Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Possible admin security mod? (Read 6290 times)
J.R. Bentley

I Love YaBB 2!

Possible admin security mod?
Aug 14th, 2012 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Good afternoon everyone! I have a a YaBB forum installed and was cleaning out my registration log this morning and realized that a very useful tool might be in order. As I was copying and pasting the user names, email addresses and IP addresses of spammers to my sticky notes to be recopied and pasted into the ban fields I realized that a very time saving and useful tool could be a great improvement.

I thought that it might be possible to incorporate an additional option to "Instant ban" the registration request. Something that takes the user,email and IP from the registration log and auto inserts them into the matching ban lists. What a time and effort saver this would be!  I looked around and saw nothing like this in the mods? I am going to install the security question mod to cut down on spam but this would also be a great addition to the admin features if concidered?

Thank you for allowing me to request this possible mod and have a great day!

J.R. Bentley

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Re: Possible admin security mod?
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Hi,

If you're comfy with modifying the code yourself then have a look at this post over on Carsten's forum - It should do exactly what you want:

http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1320684758/9#9

I'm not sure which version of YaBB you are using, but it should work with 2.4/2.5.

IP Logged

J.R. Bentley

I Love YaBB 2!

Thank you Derek !
Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Thank you Derek! I am using YaBB 2.5 AE, I will go and check it out ! Thank you for the time to get to this question. Kudos on the security question mod! I am sure it will help me greatly!

Coding, That is something I wanted to discuss with an expert here. I have no problems inserting code snippets when explained where and what to replace or change.

I have to ask though? Is not Boardmod just a code editor? I have a very good server host that uses Cpanel 2 with a built in code editor and on the fly backup. Could it be easier for me to just edit the files in the different folders rather than going through the whole board mod  process?

How do I get the snippets and instructions for the different mods? Is this info available somewhere ? I noticed that you share the manual snippet instructions for your mod improvements and I for one very much appreciate your efforts to do this for those that can edit their own code.

J.R.

P.S. Went to Carsten's forum and found snippets! You guys are awsome man! looking forward to making a few adjustments to my forum. Thank you so much guys!

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Yep, BoardMod is basically just a code editor, and if you'd rather make the edits yourself instead of using the BoardMod program then that's absolutely fine to do.

If you open the .mod file in a text editor you should find it self explanatory - here's a quick example from the Antispam Question Mod (Antispam_Question_V0_2.mod):

Code
Select All
<edit file>
Admin/ModList.pl
</edit file>

<search for>
### END BOARDMOD ANCHOR ###
</search for>

<add before>
    $reg_question_mod = "Anti-Spam Question|Derek Barnstorm|This Mod will add a random question which must be answered on registration. [<span class=\"small\"><a href=\"$adminurl?action=reg_question\" style=\"font-weight: bold;\">Anti-Spam Question Settings</a></span>]|0.2|7th November 2011";
    push (@installed_mods, "$reg_question_mod");

</add before> 

All you have is <edit file> which is the file to edit, <search for> which is the code in that file to search for, and then either <replace>, <add before> or <add after>.

I hope that makes sense...

IP Logged

J.R. Bentley

I Love YaBB 2!

Fantastic!
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
This is exactly what I was looking for! You do good work man! I am elated to see your dedication and efforts towards improving this program. It shows great integrity Sir.

You may be interested in the subject matter of my new sites Lol. The Brits are making a joke of the heavy interest about this topic over here in the states Lol.

There is a banner on the front page that links to the YaBB forum, shtfknowledge(dot)com

Again thank you so very much for your time  getting my mind wrapped around how this program works and please have a great evening! I am off to play with it!

J.R.

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 6:05pm:
Yep, BoardMod is basically just a code editor, and if you'd rather make the edits yourself instead of using the BoardMod program then that's absolutely fine to do.

This is very helpful. Thank you very much!  :2thumbsup:

For me personally when I've used it, I really appreciated that BoardMod gives step by step instructions with it's "Manual Installation" option. Wonderfully helpful! I'm particularly grateful for that option because it's been a great way for me to learn more about how YaBB's coding works. Very cool!  Cool

You geniuses rock!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
J.R. Bentley wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 6:43pm:
This is exactly what I was looking for! You do good work man! I am elated to see your dedication and efforts towards improving this program. It shows great integrity Sir.

You may be interested in the subject matter of my new sites Lol. The Brits are making a joke of the heavy interest about this topic over here in the states Lol.

There is a banner on the front page that links to the YaBB forum, shtfknowledge(dot)com

Again thank you so very much for your time  getting my mind wrapped around how this program works and please have a great evening! I am off to play with it!

J.R.

You're very welcome.

I'm not sure I get what it is us Brits are making a joke of though? Maybe I'm being slow... or not typically British...

IP Logged

J.R. Bentley

I Love YaBB 2!

To explain
Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Unfortunately here in the states we cannot get real and truthful news about our own country.  I have to get my news about what is really happening here from your country. We are mentally manipulated in mass here by our media.

I have ran across quite a few articles about how the U.S. is overly obsessed with the idea of the S*** hitting the fan soon. Doomsday preppers and Etc. They seem to find it humorous that the topic has become such a big business here. The stocking up of guns and ammo is the main direction of the humor.

There is a big movement towards self sustained living and independence from the big corporations and government. I just jumped on the band wagon with my sites because I too think we might soon need old way knowledge to survive along with a few extra tins of kippers. The economy is not getting any better,Lol.

I based my comment on the articles I have read but should not have stereotyped, I apologize for that Derek. Again thank you so much for your time and help Sir. Please have a great day!

J.R.

shtfknowledge.com

IP Logged

westwegoman

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
J.R. Bentley wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 5:48pm:
Kudos on the security question mod! I am sure it will help me greatly!

You will find that it makes a big difference in the amount of spammers getting through. I almost gave up on forums before this came along Smiley

If they're big enough to hook, they're big enough to cook!!!!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 1:08am
Print Post  
J.R. Bentley wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:17am:
Unfortunately here in the states we cannot get real and truthful news about our own country.  I have to get my news about what is really happening here from your country. We are mentally manipulated in mass here by our media.

I have ran across quite a few articles about how the U.S. is overly obsessed with the idea of the S*** hitting the fan soon. Doomsday preppers and Etc. They seem to find it humorous that the topic has become such a big business here. The stocking up of guns and ammo is the main direction of the humor.

There is a big movement towards self sustained living and independence from the big corporations and government. I just jumped on the band wagon with my sites because I too think we might soon need old way knowledge to survive along with a few extra tins of kippers. The economy is not getting any better,Lol.

I based my comment on the articles I have read but should not have stereotyped, I apologize for that Derek. Again thank you so much for your time and help Sir. Please have a great day!

J.R.

shtfknowledge.com

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining. No reason to apologize - I was just intrigued. Smiley

IP Logged

J.R. Bentley

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 9:04pm:
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 6:05pm:

This is very helpful. Thank you very much!  :2thumbsup:

For me personally when I've used it, I really appreciated that BoardMod gives step by step instructions with it's "Manual Installation" option. Wonderfully helpful! I'm particularly grateful for that option because it's been a great way for me to learn more about how YaBB's coding works. Very cool!  Cool

You geniuses rock!  Smiley

Good afternoon Bill, After reading the directions for using boardmod and seeing the "manual installation" I realized that because my server file manager had a built in code editor it might be several extra steps that were unneeded to complete the same results. Download and install Boardmod, Download two copies of the files, edit one manually in Boardmod then upload and rewrite.  I  realized I could edit the files much easier and do it it right on my server with no downloads or uploads at all. But not everyone has this capability with their server features though, so the Boardmod would be a very much required tool at that point. All the dedication to this script is fantastic! Thank you for the reply!

J.R.

IP Logged

J.R. Bentley

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
westwegoman wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:30pm:
J.R. Bentley wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 5:48pm:
Kudos on the security question mod! I am sure it will help me greatly!

You will find that it makes a big difference in the amount of spammers getting through. I almost gave up on forums before this came along Smiley

I have been to busy to install it but can't wait! I think I have so far banned just about every IP address from Russia,China,Poland and the Ukraine ! Lol. Is there a Whole country ban button mod? Lol.

I am going to contact you at your site if you don't mind, I have a good friend, editor and author you might like to meet to discuss going fishing.

J.R.

IP Logged

westwegoman

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
J.R. Bentley wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 1:42pm:
I have been to busy to install it but can't wait! I think I have so far banned just about every IP address from Russia,China,Poland and the Ukraine ! Lol. Is there a Whole country ban button mod? Lol.

I had actually banned whole countrys but deleted most of the IP's after installing that mod. My htaccess file was huge. LOL.

J.R. Bentley wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 1:42pm:
I am going to contact you at your site if you don't mind, I have a good friend, editor and author you might like to meet to discuss going fishing.

Sounds good. Smiley

If they're big enough to hook, they're big enough to cook!!!!
IP Logged

Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
J.R. Bentley wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 1:29pm:
Good afternoon Bill, After reading the directions for using boardmod and seeing the "manual installation" I realized that because my server file manager had a built in code editor it might be several extra steps that were unneeded to complete the same results.

Ah, good point.  Wink

Ironically, thanks to a YaBBer who had modified his own forum with a CAPTCHA hack without using BoardMod, I followed his lead to do the same for our forum.

Very happily, this stopped all spam-bots cold. Previously, we had been getting hundreds of attempted registrations a day because of spam-bot automation that easily defeats CAPTCHA verification codes (our form no longer requires registrants to jump through that hoop).

As for using the BoardMod program, I was ignorant about how it actually worked, and afraid that I wouldn't be able to use it. But I got encouragement from YaBBers to take the plunge to install the BoardMod program, and give it a try.

I'm glad I did. It's like having a help-bot to assist me.

As for the results you get while taking less steps to accomplish the same thing, I'm reminded of one forum software in particular that forked off from YaBB SE many years ago. Their modification process is now built in to the core of their software so that modified files are updated directly on the server.

I'm hoping that YaBB will more or less do the same thing at some point, i.e., marry BoardMod with YaBB's core so that it's more or less a one-step process.

Well, with an undo feature in case it's needed.  Wink Roll Eyes

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint