Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ratings mod issue (Read 5456 times)
batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Ratings mod issue
Jan 30th, 2009 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
I am putting this here so that I know it will not be deleted immediately.

In one sense it is airing a personal grievence in public, but in another sense it is trying to get an answer to a simple question.

Carsten wrote a great ratings mod, and eventually ran out of time to keep it updated. Jet Li eventually got permission to update it, and did a version for 2.0 or 2.1. Great stuff, as far as it goes. The last work on that mod came about almost 2 years ago in February of '07.

Jet Li also got permission to update a lot of other people's mods. And a few months ago, he started having issues with another member who had updated a mod that Jet Li had already been working on. Jet Li was very upset about this.

I wanted to avoid this kind of an issue. So I sent a PM to Jet Li, asking him if he were still involved with the Ratings mod, so that if he was, I would stay away from it. If he wasn't, I would ask Carsten if I could attempt to do an update from 2.0/2.1 to 2.3.

In response to my query, Jet Li did not say whether he was still working on the Ratings mod at all. He just said he was tired of being bugged by PMs about mods and updates, and because of me, he was no longer going to allow anybody to PM him. Now it is a free world, and he has a right to say he won't let people PM him ... but isn't this rather an extreme reaction to somebody who was trying to AVOID having problems with him?

Isn't it understandable if it has been more than two years, and a couple of version numbers since a mod was last seen, that somebody might want to ask if they might be able to update that mod?

And no offense, but one assumes Carsten let Jet Li work on this mod because Carsten either did not have the time or the interest to continue the work, himself. If Jet Li has not had the time to do anything with this in two years, and multiple versions of YaBB since then (the entire 2.2 series, and 2.3), perhaps it is time to set it free, just like Carsten did in the first place. Perhaps it is time to do the same for a number of other mods.

Or at least provide a way for people to know what projects are still under his control, and are being worked on ... even if there is no idea when they might be released.

I am probably going to make some enemies here, and I really regret that, but it is very frustrating to have my head chewed off by someone for trying to avoid having problems with them.

Sorry. Rant over. Anybody else have any thoughts ... other than about what a jerk I am?

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

laurin31135

I love YaBB 2.2.3

Re: Ratings mod issue
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Well, I don't really know what is going on, biut I can just see it as an overreaction as well.

I think, that Jeff has planned to do a lot (all those mods, the language versions, the support in Yabbforum.com, Xonders Support forum, his own forum and the stress with the mod for payment) and that in his eyes everything needs to be done very fast. And he things he is even  pushed more by some people of us as well.

Even, when I was just asking for something about a mod (the mouseover-thing in WhoViewed_V1_x-yabb23x) , I could imagine from his reaction, that he was stressed.

Maybe we should all leave him alone for some time.

IP Logged

deti

YaBB is the best!!!

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
My personal opinion to this is, that everyone can make the Mods he wants and can release it whenever he wants, even with the same name as the a Mod of someone else with the same functions. Of course the title should be in some way different to see the difference. Ex: ..... - by batchman

Competition is always good to make things better! At the end the best code will win the race! Wink

Was immer Du tun kannst
oder erträumst tun zu können,
beginne es.
Kühnheit besitzt Genie,
Macht und magische Kraft.
Beginne es jetzt.
Whatever you can do
or dream you can,
begin it.
Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
Begin it now.
Johann Wolfgang Goethe

IP Logged

Jeff
God Member

There are no bugs there
are only features

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 9:48am
Print Post  
@batchman
why I have not time until now to make 2.1 mods for 2.3.x? Think about it.

1. I get xx of pms/emails every day and i was busy block it on my ignorelist on my server. If user not stoping with it, I never have time to make mods instead sending pms/emails.

2. Now I stop send pms/emails and make my mods every day a little and should be release some days/weeks, if no user keep me busy to send pms/emails. That not fair if user keep my for make mods away that I working on it!

3. That reason was too, that I wait for lastest 2.3.x Series to make mods for it. Last Version mean more time for make mods.

4. Why you guys always keep only me busy with sending pm/emails instead let me making mods? I am not only one with not upodate mods from 2.0/2.1! Do you keep other modwriters busy with spamming pm/mails every day too??

greetings
Jeff
IP Logged

laurin31135

I love YaBB 2.2.3

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 9:48am:
4. Why you guys always keep only me busy with sending pm/emails instead let me making mods? I am not only one with not upodate mods from 2.0/2.1! Do you keep other modwriters busy with spamming pm/mails every day too??

Of course we do (or at least I do), but all the others are not working at so many mods as you do, and because of that, we are not expecting so many mods of them as well.  Wink

I am sorry for disturbing you! And as I have mentioned in my first posting here, I think we should just give you a break!

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I have a suggestion. It might help lessen the load a little, it might not ... but it couldn't much hurt.

How about a thread in the 2.3 mod board (you could sticky it for easy access), just listing all the mods that you are working on, with a note about how the more you are disturbed about them, the longer it will take.

Its just there has been nothing on the Ratings mod for almost two years (since Feb 2007), not even one of your "Working on it ... patience, please!" notes.

I just wanted to avoid the anger and conflict that came about with the Who is Where mod, and somebody else trying to update it and post it. I just wanted to find out if you were going to do it, or if you no longer had any interest in that mod.

I realise you probably think I'm a jerk at this point, but I really was trying to avoid giving you problems.

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Jet-Li While I totally understand your frustration, you have to understand at least from the average member here that we have no clue as to your intentions on any given mod except for the occasional "be patient" comment.  I don't remember ever emailing or PMing you but I can also fully understand why a member would contact you regarding an update or permission to update a mod etc...

As far as all those members PMing you,  I think you would have a lot less emails/PMs if you wrote a blog or something indicating the mods you are going to or will work on and updates on those you are presently working on.

As a final note, Maybe a vacation or some time off might due some good.  You seem frustrated and have lost the pleasure somewhat working on this project which has become "work" to you.  When a hobby starts feeling like a job and all the pressure that come with it then its time to take a break. The overwhelming workload you have taken upon yourself is certainly not helping.

Best Regards and take care my friend.
DC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint