Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Small File attachment bug (Read 2922 times)
AlexC
God Member

Small File attachment bug
Jul 3rd, 2002 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
It doesnt bother me but I have 2 small uploads on my forum, both of which are in posts that have been moved, im not sure wether it was moved before or after the attachment was made but in the admin center statistics and functions section both links to the posts of the attachments dont work and produce an error saying that this post isnt on this board

I just thought i would point it out as on support forums (such as one of the ones i run) moving does tend to happen alot and broken links to attachments could get annoying if your are trying to free up space but keep as much as possibl or whatever

like isaid im not too bothered but i jsut thought i would inform you of the bug so that you can make a small patch or fix it in a new version (if you make one) if you want to Smiley

-Alex
IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Re: Small File attachment bug
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
See the thread: [] Redirect Mod, replies 4-6 (and especially reply 10!)

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

AlexC
God Member

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
ok .. ive read it all through but im no good with code yet, can some1 make a small patch for the movethread.pl thingy for file attachments?

-Alex
IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
You could wait for Dave to include it in File Attachments v2.4 .....

IP Logged

AlexC
God Member

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
okie Smiley

-Alex
IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Yes, I'm aware of the move routine. Sadly, it's kind of a "bug in reverse." I coded the attachments mod a good while before I began coding YaBB SP1. When I rewrote the MoveThread.pl file for SP1, I didn't think to update the attachments when I converted it over. That itself will be fixed.

However, I'm not sure about the log being updated. The log isn't dynamic... it just gets written to when you post. If it where to search for all the attachments in your board, it could bring it to it's knees trying to make the log dynamically. I'll see what I can do about having the log updated when threads are moved, but if it ends up slowing down the board too much, I'll have to think of something else. Of course, if you didn't delete the remnants left behind when you move a thread, it wouldn't be a problem, really. Wink But I understand those can get annoying and people delete them.

Anywho, that's the down-low on that situation. Before I coded in my improved move threads routine into SP1, they were just two slightly incompatible mods. Now it's a bug. Go figure. Wink

I'm not sure if it's ignorance or apathy, but I don't know and I don't care.
IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I don't think there is any suggestion of making the log "dynamic" because of the problems you outline. However, the information in the attachments log can be updated (when a thread is moved, or posts are deleted) to keep the threadid and postid of each entry current.

As these updates would only be carried out once when a particular operation is performed, there should be no discernable difference in board speed.

IP Logged

AlexC
God Member

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
However, the information in the attachments log can be updated (when a thread is moved, or posts are deleted) to keep the threadid and postid of each entry current.

As these updates would only be carried out once when a particular operation is performed, there should be no discernable difference in board speed.

Cheesy - exactly what i would suggest, and i havnt even bothered readin that book yet Cheesy 8)

-Alex
IP Logged

WhiteSnakerr

I prefer Windows...

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Well I have a different problem with my attachment mod. When I allow people to upload ".JPEG" files and ."JPG"....when a ".JPEG" file is uploaded it doesn't show, altho the jpg files show.

any raeson why is does this???

70 mods installed on my SP1.3.1 on a Microsoft .NET - Microsoft-IIS/5.0 server.
IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't think there is any suggestion of making the log "dynamic" because of the problems you outline. However, the information in the attachments log can be updated (when a thread is moved, or posts are deleted) to keep the threadid and postid of each entry current.

You're right. I'm thinking into the future now, though (which was my mistake originally). With the new move threads routine coming out, it would be a bit more complicated.

As far as that JPEG thing goes, search for the word "jpg" in your Display.pl file, and make sure there is a "jpeg" in there in the same section of code, too (if there isn't for some reason, add it in like all the other ones that are in there already. You should see what to do when you open the file and find the JPG part (there should be a GIF and BMP in the same section, too, among others)).

IP Logged

AlexC
God Member

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
@dave        i was just wondering, what transfer mode does file attachments mod use? binary, ascii, auto?
if auto how does it know what to use for a format you have not included (such as one you've never heard of)

-Alex
IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Why did you post this in both this thread AND the troubleshooting forum? (especially when it's a general question, as it has nothing to do with any trouble or bugs). I answered your other post already.

IP Logged

AlexC
God Member

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
yea i know sorry i forgot about this thread Embarrassed

-Alex
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint