Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Registration with admin approval (Read 80181 times)
Zoo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Registration with admin approval
Reply #15 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
ok I enabled pre-reg and set approve to hard.

After click link in email I get approve message on login.

but without pre-reg and set 2 for hard. I can login without get approve message.

ok, approve function now only work together pre-reg,
but join to free-reg is easy

Quote:
info mail for Admin is needed. Because Admin dont know if there new member and user wait and wait for their life and ask when I can post...  Grin

matter of taste
- admin do view approval list   Wink
- or it's view for admi/gmod in forum statistic section
- or ... or a email

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Zoo, I think you are going in the wrong direction here.

We now have:
- free registration (one pass, only email check on syntax)
- pre registration and activation
- only admin can register

Why not us the base code for pre registration but divert the activation email to the admin, change the message to the user to:"You will be able to log in as soon as the admin approves" and set the time out to more then the default 24 hours ?

Add another radio button to the admin selector to activate it and make sure that after the admin approves registration the user get confirmation.

the only thing you'll have to do is to give the admin the option to show the pre profile data for evaluation.

So, how's that for a challenge Tongue

Nothing to add here Smiley

IP Logged

Zoo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 7:43am
Print Post  
You think  Wink
I think I to work on the right lines.

The registration have 3 side.
User side - registration request, verification code typing , activation validation.
Tech side - simple mail checking, (or improved email checking), pre-reg activate time-out
Admin side - monitoring/ban/delete, or only admin can register like now

You say: user starting a registration, wait for approved by admin, and finish the reg process if he get it.

My idea not to horn in user or tech side.
If anybody want to join, then can register, go through the full (simple or multistep) registration procedure. Like now.
He to obtain a user status instantly, can login and enjoy the forum. It's userfrendly Smiley
But he know too it's limited status and need wait for full approved.

At the time admin/gmod can approve her account. Or Disapprove. But alone at this moment because haven't unnecessary todo with fals reg - this adminfrendly Cheesy

And this method possible easy switch to the free registration too.
But this my personal equation.

Mail to admin question. A big forum have more admin/gmod. Who get this mail?
I think best, if waiting users or number of this users showed to all admin/gmod in forum.

IP Logged

Jeff
God Member

There are no bugs there
are only features

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 7:53am
Print Post  
hi
a option which Forum staff get E-Mail  Smiley

greetings
Jeff
IP Logged

Zoo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:54am
Print Post  
New version in first post

Quote:
hi
a option which Forum staff get E-Mail  Smiley

to all admin and gmod?

IP Logged

Jeff
God Member

There are no bugs there
are only features

Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Zoo wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:54am:
New version in first post

to all admin and gmod?

no. I make a example screenshot from a mod of Alert mod. You can select which member of Forumstaff need to Emailed it.  Wink

And PLEASE can you make a Checkbox in Setting, to enable enter Reason on Register? This I want in future for our YaBBServer 2 Project with Xonder.  Grin

which_forumstaff.png ( 7 KB | Downloads )
which_forumstaff.png

greetings
Jeff
IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #21 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
@Zoo,

I don't see the way I propose it to be the user being bothered with tech stuff ?
He/she just gets a screen/email telling to wait for the admins to approve their application, nothing tech about that.
It's the way any normal life application also works, you ask to become a member, and if your credentials check out you get entrance.
You now turn the world upside down by making them a member that can do nothing more then a guest, only adding them to the memberdatabase.

So you have a spammer sign up and give him a user status but add a flag into the profile "unapproved" which prevents him to post or IM ?
Makes the admin part a lot heavier, as you need to delete all spammers after they signed up.

Where do you set the status ? In the vars file ?

IP Logged

Zoo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
@Jet Li - ok in next ver

Spikecity wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:58pm:
@Zoo,

I don't see the way I propose it to be the user being bothered with tech stuff ?
He/she just gets a screen/email telling to wait for the admins to approve their application, nothing tech about that.
It's the way any normal life application also works, you ask to become a member, and if your credentials check out you get entrance.

In normal life. But forum admins only trying filter members. Posteriorly. A forum is not a mortgage bank.
Again: matter of taste.

Quote:
You now turn the world upside down by making them a member that can do nothing more then a guest, only adding them to the memberdatabase.

If approval setting 1 then do anything except post, pm , memberlist. This good, if guestaccess disabled. Or if board(s) are hide from guest.

Quote:
So you have a spammer sign up and give him a user
status but add a flag into the profile "unapproved" which prevents him to post or IM ?

A blank $username.wait file  8) It's ditto, but easier work.

Quote:
Makes the admin part a lot heavier, as you need to delete all spammers after they signed up.

It's trure. But if you appoved before activation then you need to confirm all preregged users.

And this post-approve/disapprove work with free reg method too.

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Zoo wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 1:49pm:
It's trure. But if you appoved before activation then you need to confirm all preregged users.

And this post-approve/disapprove work with free reg method too.

There is a slight difference in the way I envision this feature and my idea leans heavily on existing pre-reg and activation code.

The only difference is the diversion from the activation mail to the admin (which has two links and a pre reg profile summary) giving the admin the option to activate or disapprove (delete) a preregged user without even being on the board.

This means for other users and guests there will not be a change in the member count and list until someone actually is approved.

In your model the member (without rights) is already added to the member system (meaning visible as latest member on the board, in the memberlist etc and the only way the admin now has is to remove this member from the admin center.

I think this is just even more work then just clicking email links.
And of course registration with admin approval always means more work, for both our systems, because even in your system all new regged members have to be approved or dismissed by an admin or gmod, meaning also not less work then the way I want to do it.

IP Logged

Zoo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Spikecity wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 7:05pm:
The only difference is the diversion from the activation mail to the admin (which has two links and a pre reg profile summary) giving the admin the option to activate or disapprove (delete) a preregged user without even being on the board.
I think this is just even more work then just clicking email links.

Email to selected admin/gmod included in next version.
Activate or disapprove link (with profile summary) in mail. Possible in my mod.
But I have reservations about this.
Email links are point into forum, an action. Ok, you get it through 1 click - if you are logged in. This work with 1-2 user.
What happen if you have more new preregged users? You get 10-20-50 mail? And clicking in every mail ... or you have a waiting user list in forum, and use multiactivation/delete action (like me).

The extremity. This all to be out to spammer filter. A robot create 1000-.. new preregged user in your forum. At the time you (admins/gmods) have 1000.. new mail. That's the real spam Wink
Shape of things to come: waiting nike, jordan, buyNow,  .. preregged users.
And all in your postoffice. 8)

IP Logged

D0T-C0M
God Member

Reply #25 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I can't wait till this mod is completed, it's something I've wanted for quite some time.

I do like spikecity's idea about not even allowing them become a member before they are approved. That way nobody sees the new members till they've been approved. But regardless as long as I can approve people who apply would be a great step forward.

IP Logged

ExhaultedRuler

Up, Up, and Away!!

Reply #26 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 5:41am
Print Post  
At this point, Is this a usable MOD?

Irwin's Superman Adventures Message Boards - Everything you ever wanted to know about the Hawaiian Superman!
IP Logged

Zoo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #27 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 6:03am
Print Post  
@ExhaultedRuler: I think yes.

@everybody: ok, I'll try to add a prereg-approved-activation model.

to me: I was think, be quick over write a simple, usable approval mod. I'm naiv. Grin

IP Logged

ExhaultedRuler

Up, Up, and Away!!

Reply #28 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Zoo wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 6:03am:
@ExhaultedRuler: I think yes.

@everybody: ok, I'll try to add a prereg-approved-activation model.

to me: I was think, be quick over write a simple, usable approval mod. I'm naiv. Grin

Ok..I'll bite and try it out tomorrow morning...thanks for the quick reply.

Irwin's Superman Adventures Message Boards - Everything you ever wanted to know about the Hawaiian Superman!
IP Logged

Zoo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:49am
Print Post  
@Spikecity

Imp_In_Training wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:18am:
This mod is pretty handy, but I would like to see that I'm notified after they complete registration.  I get about 20 bogus registration attempts a day, the kinds that don't check their email and click on the validation link... so they never complete registration.  Occasionally, one or two sneak through, and those are the ones I need to be notified about.  Seeing 20 messages in my in box, and having maybe only one of them having completed registration, well... it doesn't do me any good. 

Thanks though.

Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
Send TopicPrint