Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shoutbox 5.5 for YaBB 2.4 (Read 80054 times)
Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Re: Shoutbox 5.5 for YaBB 2.4
Reply #75 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Hi DOT-COM,

D0T-C0M wrote on Mar 6th, 2010 at 12:50pm:
In forums with "Auto-link URLs? " disabled, if a user copies the url and pastes to his browser does the link with a linebreaked URL still work? With "Auto-link URLs? " enabled does the link work?

Just tested this and when 'Auto-link URLs?' is disabled the link doesn't wrap anyway - this is how it's handled when making normal posts. To test, make a post with a URL with more than 80 characters - when enabled it cuts off as it should, but when disabled you get the full URL. But, yes, when enabled the link does work.

D0T-C0M wrote on Mar 6th, 2010 at 12:50pm:
I can live with a manual setting for linebreak but I suggest it would be easier for the average user if you just set the linebreak variable to whatever the admin determines the width of the shoutbox to be?

For example,  If the user chooses 400 for the shoutbox width than make the line break at
$linewrap= $shout_width - (width of the vertical scrollbar if used + width of margins).

It's a nice thought, but I personally think it's best to do it the way that ThM already has - reason being is that 400px isn't as wide as 400 characters (also depending on the character and font size) - if that makes sense...
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2010 at 10:23pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #76 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Mar 6th, 2010 at 5:59pm:
It's a nice thought, but I personally think it's best to do it the way that ThM already has - reason being is that 400px isn't as wide as 400 characters (also depending on the character and font size) - if that makes sense...

I guess I can live with the the manual setting on this.  Anyways regardless I just wanted a way to break long lines of text/url that contain no spaces.

Just tested this and when 'Auto-link URLs?' is disabled the link doesn't wrap anyway - this is how it's handled when making normal posts.

This is the problem I am having. I have this setting turn to disabled. So you are saying even with this new linebreak code it still won't wrap in this case?

IP Logged

ThM
God Member

Reply #77 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I don't know if i understand all, but when i disabled this option:

Quote:
Auto-link URLs?

and post a link in the shoutbox window i have a linebreak.

Edited:
A new version with some small changes and a linebreak setting is comming soon.

lb.PNG ( 8 KB | Downloads )
lb.PNG

Greeting ThM

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #78 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure that's just wrapping itself to the width of the ShoutBox though, and not through the actual line wrap feature.

Test it with a ridiculously long URL like this that has nowhere to naturally break...

http://thisisaridiculouslylongurlthatshouldruinthelayoutoftheshoutbox.com

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #79 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Sorry DOT-COM, I've only just noticed your post...

D0T-C0M wrote on Mar 9th, 2010 at 12:21pm:
Just tested this and when 'Auto-link URLs?' is disabled the link doesn't wrap anyway - this is how it's handled when making normal posts.

This is the problem I am having. I have this setting turn to disabled. So you are saying even with this new linebreak code it still won't wrap in this case?

Yes, that seems to be the case. There was already a line wrap/break for URLs built into the ShoutBox, but it didn't work because the variable was named wrong. That worked by splitting the URL with spaces like this:

Code
Select All
http://thisisa ridiculouslylo ngurlthatshoul druinthelayout oftheshoutbox.com 

And that did work when 'Auto-link URLs?' was disabled, but I think the way that ThM is doing it now looks and works much better apart from that one problem.

There has got to be a simple fix for it, but I'm not too sure of the best way right now...

Edited:
If you do want to see how the old line wrap worked...

Find this in ShoutDisplay.pl:

Code
Select All
sub my_wrap3 {
	$shout_message =~ s~(<.*>)*(\S{0,14})(\S{0,14})?(\S{0,14})?(\S{0,14})?(\S*)?(<.*>)*~$1$2 $3 $4 $5 $6$7~gi;
	$shout_message =~ s~(<.*>)?(\S{0,14})(\S{0,14})?(\S{0,14})?(\S{0,14})?(\S*)(<\/\S*>)~$1$2 $3 $4 $5 $6$7~gi;
	$shout_message =~ s~\s+~ ~gi;
} 

And replace with this:

Code
Select All
sub my_wrap3 {
	$message =~ s~(<.*>)*(\S{0,14})(\S{0,14})?(\S{0,14})?(\S{0,14})?(\S*)?(<.*>)*~$1$2 $3 $4 $5 $6$7~gi;
	$message =~ s~(<.*>)?(\S{0,14})(\S{0,14})?(\S{0,14})?(\S{0,14})?(\S*)(<\/\S*>)~$1$2 $3 $4 $5 $6$7~gi;
	$message =~ s~\s+~ ~gi;
} 

Just in case you're interested.

IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #80 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
ThM wrote on Mar 9th, 2010 at 4:14pm:
I don't know if i understand all, but when i disabled this option:

Code
Select All
Auto-link URLs? 

and post a link in the shoutbox window i have a linebreak.

ThM the link you posted had a hyphen (-) and naturally it broke the line there.  Try an ebay link or something link that.

IP Logged

kigiin

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #81 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Will this mod work on v2.5ae ? If not, is someone working on upgrading it?

IP Logged

ThM
God Member

Reply #82 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
kigiin wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 7:19am:
Will this mod work on v2.5ae 

Yes, but I plan to upgrade.

I don't like the actually shoutbox display position in the info-center. I am of the opinion that the area of the Info Center is too crowded because many other mods also use this position. I think it's better to place the Shoutbox to the top of the forum like in my board. Maybe I put two templates available for installation. But it takes a little longer.

Greeting ThM

IP Logged

kigiin

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #83 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks ThM
I saw your link and that really looks like a good solution ... I could use something like that! Any idea how long before that mod is available?
I'm still constructing my board and this is one mod I need.
I would appreciate a heads-up on a possible time frame.
In the mean time I'll be chomping at my bit.
Smiley

IP Logged

ThM
God Member

Reply #84 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 10:38am
Print Post  
kigiin wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:33pm:
Any idea how long before that mod is available? 

Hmm, don't know. Maybe at the end from the month. Currently I try a few things.  Wink

Greeting ThM

IP Logged

kigiin

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #85 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
ThM
Sounds great. I'll definitely keep my eye on here in anxious anticipation of the upgrade. I for one will appreciate the hard work you're putting into it.
Rockon my friend  Smiley

IP Logged

kigiin

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #86 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 7:56am
Print Post  
I installed the mod and it works great on v2,5.
Only problem I have found is that the members name (in white) is difficult to see with the light background.
Is there a way to change the font color of the member so it will be better seen ... or maybe the Shout container line colors?
I certainly would appreciate any help in this matter.
Thanks.

IP Logged

Johan73

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #87 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Bug report

I installed the mod last week on my forum (version 2.4) with a self-made Dutch language file and it works like a charm. Thanks! My members can now chat mindlessly without having to use the forum.  Smiley

Today however, the shoutbox got broken after a joker member posted three messages in a row with just a few words and a lot of final stops (according to him to to use up his 500 characters).  Roll Eyes

The message went something like: "I .................................know".

After he posted three of those messages in a row, the shoutbox went down (just a gray window, no error message) and could only be restored by deleting those three messages in the admin.

Just wanted to inform you about this. Maybe you can implement a fix for this kind of excessive nonsense posts so that they won't get posted or at least don't crash the shoutbox?

IP Logged

Sara Myrphy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #88 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 9:21am
Print Post  
If you are upgrading from YaBB 2.1 or later, you will install a completely new version of YaBB 2.3.1 forum and then import all your old forum's data.

and

Go to the Install section of this Quick Guide and follow all steps up to and including "Step 4 - Setting Up". Stop after you has done point 5 (which has you run the Setup program on the new forum).

IP Logged

MasterKarman

YaBB 2.5.2

Reply #89 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I'm having a strange problem and any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

- I've been using the shoutbox since YaBB2.4, installed and working with no problems.
- Installed to YaBB2.5AE with boardmod (just a couple of tweaks to get it to work) uploads and works just fine.
- Installed to YaBB2.5.2 with boardmod (again just a couple of tweaks to get it to work) uploads and it throws a 500 internal error.

I double, triple, quadruple checked all the file permissions.
Uninstalled, reinstalled, rechecked file permissions, etc.
I even went as far as to change all of the YaBB2.5.2 file permissions to match the YaBB2.5AE file permissions and it still throws the 500 error.

I know it's not my host because I have a YaBB2.5AE installed on it using the shoutbox. What could be causing this?

Frusterated Karman

Now using YaBB 2.5.2 with 40+mods
"The world is a dangerous place to live. Not because of the evil in it, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint