Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5/2.5.2 (Read 95343 times)
Derek Barnstorm
God Member

StopForumSpam Mod V0.6 for YaBB 2.5/2.5.2
Sep 8th, 2011 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
StopForumSpam Mod V0.6

Description:
----------------
This Mod will allow you to check the StopForumSpam.com database for Usernames, Email Addresses and IP Addresses on registration, guest posting, broadcast message, alert moderator and send topic. If any details match a spammers details in their database then registration or guest posting will not be allowed.

You can also allow Administrators to submit details to the database when spammers get through who haven't already been submitted (you will need an API Key from their website for the submit feature to work).

Note: The following modules need to be installed on your server for this mod to work. There is a module checker built in so you can easily see if any modules are missing. Also, you won't be able to enable the settings if any modules are missing.

LWP::UserAgent
XML::Simple
XML::SAX

German translations are available to download from this post (thanks pyragony):

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1315522544/167#167

Screenshots:
-----------------
Admin Center - Antispam Settings - StopForumSpam:

Error Message:

View Profile:

Board Index:

Admin Center - Registration Log:

Admin Center - Forum Statistics:

Response Page:

Admin Center - Forum Stats - StopForumSpam Log:

Zip Package:
-----------------
StopForumSpam_Mod_V0_6.mod
html_root/yabbfiles/Templates/Admin/default/admincatbg.gif
html_root/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sfs.png
cgi-bin/Admin/StopForumSpamLog.pl
cgi-bin/Languages/English/StopForumSpam.lng
cgi-bin/Sources/StopForumSpam.pl

Installation:
----------------
1) Modify YaBB files using BoardMod or manually.
2) Upload modified files to your server in ASCII mode.
3) Upload StopForumSpam.pl and StopForumSpam.lng to their relevant directories in ASCII mode.
4) Upload admincatbg.gif and sfs.png to their relevant directories in binary mode.
5) Go to Admin Center - Antispam Settings - StopForumSpam to configure the settings.

Files to edit:
----------------
AdminIndex.pl
Admin/Admin.pl
Admin/AdminSubList.pl
Admin/ModList.pl
Admin/ModuleChecker.pl
Admin/NewSettings.pl
Admin/RegistrationLog.pl
Admin/Settings_Antispam.pl
Languages/English/Admin.lng
Languages/English/Error.lng
Languages/English/Register.lng
Sources/BoardIndex.pl
Sources/Post.pl
Sources/Profile.pl
Sources/Register.pl
Sources/SendTopic.pl
Sources/SubList.pl
Templates/default/BoardIndex.template
Templates/yabb21/BoardIndex.template

Mod History:
----------------
V0.1 - First release - 8th September 2011
V0.1.1 - Optimized to only send one request - 13th September 2011
V0.1.2 - Fixed small syntax error - 16th October 2011
V0.2 - Added Admin options to choose which details to check against the database - 20th October 2011
V0.2.1 - Added error message if unable to connect to the SopForumSpam database and moved code below other checks on registration page - 26th October 2011
V0.2.2 - Added a timeout and Admin option to choose how registration should behave if the StopForumSpam database is unavailable and added a custom URL option to redirect spammers to another page/website - 31st October 2011
V0.3 - Added to the Module Check in Admin Center - 1st November 2011
V0.3.1 - Added module checks to the Register page so there will be no spam checks or errors if the required modules are not installed, and added module checks to the settings page so that the settings cannot be enabled if the required modules are not installed - 2nd November 2011
V0.4 - Added Auto-banning for IP Addresses and Email Addresses - 7th November 2011
V0.5 - Added ability for Administrators to submit spam to the StopForumSpam database from user profiles and the registration log, added option to block IPs on server level and moved code to a separate file - 16th November 2011
V0.5.1 - Fixed bug with auto-adding email addresses and added StopForumSpam Statistics to Admin Center and Board Index - 24th November 2011
V0.5.2 - Tidied up Statistics code - 24th November 2011
V0.6 - Added StopForumSpam registration log and added checks to guest posting, broadcast message, alert moderator and send topic - 27th November 2011
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:17pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

StopForumSpam_Mod_V0_6.zip ( 28 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Re: StopForumSpam Mod V0.1 for YaBB 2.5
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Always good to have more tools to use against spammers.

Will get this installed on my 2.5 forum very quickly. Don't know if it will work on the 2.4 forum or not, but we'll try that, as well.

Edited:
A couple of questions ... how would one know if they had those modules installed or not? Also, will the mod tell the admin about blocked attempts to register, or for testing purposes will we just have to notice if we are getting less spam-style registrations?

Installed smoothly, but I don't really know how to tell, at the moment, if it is doing anything or not.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 4:38am by batchman »  

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Sadly, this mod will not work here on boardmod, because any outbound communitcation from the webserver is blocked. Some kind of offline version of this mod would help though.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Hi Batchman,

batchman wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 3:31am:
A couple of questions ... how would one know if they had those modules installed or not?

I used this to get a list of modules installed:

http://webnet77.com/scripts/list-modules/index.html

Also, will the mod tell the admin about blocked attempts to register

It will show in the Error Log:

or testing purposes will we just have to notice if we are getting less spam-style registrations?

You can test it by trying to register on your forum with one of the usernames or email addresses here:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Administrator wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:01am:
Some kind of offline version of this mod would help though.

Hi Michael,

I don't think I'd even know where to start to go about doing that. Huh

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Administrator wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:01am:
Sadly, this mod will not work here on boardmod, because any outbound communitcation from the webserver is blocked. Some kind of offline version of this mod would help though.

Actually Michael, did you test it to see if it works or not?

I obviously don't fully understand the limits with your outbound communications being blocked, but there's no real communication going on - All it does is get an XML file using LWP::Simple, for example:

Code
Select All
    use LWP::Simple;

$check_reg_username = "http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?username=$member{'regusername'}";

$check_user = get($check_reg_username); 

And then reads the XML file using XML::Simple...

Edited:
Oh sorry, I see (I think) - it's still an outbound communication? Embarrassed

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
For an offline version we would have to download the complete spam database and run the checks directly from within YaBB. I don't think StopForumSpam allows to download their database though. Also the database would have to redownloaded manually over and over again to get updates.

By outbound communication I mean any connection started by the webserver. For example, when you access a webpage on the server, you initiate a connection and the server is allowed to answer to your request. But the webserver is not allowed to start a request itself, you always have to send a request to it before it is allowed to send a response. The ONLY exception to this is communication to the email server, which obviously is always outbound only.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Oh just noticed that it is indeed possible to download the database. Maybe this is an option after all. The "manual download" and reupload to the webserver could be done via a cron job on a local machine.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Thirty two blocked registrations today! I think this is causing more of them to show up, but they can't get anywhere!

I'm going to have to try and add this to my older forums!

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Administrator wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 3:30pm:
Oh just noticed that it is indeed possible to download the database. Maybe this is an option after all. The "manual download" and reupload to the webserver could be done via a cron job on a local machine.

Is that the .csv files you are looking at? To be honest, I have no experience whatsoever with cron jobs - I assume it would be something you would have to do specifically for BoardMod?

Administrator wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 2:58pm:
By outbound communication I mean any connection started by the webserver. For example, when you access a webpage on the server, you initiate a connection and the server is allowed to answer to your request. But the webserver is not allowed to start a request itself, you always have to send a request to it before it is allowed to send a response. The ONLY exception to this is communication to the email server, which obviously is always outbound only.

Ah, I've got you. Thanks for explaining.

batchman wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 4:00pm:
Thirty two blocked registrations today! I think this is causing more of them to show up, but they can't get anywhere!

I wouldn't have thought it would cause more of them to come to your forums - did you check the IP's to see if some of them are the same ones? Good to know it's working anyway.

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
All right, still a couple of dozen new registrations (spam registrations) on my other two forums, but my 2.5 forum that I used this mod on has not had a single registration in two days.

This mod seems to work a treat. Any of you want to do a registration just to make sure it isn't blocking registrations entirely? (I'm out of spare e-mail addresses to use.)

http://www.dreamscapewarriors.com/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl I think.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
batchman wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 6:58pm:
Any of you want to do a registration just to make sure it isn't blocking registrations entirely?

I've just registered with no problems. I guess you can delete that account now if you like - 'DB the 2nd'... Smiley

IP Logged

L_ith

A LoSt Dream~

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Derek,

any chance you make this for 2.4 YaBB ?

Please! or something like it?

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
It might be a good idea to optimize the mod so that it will only send one request per registration instead of three. You can do that like so:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?ip=91.186.18.61&email=g2fsehis5e@mail.ru

This will speed up the process and will also reduce the server load for stopforumspam.com.

Another good idea might be to use DNS queries instead of a full HTTP request. This reduces server load even more. You can find a very basic description here:
http://dnsbl.tornevall.org/index.php?do=usage

The Administrator.
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Derek ... saw the new member and said "Hey ... I know who that is."

Added a new private board this morning, and think I have it nicely hidden away where nobody can see it and it causes no troubles. Had to go get another of your abstract avatars for the board pic, though ... those just work so nicely for board pics on a dream forum!

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Michael,

First off, thank you very much for your feedback on this. I enjoy making simple Mods for YaBB, but will never be up to the standards of guys like yourself and Carsten, so I very much appreciate your input.

Administrator wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:11pm:
It might be a good idea to optimize the mod so that it will only send one request per registration instead of three. You can do that like so:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?ip=91.186.18.61&email=g2fsehis5e@mail.ru

Yep. I'll sort this out in the next day or so (one too many ciders right now). The main reason I did them separate originally was because I had planned on having an admin option to choose which fields should be checked - for example, usernames like 'berry' and 'test2' are in the database, so some admins might not want usernames checked - but in the scope of this mod and unless there's any other interest in doing that, then you're obviously right - I'll get onto it. That would mean only one error message too.

Administrator wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:11pm:
Another good idea might be to use DNS queries instead of a full HTTP request. This reduces server load even more. You can find a very basic description here:
http://dnsbl.tornevall.org/index.php?do=usage

I'll have a look at that Michael, but like I say, I'm not a expert at these things (just a small time YaBB hacker)... Smiley

L_ith wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:04pm:
Derek,

any chance you make this for 2.4 YaBB ?

Please! or something like it?

Hi L_ith,

It's only a two step Mod (and one of those is a language file), so I'm 99.999999999% sure that it will already work with 2.4.

batchman wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:53pm:
Had to go get another of your abstract avatars for the board pic, though ... those just work so nicely for board pics on a dream forum!

He he - I was thinking about those earlier on when I was over at your board, and how the purple template somehow seems to belong there. I think you deserve 'squatters rights' on them. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Send TopicPrint