Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Purple Noir for YaBB 2.5 (Read 18996 times)
Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Purple Noir for YaBB 2.5
Dec 2nd, 2010 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Purple Noir

Description:
----------------
Part of the 'Spectral Noir' set - This is a purple and black template based on the YaBB 2.5/2.4 templates.

Screenshot:
---------------

Demo:
http://ibrainstorm.net/modemos/forum/YaBB.pl

user: test
pass: modtester

I've installed ThM's Style Switcher Mod so you can flick through the templates from the top of the page - or from Profile => Options.

There's also a separate zip package attached to this post for anyone using Carsten's CSS Buttons Mod.

After you've installed CSS Buttons, all you need to do is upload the images directly to your 'yabbfiles/Buttons/' directory and then open 'css_buttons.txt' in a text editor and copy and paste the code into the PurpleNoir.css file.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2011 at 5:11am by Derek Barnstorm »  

PurpleNoir25.zip ( 396 KB | Downloads )
PurpleNoir_CSSButtons.zip ( 25 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Re: Purple Noir for YaBB 2.5
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 5:49am
Print Post  
You know something? I like this! Love the color (a rich purple has always been a popular color with me), and it still looks easy to read and uncluttered.

Nice to see some templates for the 2.5 series!

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 7:47am
Print Post  
I had a feeling that you'd like the purple for some reason. I wasn't too sure of it myself, I thought the gradient seemed a little flat. I think the blue and green are my favourites.

batchman wrote on Dec 3rd, 2010 at 5:49am:
Nice to see some templates for the 2.5 series!

Yeah, it's why I've been a bit quiet lately (it took me a while) - I've started templates before and never finished them, so I was determined to get these ones done. I can't say templating is my favourite thing to do, but I thought 2.5 was in desperate need of some.

I was planning on doing a light set too 'Spectral Blanc', but my eyes are still hurting from doing these... Smiley

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
You mentioned the gradient seems a little flat. If you are talking about something in the purple (or in the blue on the blue set) I'm a little confused, because I saw no gradients in use.

I like it in general, but spending some more time looking at it, I start feeling it needs a little more purple (or blue or red or whatever) on the topic page ... not a lot ... too much would be overkill, and over-saturate the things ... but the only purple is at the top and bottom of the page, and the individual posts blend too much together for me. I end up feeling like I need to see at least a small bit of color in between the posts to separate them.

But that may be just me ... I like them, but the posts blend together too much. Some very nice work, and much needed for this version.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
batchman wrote on Dec 3rd, 2010 at 1:23pm:
You mentioned the gradient seems a little flat. If you are talking about something in the purple (or in the blue on the blue set) I'm a little confused, because I saw no gradients in use.

Yep, all the colours are gradients, they're just quite subtle.

batchman wrote on Dec 3rd, 2010 at 1:23pm:
I like it in general, but spending some more time looking at it, I start feeling it needs a little more purple (or blue or red or whatever) on the topic page ... not a lot ... too much would be overkill, and over-saturate the things ... but the only purple is at the top and bottom of the page, and the individual posts blend too much together for me. I end up feeling like I need to see at least a small bit of color in between the posts to separate them.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the posts, but I think any more colour would ruin it myself (and I wouldn't know where to put it). I wanted them to be minimalistic really, and people can always tweak them to their personal tastes anyway.

If you've got any suggestions where it could be added, I could always try it out though...

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Don't know if it would work for anybody else, but I could see either a drop shadow kind of thing lake Carsten was doing or a simple horizontal rule across part of the screen between posts ... not much, just a half point or point line between the posts ... not adding too much more, but the slight breadth of color between the posts.

My guess would be something like 75% of the width, but who knows, might ever work with something like 5 or 10% long, just a little inch wide blip or something.

And maybe I'm wrong entirely and it would look horrid or something. I dunno.

But that red one will really grab your eyeballs, and bounce them around a bit, eh?

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Okay, I'll have to have a bit of a play about.

I've added a horizontal rule to the Red Noir template for now if you want to check it out - You'll probably have to refresh your browser or clear your cache to see the effect.

Not too sure if I like it myself though... I don't know...

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I'll check it out. While I feel a touch more color is needed, I also agree that it would take very little to make it too much.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking of, but not as wide for the rule. You know something? I'm going to have to think about maybe using one of these for my new dream forum ... I do keep liking the look.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Okay, I've made it 75% now, what do you think? I've also tried another idea in the Yellow Noir template, but I think I prefer the horizontal rule...

batchman wrote on Dec 4th, 2010 at 9:33pm:
You know something? I'm going to have to think about maybe using one of these for my new dream forum ... I do keep liking the look.

Cool. You could even use a nice dreamy background image instead of the gradient...

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Thinking of doing the name the same way you did that YaBB, but the outline being rainbow colored, rather than gray. Might work nicely ... no matter which color of template might be used.

Don't know about dreamy background images, though ... probably depend on if I could ever come up with one.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
I do quite like the lines now, I think they could work quite well...

batchman wrote on Dec 4th, 2010 at 10:01pm:
Thinking of doing the name the same way you did that YaBB, but the outline being rainbow colored, rather than gray. Might work nicely ... no matter which color of template might be used.

Sounds good.

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Have to find my really old version of photoshop and install it, make use of the masking effects on a gradient background to do that. Wonder where that disk is .... ?Haven't used it for a while.

But I think that could work quite nicely.

Um ... sorry for hijacking your template thread with this stuff! Embarrassed

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
batchman wrote on Dec 4th, 2010 at 10:15pm:
Have to find my really old version of photoshop and install it, make use of the masking effects on a gradient background to do that. Wonder where that disk is .... ?Haven't used it for a while.

You can download a trial version from their website, so you can use it free for something like 30 days - enough time to do a logo anyway...

batchman wrote on Dec 4th, 2010 at 10:15pm:
Um ... sorry for hijacking your template thread with this stuff! Embarrassed

Don't be sorry at all. I really appreciate the feedback... thank you! Smiley

IP Logged

ThM
God Member

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 9:02am
Print Post  
I like the templates derek ..... Great work .....

Maybe you can use the template switcher mod, so the user can switch all the templates without login  Wink

Greeting ThM

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Or one of you could make a mod for the mod which adds the little bit for the switcher drop down, if so desired.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint