additional links as it becomes necessary.  I think the Idea of you setting up Help channels on IRC is great.  We are going to offer the same help channels that you are. We are simply inviting you to use our services. 

Right now we have 2 Network Admins, sce and myself and, are going to expand our staff of IRCops and Services Admins as necessary.

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #23 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Capt wrote on Sep 2nd, 2002 at 10:17pm:
We have been Beta Testing.  Beta testing will be over very very soon.

Ah, I thought it was out already.

Quote:
IRC connections are allowed now and will continue to be unless it becomes a major problem for regular YaBB forum chatters ( I am sure you can understand this).

I still don't understand what you mean by "IRC connections," can you explain some more?

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
IP Logged

Capt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Sure.  What I mean is connections other than thru Forums.  Since the vast majority of the users will connect via the applet on their respective forum and not from a mIRC client, that will be the fom of connection that will be preferred.  We dont want the hardcore mIRC users taking advantage of these unknowing users.  So, as long as there is not a problem, we have no problem.  Hope that clears that up.  We do not anticipate any issues since we are not even advertising the network.

Capt

IP Logged

sce

just me

Reply #25 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 2:55am
Print Post  
First I'd like to say what a wonderful service the Live support channels are and give kudos to the people of Boardmod and YaBB for taking the time to staff these channels and support us users. What a great tool.

Because there is talk of possibly moving these channels to our network, and it appears in this thread there may be a little confusion over certain issues please allow me to explain a few things.

We are long time IRC users but also YaBB forum owners. We wanted to combine the two for our own purposes but wanted to stay away from the bigger established IRC nets because of , well all the "Crap" that's normally assosciated with them. We set up our own IRC server and had a little mod made by Shoeb Omar to use on our forums.

Our thinking then became, wouldn't it be a nice idea to have an IRC net exclusively for YaBB forum owners to enjoy the same experience. So we set up our server network to do just that.

About 8 weeks ago we started releasing the mod to select forum owners for testing. There are currently 14 channels coming from YaBB forums using the service, with little or no problems reported.

As far as resources, when the mod is released publicly (In about a week) we will have 3 servers on board ..enough for 3,000 simultaneous users. It is our intention to keep this a "private" network with almost all connections being made via the applet in the YaBB mod. This should help limit abuse of resources, which is the main problem most IRC nets encounter. Of course we will allow connections via "normal" IRC clients, hopefully mostly by channel owners, admins and staff but we will not publicize this as another IRC network open to the general public. Additional links will be added as use dictates.

As far as the help channels go, it seems a natural to have the channels reside on the same network as the mod, people will be able to pop in your channels without leaving their forums and of course still be able to reach you from here and the YaBB boards. It will all be seamless to the applet users, who for the most part wont even know a change has been made.

If you decide to use our service, we welcome you and will support you any way we can. If you decide to stay where you are, that's cool too ...Live support is great, regardless of where it's hosted !

Apologies for being long winded....hope this clears up any confusion.

Alan Stehman
(sce)
Network Admin
HobbyGab.net

IP Logged

Tea-Master
Forum Administrator

Reply #26 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
ok - i followed this discussion and i like the idea of an irc only for YaBB users and especially one own network for all support and other YaBB channels

it's established by some ( 2?) private persons - that's because i have some important questions:
what happens if u decide ( cause they are your own servers) to sell or take them offline?
this could be cause your pc crashed, you have probs with your girlfriend or with your parents, u have to move - what ever.
an other question: how are the servers connected to the internet and how do u finance this? ( i mean who pays for it and will it go on)
how old are u? will u decide soon to move away, shutdown your servers?
what is if u don't like YaBB or some users/admins of YaBB anymore?

lil' things which aren't so unimportant i think Tongue

however keep on the good work Smiley

IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Reply #27 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
well, AFAIK, there is not ONE server, there's three. Two in the US and one in the UK. Also, I know that they won't take them offline because they're dedicated to YaBB now and will be. So much I've spoken to them.

Also, they're both old enough to be married, so I don't think they'll move Wink

@t-master: They are usually online in the #hobbygab server on irc.hobbygab.net(the mod server) in our "waking hours", so you can stop by and have a chat Smiley

Code
Select All

IP Logged

Capt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
I am in my mid 40's and sce is older than dirt!  No one can see into the future but I can tell you that  we have no intention of just "quitting".  We are both comitted to this venture.  sce and I pay for this out of our own pockets.  We answer to no one (unless Wives count). I wont have any problems from my Parents...both are deceased.  Hope that answers your questions!   Shocked

Capt

IP Logged

Tea-Master
Forum Administrator

Reply #29 - Sep 4th, 2002 at 5:34am
Print Post  
alright - all ok Smiley

just wanted to get some information and especially if it's a fast idea of a lil' kid or not - thx for the answers and for your offer

Quote:
sce and I pay for this out of our own pockets

wowy  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint