Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5/2.5.2 (Read 95377 times)
Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Re: StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5
Reply #210 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 5:19pm:
* I could of cause have a separate setting for username, IP and email address for both 'last seen' and 'frequency', but maybe that would be a bit overkill?

Actually, I'm thinking this might be the best way now. It will keep everyone happy that way and they can have full control over what and how they want things checking...

IP Logged

BloodyRue

The Sea Organization will
rot your brain.

Reply #211 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Funny thing is now, I have been toying with letting spammers in to post in a board that only they can see. Instead of banning them, just dump them to a spot to take what they do, but      nobody but them and me can see it.

I used to do that with people I banned on my old board setups, they thought they were replying to stuff but only they could see it.  I loved the signs of frustration as they went on and tried to make their points but were ignored by who they were blasting.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #212 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
BloodyRue wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:34pm:
I have been toying with letting spammers in to post in a board that only they can see

Don't. Wink

I think I've said this before, but that will only encourage them to your forum. Spammers share URLs and if they are successfully posting links, then they are more likely to share your URL between them and keep coming back. And once you're on their lists, then things will only get worse for you.

Also, the majority of spammers are bots, which obviously don't even see your forum, let alone get frustrated when they are ignored.

The only person that's going to get frustrated from that situation is yourself. Smiley

Spammers shouldn't be encouraged to post links in any way, shape or form (in my opinion). Smiley

IP Logged

cepheid

What?

Reply #213 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
BloodyRue wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:34pm:
Funny thing is now, I have been toying with letting spammers in to post in a board that only they can see.

That might be "funny" for humans who are actively posting whom you're  trying to punish.  Most spammers are simply bots and will never know that you've "jailed" them, nor would they care too much, since the whole intent of spamming is to simply spread garbage everywhere and hope enough of it goes unnoticed to be "useful" to them.

Allowing spammers to register and post simply increases server load, particularly if you get on some list of "open servers," whereupon every spammer will descend upon you like locusts on fresh crops.  Having dozens (or hundreds, or thousands) of spammer registrations also makes managing real users kind of a nightmare, in addition to the performance hit.

I'd much rather stamp them out like the vermin they are.

IP Logged

BloodyRue

The Sea Organization will
rot your brain.

Reply #214 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
You are right.

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #215 - Feb 12th, 2012 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Since with our new host we have full network access (inbound and outbound), I'm now able to install this mod. Let's see how effective it will be against the horde...  Roll Eyes

The Administrator.
IP Logged

cepheid

What?

Reply #216 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Michael, it appears that a few tweaks to the captcha settings has been frustrating all the Xrumer folks.  I haven't had a single hit to SFS in a couple of months after modifying my captcha settings.  I can share the settings if people are interested.

IP Logged

RonS2

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #217 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Just wanted to touch base.

I've noticed a concern lately with folks registering with iPads.

In the last few weeks I've had more than a handful of people telling me they where pegged as spammers. While investigating I found they all were using iPads. I asked them to try registering on a computer and when they did they no longer had a problem.

Most where from the States while a few of them were from the UK.

I'm not sure if this is something that con be resolved other then asking them to use a real computer during the registration process.

FWIW, I have been averaging 5 new members a day over the last few months and have 400 new members since Christmas.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #218 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Hi Ron,

I have no troubles registering with an IPad myself, but I go through the same router so my IP address is the same as when using my computer.

It's probably worth checking with them how and where they are connecting to the internet with their IPad. If they think that their IP has been reported by mistake, then that would be something that they would have to take up with SFS.

I can't see any reason why there would be a problem specific to the IPad when it only checks for IP/email, so I can only assume it has something to do with how they are connecting.

IP Logged

RonS2

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #219 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Thanks Derek,

I'm under the impression these people were not at home and were using an IP address other than the one they have at home. Maybe that was the case.

It was just unusual that so many where having the same problem so close together.

Thanks for your time.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #220 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Okay, no worries. I guess it's just because folk use iPads when they're out and about, so they must have been using a shared IP which has been reported. Unfortunately, there's always going to be a chance of blocking legitimate users.

IP Logged

pyragony

abgeschlafft und ausgebufft

Reply #221 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 7:58am
Print Post  
pyragony wrote on Nov 28th, 2011 at 5:43pm:
Problem: The line 'no_siglinks_allowed' is in the German language files do not exist. It has been simply forgotten. I've worked it so that it installed later this mod.

Hi Derek, if you want to customize this mod for YaBB 2.5.2, then do not use the German files. I will adjust accordingly. I make for the new version, the translations and correct it like these and other errors.

IP Logged

djb2002

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #222 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know if this mod is compatible with YaBB 2.5.2 (English version) ?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

IP Logged

westwegoman

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #223 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
As of right now, it will not work. Many of the search strings could not be found when I tested it. There was a lot of things changed in the files during the building of the newest version of YaBB.

In the meantime, Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod and Carsten's Spam Fruits are now part of the 2.5.2 core. Both of these, when used, are very effective.

If they're big enough to hook, they're big enough to cook!!!!
IP Logged

djb2002

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #224 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
I've upgraded to 2.5.2 today, and although I have the spam fruits enabled it still isn't stopping quite a few spam registrations.

I may look at adding the Anti-Spam question too, but the StopForumSpam one was great, as it did a lot of it behind the scenes to the person registering.

Would it be a big job to get the StopForumSpam mod to work with 2.5.2 ?

Thanks
Daniel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 
Send TopicPrint