Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5/2.5.2 (Read 95334 times)
BloodyRue

The Sea Organization will
rot your brain.

Re: StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5
Reply #195 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
http://www.botscout.com/code.htm

This seems similar to make a mod for like sfs.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #196 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I'm aware of it. There's also FSpamlist.

I've still got plenty to work on with this Mod first, but I might take another look at them in the future (if nobody else does). The only thing that puts me off is having two or three different connections, but I guess that would be up to the admin anyway.

I was planning on making one for Akismet - that seems pretty good - but I think it would only really work if YaBB had some sort of moderation queue for posts.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #197 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Oh, we now have a link on the SFS Mods & Plugins page, which is pretty cool I think:

http://stopforumspam.com/contributions

Thanks to Paul from SFS for putting up the link for us.

Smiley

IP Logged

cepheid

What?

Reply #198 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Derek, I think it would be good, in the future, to add support for the other sites.  The interface wouldn't even have to change much except for adding a drop-down list where one could select one or more of the sites to check.  Obviously, the back-end would require some additional subs, one for each site to do the checking.  You don't need to worry about multiple connections, because you can just check them in serial - if you get a hit on one, you don't need to check any of the rest.  The order of the drop-down list could be settable by the admin so the admin chooses in which order to check the multiple sites.

But, I agree, this is for a future enhancement. Smiley

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #199 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Could also allow you to automatically check another site if the first one is down ... get around that question of approve or refuse when SFS is down.

I told you this is eventually going to rival the Guardian for what it achieves! Go Derek!

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #200 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 12:40am
Print Post  
I have to admit that I don't know how keen I am on having all the sites in one Mod. I can't help but think they would be best off separate - there's no reason why they couldn't work together anyway. Or maybe even a totally new Mod for all of them. But I haven't really given it too much though yet.

The only other one I'm really interested in right now is Akismet, but unfortunately I think that will only really work with some sort of post moderation system.

IP Logged

cepheid

What?

Reply #201 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Derek, if you have them in multiple, separate mods, they will compete with one another, in the sense that the checks for rejection/banning all need to happen in a specific order.  The only way to make them "play nice" is to incorporate them into a single "spamcheck" mod.

Doesn't have to happen right now, or even be done by you... but I think if someone ever wants to use multiple databases, it has to be done within a single mod that can make them play nicely together, and in the proper order.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #202 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 1:42am
Print Post  
I like the idea of being able to check all the sites, I just don't know if it's something that should be incorporated into this specific Mod.

Maybe it would make a nice new mod/project though. It might even be a lot easier to start it from scratch.

It would save a name change that way too. Smiley

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #203 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 3:21am:
cepheid wrote on Dec 4th, 2011 at 8:05am:
The SFS mod is still very important, however!  In fact... Derek, what do you think about expanding it to auto-report auto-captcha-decoder bots?  For example, if a single IP has triggered a "bad captcha" error more than X times in Y seconds/minutes, it gets auto-reported to SFS as a spambot.  Something like X=10 and Y=60 would seem to capture most of the troublemakers but would exclude almost all legitimate humans (since very few legit users would have that many bad captchas in that short a time).  Not entirely sure how this could be implemented... would probably have to mod the captcha validation code such that a bad captcha would then search the Error Log and count up the results.  (It would be neat if spambots could be auto-banned as well... that would be an easy expansion to the above.)  What do you think?

Nice idea, but SFS don't like reporting to be done unless spam has actually made it through to the forum, so it's not really something that can be implemented in this mod I'm afraid. Smiley

http://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=26246#p26246

I've also just read that they don't permit auto-submissions anyway. They like it to be done manually to "ensure validity".
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2012 at 5:20am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #204 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 12:20am
Print Post  
I just wondered what you guys thought about this...

In the next version I'm going to make use of the 'last seen' record, so you can have the option to only block spammers who have been active in the last X amount of time. There's less chance of blocking legitimate users by IP then, if they're unfortunate enough to have inherited an IP that a spammer used 3 years ago.

Anyway, right now I have got the times hard coded in with these options in a select box:

Quote:
3 Months
6 Months
1 Year
2 Years
3 Years
Block all

But now I'm thinking it might be better to have an input field so admins can enter the number of days by themselves. Has anybody got any thoughts or preferences on this?
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2012 at 2:22am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

cepheid

What?

