Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: YaBBForum.com Forum Issues (Read 3640 times)
Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

Re: YaBBForum.com Forum Issues
Jul 31st, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Regarding the YaBB Community Support Forum, I've seen what appears to be a dramatic change in how it's being moderated.

The good news is that there's more than just one moderator now, which is great because it helps with the deletion of spam posts.

Weirdly enough, they're not using any of the anti-spam mods, although I guess that's an entire other discussion in and of itself.

The bad news (or maybe not) is that censorship is at an all-time high. However, even though I'm one of the people who's being targeted, I'm wondering if in fact the censorship as they're practicing it is actually a good thing.

Specifically, as one of the moderators informed me today, "the moderation team will be removing any" ... "posts that are considered to be criticism of the actions and decisions by the Administration and Moderating Team of this forum."

Evidently, I've been quite the offender.  .oops.

Removing myself from the equation so that I can hopefully be objective, at first glance this censorship would seem to be a good thing.

On the other hand, how can any forum operate successfully without constructive criticism?

As an example, if as I've done I criticize YaBB for not installing ant-spam mods, or for not following up on bug reports or link errors, many of which have gone past three years to resolve them, is that a reason to delete those posts?

In any case, I've been using YaBB for more than 10 years now, and I'd prefer to keep using it. And while I'm very happily enthusiastic about the refreshed energy to push ahead with the next version of YaBB, I'm somewhat alarmed at how the YaBB Community Support Forum in particular is being operated.

For now, unless people tell me differently, I'm going to presume that I've made a mountain out of a molehill, and that everything is as it should be with YaBB.

That is, in the big picture of things.  Wink

Edited:
:balloon: By the way, apparently it's Corey's birthday today, so happy July 30th birthday! :balloon:

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Bill Myers

Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Hmmm, maybe I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill after all. Judge for yourself.  Roll Eyes

In reply to the message you see below as I coded it (referenced here):

Code
Select All
Mudaber Qureshi							   Posts: 5
YaBB Newbie
Offline								   YaBB 1 Final

Re: Spam Problem with my forum

Bill Myers your reply was best and relevant to my problem Specially thanks to you

IP Logged 

Of the posts that I made to give my help, some of which were also deleted, I posted the following (which was yet another deleted post of mine):

Quote:
I was happy to help, and I'm glad it worked out for you.

Let us know if you need any more help, and have fun in your forum!  :2thumbsup:

Edited:
Sorry about the other thank you post that was deleted. But I sent you a copy of it in email.  Wink

Seriously. The reply you see of mine above was one of those that got deleted.  Roll Eyes

Other than the thumbs-up icon being different, this is what the moderator deleted (among other posts of mine he deleted in the same topic).

I guess I should point out that the moderator who deleted my posts was also the same one who offered his help in this same topic. It seems that he was upset about the reply that was left for me, of which I'm a little surprised is still online.

In any case, do you kind of see what I mean by what's been going on?  Roll Eyes

My gut tells me that Corey has no idea about any of this, and I really don't want to bother him with it. But I can't imagine he'd condone this kind of unacceptable censorship.

Strangely enough, I'm finding it all kind of amusing, but in a sad way of course.  Sad

So all I can say with some amusement is that I don't want to be where I'm not wanted. So if any of you see me missing in action over there, it may have been of my own choosing.

Meanwhile, if I need support for our YaBB forum, I'm hoping I can get it here. So far, support here has been great.  Cool

IP Logged

westwegoman

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 5:01am
Print Post  
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 12:03am:
made a mountain out of a molehill

I like mountains. Don't see any down here along the bayous of S.E. Louisiana. Everything is flat.  :laugh4:

If they're big enough to hook, they're big enough to cook!!!!
IP Logged

Bill Myers

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Very sadly, my advocacy to make the YaBB Community Support forum a better place has turned into a discussion about me instead of about the real issues adversely affecting YaBB itself (you can start here if you dare, and then venture out into an uglier part of this discussion if you can be okay with disrupted personalities).

It's not about me, people. It's about YaBB.  Roll Eyes

It's particularly depressing to think about this since throwing stones at the messenger seems to be the way that some people have chosen to improve YaBB. But that doesn't seem to make any sense.

What's probably happened is that their frustrations, my frustrations, and our collective frustrations over YaBB's current state of affairs has gotten everyone kind of wound up to the extent that hardly anyone is thinking clearly.

Go figure, but I'm now thinking more clearly than ever.  Shocked

I'm hoping things will calm down to a normal world view of how all of us together can improve YaBB. I've already started first by correcting my own mistakes, which will become abundantly clearer with my actions.

For you haters, if I can do it, so can you.  Wink

And for me personally as I've stated many times, the glass is half full when I think of YaBB. But let's fill it up, okay?

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 1:00am
Print Post  

Thanks for moving this previously split topic to a better place.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint