Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Uploading Files (Read 6917 times)
Derek Bullock

I love Camp Oven Cooking

Uploading Files
May 11th, 2012 at 12:35am
Print Post  
I have always been very happy with BoardMod and it's simplicity. However wouldn't it be nice if after modding the necessary files that there was another button called "Upload" that you click on to have the modded files placed on the server.

Possible???? Maybe/maybe not Smiley

Or a challenge maybe for someone.  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

Re: Uploading Files
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2012 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Derek Bullock wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 12:35am:
wouldn't it be nice if after modding the necessary files that there was another button called "Upload" that you click on to have the modded files placed on the server.

Just as SMF makes it easy to install their forum (self installation), installing mods is also quite easy.

They have what's called a "Package Manager" that is part of SMF. It would be like YaBB having a menu item called "BoardMod" to install mods.

With SMF's "Package Manager", you simply click "Browse..." to locate the mod you want installed.

Then you click "Upload" to place it on your server.

The last step is to click "Install" and your mod becomes active.

For the most part, it really is that simple. Also, like Boardmod can so wonderfully do, if it's desired or needed, there's a step-by-step guide to manually install a mod.

Naturally, after a mod is installed, you can simply click "Uninstall" to remove it.

So if the next generation of YaBB can implement their version of self-installing their forum, then I'm guessing BoardMod can basically follow suit to do the same with mods.

Let's keep in mind that SMF is basically an updated version of YaBB with all the bells and whistles, i.e., they pretty much "copied" YaBB's software, and SMF even gives credit for that copying/forking.

So why can't YaBB now copy SMF's more advanced features like self-installation of its forum and mods, and surpass it to be number one again?

I'm a believer!  :angel:

Edited:
Edited to correct a spelling error.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 1:17am
Print Post  
You're not being ignored - an easy installer and easy mod manager is definitely on the 'todo' list. If SMF can do it, so can we  Grin

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Dandello wrote on Nov 8th, 2012 at 1:17am:
You're not being ignored - an easy installer and easy mod manager is definitely on the 'todo' list. If SMF can do it, so can we  Grin

You and the rest of the YaBB team have been doing a terrific job for a good stretch of time now. Whatever juiced all of you up, I want some of the same; very inspiring!

Please keep up the great work, and thanks!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Derek Bullock

I love Camp Oven Cooking

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Had forgotten I posted this.  Would be nice to see it though.

Cheers

Derek

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint