Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Quiz Mod 2.3/2.3.1 beta 0.5a (Read 39115 times)
batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Quiz Mod 2.3/2.3.1 beta 0.5a
Nov 30th, 2008 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
This is the Quiz mod, originally by Phyron, later updated by Whisper68. Carsten ported it to 2.1 and added much functionality.

It allows your members to create multiple choice quizzes, then release them for other members to take the quizzes. it keeps a high score list, allows for the use of a timer, and has some pretty good coding built in to make it much harder to cheat. (Thanks, Carsten!)

Mod History

01/24/2009 -- No version change. Minor updates to Quiz.pl to prevent duplicate breadcrumb issue ... thanks to Derek Barnstorm for the corrections! Just upload new Quiz.pl file, no need to uninstall and reinstall the mod itself.

01/17/2009 -- No version change. Added a YaMMS compatible mod file for those who are adding this mod after YaMMS. Otherwise no changes.

01/04/09 -- beta 0.5, this would have worked with 2.3.1 without any updates, but I made a couple of minor corrections that wouldn't affect operating, and added in Carsten's easy tab update method. And minor correction to that file now in zip package.

12/07/08 -- beta 0.2, added Jet Li's language files to main zip and corrected small layout issue.

11/??/08 -- beta 0.1, updated to run with YaBB 2.3, no other changes.

I updated it to 2.3, and added no functionality. It was just tweaked to be able to install. All credit goes to earlier mod creators. Thanks to Jet Li for info on how to add it to the tabs for 2.3 style templates.

It has worked on two 2.3 forums for me, and has been tested by a couple of others. It seems to work decently.

For a demo, visit my science fiction board. You can find it in the link in my signature. (You can see some of the mod as a guest, but to take quizzes or create one, you will have to register for an account.)

I am releasing this mod because I have sent Carsten four e-mails over two months, and have not heard back from him. Therefore, by the general policies BoardMod follows, and my attempts to contact, I am releasing the update. If Carsten wishes to return and take this up again, he is more than welcome, and I would be overjoyed to see my favorate mod writer return.

If people run into problems, I will do my best to figure out how to fix them, but I am not a coder and do not know how to program perl, so I will not be adding any new features.

If anybody wants new features, the only way they will come to be is if somebody else takes up the ball and codes them.

Personally, I would love to see the ability to do a couple other kinds of questions ... fill in the blank, and word scramble. I wouldn't think either would be terribly difficult, but I don't know how to do it myself.

Try it out, see if you like it, and report any problems! If corrections are needed, I may add in some tweaks which don't affect performance, but match it more closely to current YaBB coding styles. As far as I can tell, this works fine, right now.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2009 at 9:05pm by batchman »  

quiz_05a_yabb23_231.zip ( 38 KB | Downloads )

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

Jeff
God Member

There are no bugs there
are only features

Re: Quiz Mod 2.3 beta 0.1
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Hi
attached German Pack for this mod.

Quiz-Germanpacks.zip ( 4 KB | Downloads )

greetings
Jeff
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 5:56am
Print Post  
Thanks, Jet Li!

IP Logged

Jeff
God Member

There are no bugs there
are only features

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 5:57am
Print Post  
No Problem.  Wink

greetings
Jeff
IP Logged

ccarr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Batchman

I installed this mod in v2.1 just before I upgraded to v2.2. It was great and would have continued to use it when I moved up to v2.2 but I failed to patch it up the way and just gave up trying.

For now I still use v2.2 and tonight I had a go at patching your v2.3 mod down to my v2.2 mod and the original created quizzes burst back into life so I want to say a big thanks to you for posting the mod up date and of course to Carsten for the great original mod.

8) 8) 8) 8)

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
You're welcome ... this was always the must have mod for me, which is why I begged Carsten to update it to 2.1, then worked out how to update it to 2.3.

Seems to work fine.

IP Logged

ccarr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Hi Batchman

Wonder if you can advise? I have setup my forum in frames (Possibly Irrelevant) however, in Firefox the text for the YaBB copyright is floating on the right of the page with the quiz tables on the left. If I reduce the size of the window the copyright drops beneath the quiz tables.

In Internet Explorer the quiz table extends 100% over the page with copyright text below.

As normal, it will be some editing that I have done in the past else where that is possibly causing the problem. Have you any idea where I can look for the cause. I have tried several things with no success.

Here is the relevant quiz frame without the other menu frames etc.

http://www.HopeCentreBurundi.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?action=quiz

It's not a problem if you have no suggestions to offer.

Many Thanks

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
God Member

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I've noticed this too... This seems to fix it...

Find this line in Quiz.pl

Code
Select All
	<div class="bordercolor" style="float: left; margin-bottom: 8px;"> 

And get rid of 'float: left;' ... So just replace that line with this:

Code
Select All
	<div class="bordercolor" style="margin-bottom: 8px;"> 

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Yes, the quiz mod's display is large enough that I don't see any reason to have it sharing stuff with the other.

Will update that little bit and get a new file up in the first post later today. Maybe I'll even include a couple of screen shots.

IP Logged

ccarr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
That's it gents. Perfect.  8)

I thought it was float related but there was one too many "floats" on that page for me to know where to begin.

Thanks Derek. You came to the rescue once again.

I'm one of those users that is taking more than giving at the moment. Hopefully I will be able to return the favor at some point.

Also, this is a mod that could be expanded through time to provide some stats or top scores that can be viewed in an iframe or something like that. Just a thought...

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Zip file in first message updated for Derek's fix. Jet Li's German and German_Du language files added to zip.

Three screen shots added to show the mod in action.

IP Logged

magnum

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Any chance this works in 2.2.3? I run 3 boards and it's my 2.2.3 board that we do trivia/quizes on and this would be awesome to have. I just won't update that forum until after Football season is done in fear of jacking something up and trying to get people during my highest traffic period to adjust to changes

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 5:19am
Print Post  
It would probably need slight tweaking, but not likely too much.You might speak to ccarr ... looks like he already adapted it back to 2.2 ... he might be able to pass on what tweaks he had to use.

IP Logged

mick

I love YaBB

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Hi,
I installed this Mod and it runs, wenn I call the URL directly
(www.no_homepage.de/Yabb.cgi?action=quiz).

I didn't see a TAB after Installing the Mod. Is this right?

Greetings
Mick

IP Logged

Jeff
God Member

There are no bugs there
are only features

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
@mick
add in Variables/taborder.txt