Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) YAMS !!!!!!! (Read 5491 times)
Carsten
Ex Member

...to much YaMS

Re: YAMS !!!!!!!
Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2002 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Sorry but i still think it's a bad idea to recommend deleting or renaming the "admin" account.
Offcourse hackers would go for the "admin.dat" - not because of the "admin" name - but because of the access he would gain from that.
I don't think any "sensible" (?!?) hacker would be cheated by renaming the admin account - he would find it whatever it's named.

If you knock your head against a brick wall and hear a hollow sound, it's not necessarily coming from the wall.

IP Logged

Carsten
Ex Member

...to much YaMS

Reply #16 - Jun 25th, 2002 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you do remove the "admin" account, I'd recommend searching for the following lines in the profile.pl file, and change "admin" to your new username (case sensitive) so that other administrators cannot delete you or remove your administrator status.

Code
Select All
      &fatal_error("$txt{'680'}") if ($member{'username'} eq "admin" && $member{'settings7'} ne "Administrator");

and

if($member{'username'} ne "admin") {

And in Admin.pl:
Code
Select All
                if ($curmem eq "admin") { 

And i'm not sure that's all.
I would not change/delete the admin.dat - lot's of trouble and when it come's to hackers: No real security.

If you knock your head against a brick wall and hear a hollow sound, it's not necessarily coming from the wall.

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #17 - Jun 25th, 2002 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Hopefully, users will have the "Advanced Memberview Plus" mod installed, making that last change unnecessary! Grin

[edit: Personally, I wouldn't delete the admin account either but if you do, make sure you take the precautions outlined above!]

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

Carsten
Ex Member

...to much YaMS

Reply #18 - Jun 25th, 2002 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hopefully, users will have the "Advanced Memberview Plus" mod installed, making that last change unnecessary! Grin

[edit: Personally, I wouldn't delete the admin account either but if you do, make sure you take the precautions outlined above!]

Confused? - you'll surely be after this: If you want to install the "Advanced Memberview Plus" (Heighly recommended) be sure you didn't change the Admin.pl as mentioned above - or you'll get a "string not found" in BoardMod.  Grin

IP Logged

AlexC
God Member

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2002 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
ok ...

1. my site is down because of what seems to me to be a mistake by netfirms

2.when it goes back up i will delete all members and posts and register as admin and then download the admin.dat file through ftp, add 'Administrator' to the admin.dat file, upload it again, and rename it to MORT (in profile)

3. what does this 'advanced memberview plus' mod do?

4. is it out yet?

Please answer with the number of what you are answering to Smiley

-Alex
IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2002 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
1...Bummer

2...if you think you have to, but note the code written above!

3...Cool stuff to help manage the membership of your site.

4...Version 2.11 is available now, Version 3 has just been released for Beta testing.

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

AlexC
God Member

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2002 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
1. lol Smiley

3a.will it work with YaMS?
3b.please give details of what it does (will it make it so i can have the untouchbable admin account as whatever i choose(completely named 'MORT') without editing anything? (if not i htink there should be a mod to do so Wink)?

-Alex
IP Logged

Carsten
Ex Member

...to much YaMS

Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2002 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
3a. Yep - it's fully compatible with YaMS  Cheesy
3b. Click on the "Version 3" link in BHRA's post

IP Logged

AlexC
God Member

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2002 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
*sigh* ive got to completely restart everything again cos netfirms shut ezf.netfirms.com down, so im getting another free onew off them behind their backs Cheesy - in begginin of suma holydayz there gone 4 eva from me Smiley

-Alex
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint