Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic YaBB taking over Facebook and Twitter (Read 4366 times)
Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

YaBB taking over Facebook and Twitter
Feb 28th, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
YaBB taking over Facebook and Twitter? Yes it can. Smiley

Bill Myers wrote on Feb 28th, 2013 at 8:43am:

I've posted this here because I was breaking away from the topic referenced above.

On the topic of YaBB enabling you to transform your board into a website, there was a time a few years ago when I seriously thought of archving one of our busiest websites in favor of having it continue solely through our forum. My thinking was to hand off the site's operations to a group of members who would then manage the site for me through the forum.

Relatively speaking, this would be easy to do compared to how a traditional site is/has been operated.

My thinking? Change our site into a Facebook-like or Twitter-like participation, but do it with YaBB. After all, YaBB's interface is a much more organized way to present a world-wide town hall environment.

If any of you remember Geocities, those online communities grew so rapidly that within a few short years they became the third-most visited site online. Our most popular site actually came about because a rather large group of communities within Geocities wanted autonomy, and I gave it to them.

If I had the use of YaBB back in 1997 when I first organized this autonomous group, I may very well have organized our site solely through YaBB's interface.

Could YaBB have handled all of the traffic? How many members could it have contained?

Those aren't the questions to ask.

Facebook's founder certainly didn't ask those questions. He just forged ahead. The founders of Twitter probably asked those questions, but by then there were ways to handle all of the traffic, and there were ways to manage their membership database.

The question to ask about YaBB is, "How well can it organize a community?"

Arguably, YaBB is much better at this than Facebook or Twitter.

Imagine if the deep pockets of either one of those companies provided financial backing to integrate YaBB into its software. The only condition? YaBB itself would have to remain an open source project.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

MasterKarman

YaBB 2.5.2

Re: YaBB taking over Facebook and Twitter
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
This is one of the main reasons I love using YaBB so much. With all of the extremely useful mods and mods geered towards enhancing YaBB to make it more interactive, you can use it as your main website.

I do that for my personal website. Mind you I have only a handful of members. As for the radio site I use the forum on, the members always talk about how much they like the interactivity, all of the features and how smoothly it all runs. I haven't even got around to setting up the 'ratings' section or a few of the other things I'd like to do.

I don't use Facebook all that much anymore just because I despise how bloated the whole thing has become. But I've always preferred smaller communities.

Now using YaBB 2.5.2 with 40+mods
"The world is a dangerous place to live. Not because of the evil in it, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
MasterKarman wrote on Feb 28th, 2013 at 12:18pm:
I don't use Facebook all that much anymore just because I despise how bloated the whole thing has become. But I've always preferred smaller communities.  

I feel the same way.

The interesting thing I see in YaBB is that it could certainly be the basis for one large worldwide community that could be made up of smaller communities feeding into it.

As such, the smaller communities could thrive, and have their own unique autonomy while still being part of YaBB's core of communities.

In other words, YaBB could be an online version of Earth.

Maybe every member could have a YaBB passport that could contain a member's unique identity so that they could visit, and access other YaBB communities without having to actually be a YaBB citizen of that visited community.

I can see it now; YaBB bringing the world together as peace and harmony abound.

:stop:

Okay, maybe that's pushing it a bit. After all, when has our planet really ever had true peace and harmony? :argue: Indeed, we are human, and it's our nature to be imperfect. Still, I like the idea that YaBB could be an online version of Earth.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

westwegoman

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 28th, 2013 at 5:43pm:
I like the idea that YaBB could be an online version of Earth.

Bill, you sure do have some interesting visions Wink

If they're big enough to hook, they're big enough to cook!!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint