Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Taking suggestions for YaBB 2.x (Read 6513 times)
Dandello
Forum Administrator

I Love YaBB 2!

Taking suggestions for YaBB 2.x
Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:02am
Print Post  
We have some movement on creating Next version of YaBB2.5 AKA 2.x and in that vein, would like some suggestions - aside from anti-spam mods which we already know is an absolute must - as which which of the fantastic 2.4/2.5 Mods here are so useful that it would be a shame for YaBBers to miss out on?

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

Re: Taking suggestions for YaBB 2.x
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:02am:
We have some movement on creating Next version of YaBB2.5 AKA 2.x and in that vein, would like some suggestions - aside from anti-spam mods which we already know is an absolute must - as which which of the fantastic 2.4/2.5 Mods here are so useful that it would be a shame for YaBBers to miss out on?

In addition to asking what mods to include in YaBB's next version, a great start would be to actually utilize existing mods that have been suggested for use to improve the YaBB Support Community forum. That way, members will know YaBB is sincere in its efforts.

Reportedly, not a single team leader has access to YaBB's server to install these mods. Obviously, this needs to be corrected.

On a related note that's very important to showing the YaBB community at large that they will be respected if they start contributing in larger numbers again, team leaders of the YaBB Support Community need to stop putting members on probation, and then subsequently banning them for offering their help when said team leaders see this help as criticism.

The better solution would be to actually respect YaBB's membership, show gratitude for the help that's being given, and implement changes to continually improve the forum, and its software.

Having used YaBB for almost as long as it's been around, I'm a big supporter, and I believe with the right team leaders, YaBB will once again be a prominent forum provider.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Tea-Master
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:02am:

Well it depends on the purpose of your forum.
Of course security related mods are important for every forum, although YaBB has made great progress in the last versions to fight spam.
But other then that YaBB would just be bloated with features, and then performance and stability may decrease. So it makes more sense to think about the features YOUR forum (or better you and the forum members) really need.

A more private forum may need features like Event Calendar, Birthday List, Member Awards (could also be solved by member groups, but this is even better) or a kudos mod (I'm not sure if this still exists for newer YaBB versions).

I personally like to enable the user to change the style of the forum (style switcher) and the member map (YaMMS).

Btw here are installed: AutoTabs, YaMMS and of course StopForumSpam. I'm sure Michael implemented some additional tweaks, never released as a mod Wink

As a final note: just dig into the mod database and have a look to finally customize your YaBB and make it unique.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tea-Master. I agree that a lot of features should be left to the forum owner to decide if they want or need them. No much is too much.  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Dandello wrote on Aug 12th, 2012 at 10:09pm:
Thanks Tea-Master. I agree that a lot of features should be left to the forum owner to decide if they want or need them. No much is too much.  Wink

I'm in agreement with you on this. The only thing I would add is that it would be great if YaBB could more easily integrate BoardMod into it's software so that admins could more easily install the mods they want.

I don't know; is asking for BoardMod to be an actual part of YaBB's core too much to ask? Maybe it is. I suppose an alternate solution would be to have more concise instructions about how to install, and use BoardMod.

I finally figured it out, but then, I had a lot of help given to me here in this forum.

As for a less bloated version of YaBB, I thought you came up with a brilliant idea to have three different versions; or however you presented it. If that was done, that would probably be a first in forum software.

YaBB would once again take a leadership position.  :2thumbsup:

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Actually, Bill, that's on my mind as something for a future version of YaBB (or a mod)  creating a version of BoardMod that could be run in the forum's server.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 9:44am
Print Post  
I was looking at some modules not so long ago to do in place editing. One I found interesting was File::Inplace because it does back-ups:

http://search.cpan.org/~chipt/File-Inplace-0.20/lib/File/Inplace.pm

I've only glanced at it quickly and haven't tried it out to know if it would be any good or not though.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
It does look interesting.  Smiley Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint