Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mods for Money (Read 60812 times)
Jeff
God Member

There are no bugs there
are only features

Re: Mods for Money
Reply #60 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
mick wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:37pm:
Nobody of them are People that only take and don't give some-
thing!

That I believe.

ha you are wrong, i have some user they email/pm me for installing mods or a forum and want paying me, user want and not a must.  Wink That user that i support is a newbie or a business user.

I not saying must pay for install, but they want it to do.

What if a user want you to install and he want give you little donation for it? Ignore? Then this user not really happy with it. If user want, then we accept this. This happen often to me. And I have to accept it.

greetings
Jeff
IP Logged

multikon

Hakuna Matata

Reply #61 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hallo Herr Mick
verbringen wir nicht alle hier viel zeit  und helfen dem einen oder andere mit support fragen....

ich werde hier nicht mehr schreiben den so was regt mich auf 

wie kann man den so geizig sein http://www.meine-hunde.de/Tierforum/Templates/Forum/default/lipsrsealed.gif

na bleib ma aufm Teppich ..

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum

beware ... yabb goes wbb ^^

Francesco

I love YaBB 2,3

Reply #62 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
HAllo multikon
ich bin immer auf dem tepich  Wink

Habe beide Foren YaBB 2,1 mit wiw
und YaBB 2,3 mit WIW
und es ist nicht das gleiche wer es noch nicht hat sollte sich erst mal ein bild selber machen und die Arbeit zu schätzen wiessen

IP Logged

mick

I love YaBB

Reply #63 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
ha you are wrong, i have some user they email/pm me for installing mods or a forum and want paying me, user want and not a must.  Wink

I think you don't understand me. Maybe, because of my
english. I mean the People, that posted here in this
thread.

IP Logged

LWS

seek and ye shall find...i
must be BLIND!!

Reply #64 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 1:59am
Print Post  
I should have popped some popcorn b4 i started reading this lol.

LoneWebSurfer.com Nothing but YaBB templates
IP Logged

JonB

Gee I don't know

Reply #65 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 2:40am
Print Post  
All the devs and support folks should be able to receive compensation for services they provide outside the scope of answering questions on the Forum or writing code.

Some folks want setup, install mods, conversions upgrades etc.  many just can't do it or don't have the time. I have recommended that to folks, and I think that kind of activity is totally in the spirit of Open Source.

In fact I thik thats the way 'business' support should be done. I don't think volunteers should be a substitute for having an IT staff or adequate knowledge to undertake business projects.

Smiley

IP Logged

Captain John

Pass to Port !

Reply #66 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Pay for Support (or Coding) above and beyond usually has been in the format of Donations to the Host.  Anytime users have "offered" compensation ... Most request the user to Donate to either YaBB (Corey) or maybe their own charity ,,,,,
   If this Pay for MOD thing is the future .. Corey should get a piece (percentage) of ALL monies ... He provides the Server space, domains, software and support that allows the YaBB Chat and Support Community AND BoardMOD.org to exist.

Love to live and love on the water

IP Logged

chillipepper

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #67 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
@ jet li and deti..I looked at your wiw mod on yr test forum and worked great so big congratts on a well done job..  (Shame about the $$$ tag)

Now back to this issue (mods for money) As i was one that would of like to see this mod on my board,am abit gutted about $$ as i dont run a forum to make $$$, I run forum for an hobby and forum others to enjoy,so as for payin $$ for mods will be a no go as i dont make any money.
Havin said that i also understand that some coders might want to make $$$ from there mods and this is something i will have to live with..as for coders postin $$ for mods..well thats is upto boardmod owner.i must say i would'nt like to see such post but again its not up to me.and this is just my veiw and by the sounds of it afew others feel the same..

The big particual issue am havin a big probs with is the history of this who is where mod. From what i have been readin from other treads that it was last made by Xonder in 2.1 and as well all know xonder as let jet li do all his mods UPDATES
YES the word here is UPDATES.. meaning inport when get time into other ver of yabb..this as not happen with alot of some old mods..we do understand that jet li is very busy and i for one do respect him and all yabb team and all modders and so on..

@deti   you posted why havnt no one updated the who is where mod..well take a look at some old post where some coders have wanted to update afew mods but only can be done by jet li..
1 tread comes to mine here..in the (lack of mod support tread)
in there you will see the 1 codder was willin to update afew mods
Eagle_90 posted he will try and update afew mods which 1 happeneds to be the who is where mod..and jet li posted the he will be UPDATE xonders mods..look (UPDATE) is the key word here..
But from what (deti) have posted in this tread says now anyone can update xonder who is where mod..This dont sound right to me..how can jet li say no one is to update xonder mods and now deti say feel free to update..is it now break the rule becasue money for mods..am not sure what this trend will do to boardmod or yabb but i for 1 think there should be a code for all to follow and not break becasue of $$$..

IP Logged

ThM
God Member

Reply #68 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:36am
Print Post  
It was nice to hear a opinion of the best modwriters as know as  ron spikecity, carsten, mf-b, James Andrews (and certainly many, many more) belongs to.

Greeting ThM

IP Logged

jfk

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #69 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Quote:
  If this Pay for MOD thing is the future .. Corey should get a piece (percentage) of ALL monies ... He provides the Server space, domains, software and support that allows the YaBB Chat and Support Community AND BoardMOD.org to exist.

Well said Captain  Wink

I would have gone for this mod on my forum, but at £34 sterling  Shocked

£34 will host my entire forum for over half of the year (and host it well at that, without restriction, loss of service, etc, etc) or it would pay for one mod  ???

I hope this isn't the start of a new trend as YaBB will be the loser in the end, and that will be a very sad day considering all the time and effort that has been put in to making it the great software it is today!

JFK

My YaBB forum can be found at www.Rabbiters.co.uk

IP Logged

laurin31135

I love YaBB 2.2.3

Reply #70 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Hi folks!

First of all I have to admit, that I was surprised to see a Mod for payment for YaBB. But honestly speaking I can not understand all that problem with it.

I really think that we are living in a world, where money is spent on a lot of rubbish things and if sth is worth ist, we should pay for it.

This is not a community of people having all the same knowledge. And some people give a lot by programming, testing and supporting others, who are not able to do anything. Some of those, who are not able to do anything will just complain and might even steal ideas.

I definetely belong to those, who are not able to do anything for you.

So, it is just the normal way, that those, who have got sth to give, which is wanted by others, ask for payment and if it is worth it, they will get that payment.

Nobody is forced to buy a mod and YaBB is working very well without those mods, too. Step by step a lot of those mods were even built-ins of YaBB.

And if people are willing to pay for a beta-version (not a final release) it is their problem, too.

Probably that mod might improve by that payment, because those modders are able to spend more time to develop it and it will be offered with more features soon. (I don't know, which features can still be asked for, but everything is possible  Grin)

IP Logged

Carsten
God Member

...to much YaMS

Reply #71 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
I'm in a state of shock!

The hard part of making modifications is to bring an idea to the next level by coding a mod and implementing it into YaBB. What we have here is two guys taking another mod authors idea - do a little code handling - and then selling it for their own profit. That is not only sad - that is pathetic - and a serious violation of the good old hacker spirit that has always been normal practice here on BoardMod.

Another issue. Why was the "wiw" topic in the 2.3 mod board not removed the same way any other topic advertising for commercial products are? Are commercial companies now allowed to advertice for their products on BoardMod? What is the next step? That commercial people should pay for advertising and then expect special treatment and favours? That would most certently be the beginning of the end for free modding here - and for my part it would be the day that i would leave BoardMod for good.

If you knock your head against a brick wall and hear a hollow sound, it's not necessarily coming from the wall.

IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #72 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
AGREED.  I have no problems requesting someone for a mod and offering money for it. I have done that in the past.  I have no problem giving a donation to people that have clearly invested much time towards developing mods for the community.

As much as I really appreciate Jet-Li's commitment and support here and to the YaBB project, if accepted, the creation of mods for payment will IMO mark the end of YaBB as we know it.  I don't make any money hosting my forum so I am sure that many others like me will not be able to pay $50 or even $10 a pop for each mod that we have installed.  I will be forced to use an older version of YaBB for ever if this is the case or to switch and leave the community for something else. I believe this will be detrimental to the community. if this is allowed, modders will ask themselves, why am I creating these mods for free when others are and are willing to sell them for profit. Soon mods will be 80% for $$$ and 20% for free and people who can't afford the prices to get the "more sofisticated" mods will be left behind.  I believe as a whole this goes against the spirit this community but I am only one voice.

Can someone clarify, if mods have to be release under the same license as YaBB and therefore the license states that it can be shared with others.  So does this mean someone can pay for a non-free mod and then freely share it with others?  If this is true then how can this WiW payment structure work?  It would seem the donations would be the best way to go.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2009 at 10:43pm by D0T-C0M »  

IP Logged

TRoN

...against the MCP!

Reply #73 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Good bye good old YaBB Mod community...

.-== Sapere Aude! ==-.
|_TRoN_| @ digital-joker.de/forum
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #74 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Now let's not go too far here ....

So far there has been a single mod in the entire forum released for pay. And while I don't like it, there were some specific circumstances around it. Response has been mostly negative to the concept, and they have not announced any specific plans to release any more pay mods.

I don't like it, but I'm sure not ready to chuck it in over a single mod. Maybe we'll be lucky, and it will be the only pay mod ever for YaBB. Now if it starts a trend, on the other hand ....

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint