Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5/2.5.2 (Read 95249 times)
westwegoman

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5
Reply #225 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
The anti-spam question is already part of 2.5.2, all you have to do is enable it.

I haven't looked too far into what it would take to make the stop forum spam mod work with 2.5.2. There are quite a few edits to the mod that would have to be done from what i saw. Since the mod was not written by me, I can't do these edits and release it but I'm sure Derek will, once he has a chance.

I use both anti-spam and spam fruits on my forum and they work really well. I've had less than 5 spamtards get through in the past year. If possible, try to use a question unique to your forum.

You can have a look at my register page and see what I've done to stop them in thier tracks.

http://www.segnette.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=register

If they're big enough to hook, they're big enough to cook!!!!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Re: StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5/2.5.2
Reply #226 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Sorry guys - I've attached a separate mod file for 2.5.2 to the first post now: 'StopForumSpam_Mod_V0_6_252.zip'. You'll still need the rest of the files from the 2.5 package though...

IP Logged

Derek Bullock

I love Camp Oven Cooking

Reply #227 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 5:10am
Print Post  
With the right PERL modules online I have now installed this.

Will be interesting to see the error logs now as to what catches them first. Smiley

Thanks Derek

IP Logged

Derek Bullock

I love Camp Oven Cooking

Re: StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5
Reply #228 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 5:11am
Print Post  
RonS2 wrote on Mar 11th, 2012 at 4:37pm:
Just wanted to touch base.

I've noticed a concern lately with folks registering with iPads.

In the last few weeks I've had more than a handful of people telling me they where pegged as spammers. While investigating I found they all were using iPads. I asked them to try registering on a computer and when they did they no longer had a problem.

Most where from the States while a few of them were from the UK.

I'm not sure if this is something that con be resolved other then asking them to use a real computer during the registration process.

FWIW, I have been averaging 5 new members a day over the last few months and have 400 new members since Christmas.

Not sure if others have picked up on this but I have had a few, not all people, with iPads tell me they couldn't see the CAPTCHA

Cheers

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Thank goodness for BoardMod!

Reply #229 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Derek Bullock wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 5:11am:
Not sure if others have picked up on this but I have had a few, not all people, with iPads tell me they couldn't see the CAPTCHA

That's always been the case with iPads. Nobody using an iPad will be able to see the CAPTCHA verification code.

It does appear on iPods however. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #230 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I see no reason at all why this mod would affect the CAPTCHA image - it only adds a small piece of code to the register form checks and it's after the CAPTCHA image is generated.

Derek Bullock wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 5:10am:
Will be interesting to see the error logs now as to what catches them first.

That actually depend where abouts the anti-spam mods appear in the register code checks - the ones closer to the top of the page will be triggered first, and this this is pretty much the very last check, so if the other anti-spam tools are working then you shouldn't notice this too often. You might only notice it when it catches a human spammer out.

IP Logged

Derek Bullock

I love Camp Oven Cooking

Reply #231 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Derek, I actually disabled the others just to see and notice 6 spammers stopped in the last couple of hours.

Very nice mod.

Thanks again

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #232 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Great! The guys at SFS do a fantastic job - their poor server must get a right hammering.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #233 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
I've attached a new mod file for the YaBB 2.5.2 version to the first post - there was an issue with the text in the admin language file being added to the Anti-spam Questions section. Thanks to xnoddyx for pointing it out.

If you don't want to install the mod again, in Languages/English/Admin.lng find:

Code
Select All
);

# Anti-spam Question Settings
%spam_question_txt = ( 

And add before:

Code
Select All
'stopforumspam' => 'StopForumSpam',
'stopforumspam_header' => 'These settings allow you to check the <a href="http://www.stopforumspam.com/" target="_blank">StopForumSpam.com</a> database for Usernames, IP Addresses and Email Addresses on registration, guest posting, broadcast message, alert moderator and send topic. If any details match a spammers details in their database then registration or guest posting will not be allowed. You can also allow Administrators to submit details to the database when spammers get through who haven\'t already been submitted (you will need an API Key from their website for the submit feature to work).',
'stopforumspam_modules' => 'The folowing modules are missing which need to be installed before you can enable these settings:', 

You can then remove the above code from before:

Code
Select All
);

# RSS Settings
%rss_txt = ( 

Again, this only affects the 2.5.2 version, and not the 2.5.

IP Logged

djb2002

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #234 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
I've tried to re-install this mod after an upgrade to 2.5.2, but having problems.

I'm using the mod file for 2.5.2.

It installs, but when I try and enable it and set the options it loses these when I go back into the 'StopForumSpam' tab...

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Daniel

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #235 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Check to see if the changes have been made to Admin/NewSettings.pl and that you have definitely uploaded it. That's the only thing I can think of which would make it behave like that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 
Send TopicPrint