Reply #205 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Not a bad idea.  I would hope that SFS would actually drop records after some time, but since they don't, this may be a good option.  A drop-down field or an open text field is fine by me; I don't have a strong preference either way.

Would you implement this only for IP, not for email?  (That's what I would do; hard to imagine a legitimate user would "inherit" a spammer's email address.)

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #206 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 3:35am
Print Post  
cepheid wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 2:47am:
 I would hope that SFS would actually drop records after some time, but since they don't, this may be a good option.

I think that's why they must have the 'last seen' there - they don't actually advise blocking based on old records.

A drop-down field or an open text field is fine by me; I don't have a strong preference either way.

The reason I'm undecided what to do is because I think the drop down field is better for the more novice admin or one that doesn't look into the workings of SFS, but a text field gives more control for the more experienced. I might go for the text field and give it a default value of 365 days.

Would you implement this only for IP, not for email?  (That's what I would do; hard to imagine a legitimate user would "inherit" a spammer's email address.)

Right now, it's one setting and implemented on IP, email and username. I get your point though, and it wouldn't take much to remove a couple of variables if you think that's best? How about usernames?

I've added the 'frequency' record too. If details have only been submitted to the database, say one time, then the chances are that it was a mistake or somebody with a personal vendetta against somebody else, so that should stop potential issues too. This is set for all of the details too right now. Any preferences on that?

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #207 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 4:51am
Print Post  
hard to imagine a legitimate user would "inherit" a spammer's email address.

I've just thought of a situation when I guess this could arise, even though the chances are admittedly extremely minute.

If a domain name was used as an email domain to spam some time ago, and then that domain was given up and someone was to buy it, then I suppose there is a chance of a legitimate user being blocked by their email.

Told you it was extremely minute. Shocked Cheesy

IP Logged

cepheid

What?

Reply #208 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 3:35am:
Right now, it's one setting and implemented on IP, email and username. I get your point though, and it wouldn't take much to remove a couple of variables if you think that's best? How about usernames?

I don't advocate blocking on usernames at all (I turn that option off).  Not sure whether you want to implement it for that or not.  For email, I'd say ignore "lastseen," but then again, spammers tend to use one-off or very short-lived emails, so I strongly doubt anyone would even try to register with a year-old address anyway.  Probably doesn't matter if you implement it for them or not.

Derek Barnstorm wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 3:35am:
I've added the 'frequency' record too. If details have only been submitted to the database, say one time, then the chances are that it was a mistake or somebody with a personal vendetta against somebody else, so that should stop potential issues too. This is set for all of the details too right now. Any preferences on that?

Not entirely sure.  Personally I think that's such a small likelihood that I'd ignore frequency.  What if the spammer is "new" and only one person has reported him so far?  I'd still want to block them.  For email addresses, it's perfectly possible (if unlikely) that the email could be listed only once, if the spammer is using a one-off service.

That's not to say it shouldn't be implemented, for the more conservative admin... but I'd be perfectly comfortable ignoring it.  I'm also comfortable ignoring "lastseen," though. Smiley

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #209 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
cepheid wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 6:37am:
I don't advocate blocking on usernames at all (I turn that option off).  

Neither do I really. I turn that option off myself (even on my demo board). There's a bit of a discussion going on about it now (you need to be logged in to read it though):

http://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3722

For email, I'd say ignore "lastseen," but then again, spammers tend to use one-off or very short-lived emails, so I strongly doubt anyone would even try to register with a year-old address anyway.  Probably doesn't matter if you implement it for them or not.

I guess I'll just implement 'last seen' for IP addresses then. *

What if the spammer is "new" and only one person has reported him so far?  

Yeah, that is the one time when you would want to block if the details only appear once.

That's not to say it shouldn't be implemented, for the more conservative admin... but I'd be perfectly comfortable ignoring it.  I'm also comfortable ignoring "lastseen," though.

I'd be perfectly comfortable ignoring them myself too - I'd probably set them to about 2 years myself anyway - but I definitely think it's nice to have the options there.

* I could of cause have a separate setting for username, IP and email address for both 'last seen' and 'frequency', but maybe that would be a bit overkill?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 
Send TopicPrint