Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Here's my feedback on boardmod (Read 5880 times)
suprra_girl

I Love YaBB 2!

Here's my feedback on boardmod
Jan 20th, 2009 at 8:39am
Print Post  
ITS BROKEN

EDIT: I should probably mention, i'm most likely the broken one LOL. As per my user title "bloody useless" haha
I've left the problem I had below just in case someone had similar results and managed to fix it and can enlighten me as to where I went wrong.

I'll expand on what I did exactly also.

I've tried two mods with exactly the same results

NO MODS INSTALLED

I uploaded with dreamweaver, heard maybe that won't work, k apparently cpanel works ok tho, try that, nope, download filezilla change to ascII mode and still same thing.

First mod I tried:
Registration confirmation email.

Downloaded the zip
Extracted
Noticed folders with extra files, and uploaded to same directories
Opened boardmod
Set path to yabb/yabb.pl (i think that was the name) in the main folder
Put the mod into the 2.1 folder
Reopened boardmod and mod appears to the right unchecked
Click the checkbox and the first time I did it, says successful or modified or whatever it says
In the drop down box it mentions 12 files that needed to be edited
Took note of said files and uploaded with dreamweaver cs3
Open forum
Go to admin cp
Click on install mods
No installed mods

This was done at my mates house.

Came home, downloaded boardmod to attempt again
This time when boardmod tried to edit the files automatically it came up with errors like "maybe spaces aren't there" or something similar, I can't recall now.

And thats when I toasted the idea and upgraded to 2.3.1 lol

I hope this is much better explained and maybe someone knows what went wrong, maybe not lol

It's not important now of course as 2.3.1 has this built in.

I apologise for my rude behaviour to all.
To be honest, I've never ranted like that before on a forum lol.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2009 at 2:24pm by suprra_girl »  

IP Logged

suprra_girl

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Here's my feedback on boardmod
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
well i've now bitten the bullet and upgraded to 2.3.1, hopefully I have more joy with this stuff.

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
The program works.

The user may need to learn a little bit.  Roll Eyes

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

suprra_girl

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:49am
Print Post  
You can roll your eyes as much as you like, I've posted with regards to my problems and no one knows what to do, I'm assuming they have no idea due to no response.

I've asked politely and still I have not had a response.

What I was trying to get boardmod to do appears to be in the 2.3 version hence I updated.

I followed all instructions to the tee and I have no idea what went wrong.

But yabb 2.3 is much better than 2.1 so i'm happy with it.

I can only think some transfer somewhere went wrong or something along those lines.

But I don't need those mods now as 2.3 has it built in.

But thanks for your helpful reply, I saw that you "the learned one" obviously went into my threads to have a look and see what was happening and posted to help me out, you know the thread right below this one.

But 2.3.1 has all I need so I'm good, cheers

IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:52am
Print Post  
All board mod does is install mods. If something does not right it is the mod's fault or your own. When you apply a mod you must upload all edited files to the website. If the mod does not edit the modlist.pl or parts of the admin center, then you will not see the mod there. That does not mean it is not working.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Actually, I should apologize ... I did not go into enough detail. It is theoretically possible that you have some very odd and unusual configuration of computer that BoardMod will not work with. But the odds are about 1/10000 that such is the case, and 9999/10000 that the program is working absolutely properly, and that the problem lies elsewhere.

I cannot program. I could not write a mod from scratch to save my life. Nor could I write the program that uses the mods.

But in time I have learned to use Boardmod.

I have now been modding my forums for something like 5 or 6 years, and I don't think I have ever seen Boardmod fail to do its job.

At times I have uploaded the wrong files.

At times I have tried to use mods which had errors in them.

At times I have wished Boardmod would do more things than it does.

I never said the program (and for that matter, YaBB itself and the whole modding process) didn't have a learning curve.

It took me several months and lots of having to start again from scratch to get really proficient with all that is involved in modding the forum. I am not trying to be mean or insulting ... but the post I am responding to was very negative, and pretty much just stated the program didn't work.

And such is almost certainly not the case. Boardmod doesn't do much, but what it does, it does pretty darn well. Whether the user understands the entire process fully, and all the things to upload, the proper ways to upload them, and so on, does not impact that the program works, and works well.

I know. I learned over time, every time I screwed up, and tried to blame the program. I think I recall one specific release of Boardmod that had a small bug in it ... it was discovered and quickly fixed.

Boardmod is small, and simple, and extremely stable.

YaBB is a very large, involved, complicated program with a multitude of .pl file parts which has to be uploaded in a very specific manner, and set up in a very specific manner. Those same details also apply to the uploading and installing of all the mods.

All the right parts have to be uploaded properly as ASCII or binary, new bits have to be CHMODed correctly. All files modified by BoardMod have to be uploaded. The right mod versions have to be used for the right version of YaBB (and that can be more confusing that you might think, at first glance). The mods must be correct. They either must not conflict with previous mods, or must be tweaked to work with other mods, so that they install successfully ... if any of these are not done just right, then you won't end up with a successful installation ... yet none of the issues listed above would mean that Boardmod itself did not work.

All Boardmod does is look for particular files where you tell it to look, and then try to make changes listed in a mod file. If the files are as and where they should be, and the mod file is correct. Boardmod will do its job quickly and efficiently (at least for the most part ... it gets a little slow once in a while.)

Its not that I am saying the modding you tried to do worked for you ... I am just saying that the problem is not with Boardmod, itself. If Boardmod, itself, did not work, probably about 90% of us on this board would be running the exact same forum right out of the box.

Not trying to attack or be mean, just trying to correct an almost certainly incorrect statement ... that Boardmod did not work. The modding may not have worked (the overall process), but the fault was not with the small, simple program Boardmod.

Sorry to have ticked you off ... wasn't my intention.

IP Logged

suprra_girl

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks batchman, I think it's gonna take me a whole lotta time to understand and use this cgi, css and perl business lol.

Thanks for putting up with me Wink

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks for forgiving me for my less than helpful response earlier.

It takes some getting used to.

You can spend a lot of time opening files in notebook or something similar to see what the code is, to try and find out why it is having problems with it.

On the 2.3.1 version, there is a bit less of this, as the mod writers are getting better and better at finding ways to stick the mods in places where other mods don't interfere with them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint