Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [YaBB2.1] Limit Concurrent Users V1.0b (Read 17010 times)
Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Re: [YaBB2.1] Limit Concurrent Users V1.0a
Reply #15 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Larian wrote on Feb 15th, 2007 at 7:08am:
Today i got the message "Too many users". To log in i wrote a lesser value in concurrent.db. After that i logged in and nobody was online!
Seems that the mod has an error!

Larian

Too many user is not the text I generate, are you sure it wasn't the webserver itsself generating this error (as this is a sort of default text for webserver that use throttling)

Nothing to add here Smiley

IP Logged

Larian

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
No, was the error from your mod, i didn't wrote the right error-message in my message, but it was the message from your mod.

Today i had another strange thing, i got an "internal server-error" and after deleting concurrent.db this error was away.

Larian

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Larian wrote on Feb 20th, 2007 at 9:05pm:
No, was the error from your mod, i didn't wrote the right error-message in my message, but it was the message from your mod.

Today i had another strange thing, i got an "internal server-error" and after deleting concurrent.db this error was away.

Larian

Strange, as concurrent.db should be locked on the server if open, so corruption due to simultaneous writing should not occur.
Too bad you did delete it (I suppose you did not check the content of that file).

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Larian wrote on Feb 20th, 2007 at 9:05pm:

So you mean you got one of the texts below ?

english text:

%conn_txt = (
'error' => "The forum has reached it's maximum concurrent users.... please come back later !!",
);

german text:

%conn_txt = (
'error' => "Das Forum hat die maximale Anzahl gleichzeitiger Benutzer erreicht. .... Bitte kommen Sie später zurück!",
);

As this is a unique variable there is no way on earth I could generate a different text.

IP Logged

Larian

Reply #19 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Spikecity wrote on Feb 20th, 2007 at 9:52pm:
Too bad you did delete it (I suppose you did not check the content of that file).

I know Sad, but i checked the file before and it seemed ok! I don't have an idea, why this problem came up.

Yes, the right text was: "Das Forum hat die maximale Anzahl gleichzeitiger Benutzer erreicht. .... Bitte kommen Sie später zurück!"

Larian

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #20 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Larian wrote on Feb 21st, 2007 at 1:42pm:
I know Sad, but i checked the file before and it seemed ok! I don't have an idea, why this problem came up.

Error 500 only occurs when this file was written partially or worse, read while the last write wasn't complete (causing the file to get corrupt).
Normally file locking should prevent corruption due to simultaneous access, so wwhy it happened on your board is a mistery to me.

IP Logged

Zoo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
today I take a look to http://www.powerlifting-forum.nl/forum/
after some clik, a get this:
"Software error:

syntax error at ./Variables/concurrent.db line 1, near "= ;"
Compilation failed in require at YaBB.pl line 60."

Spikecity wrote on Feb 21st, 2007 at 7:04pm:
Error 500 only occurs when this file was written partially or worse, read while the last write wasn't complete (causing the file to get corrupt).
Normally file locking should prevent corruption due to simultaneous access, so wwhy it happened on your board is a mistery to me.

Why?! File lock are advisory lock. May be modified/readed by programs that do not also use flock().

You use require,
Code
Select All
$vardir/concurrent.db"; 

that not use flock.

concurrent.db with fopen/read  probably much better 

edit: don't take it amiss but i say again: this idea to limiting the concurrent users is bad

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #22 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Zoo wrote on Feb 21st, 2007 at 10:24pm:
edit: don't take it amiss but i say again: this idea to limiting the concurrent users is bad

I know it is a bad idea after all, but as said, I have a "customer" that needs this restriction.
But I already challenged you and anyone else here to come up with a better, more foolproof idea to achieve this limitation without having server throttling at your disposal.

It should not be that hard to have some reliable, server independent manner to count the running perl processes ?

@ALL
Until further notice it is recommended to deinstall this mod as it seems to crash the board.

[edit]
Version 1.0b is in the first message, please deinstall 1.0a, FIRST DELETE concurrent.db from your server, then upload the modded files with 1.0b

Biggest change is the require is changed in a file read action avoiding corruption.

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Re: [YaBB2.1] Limit Concurrent Users V1.0b
Reply #23 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Up !!
Anyone tested after changing the file writing code ?
Please do so we can either fix it or promote it to done !!

IP Logged

Jeff
God Member

There are no bugs there
are only features

Reply #24 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Hi
uups, sorry, I have't see your edit preview post. that you change first post. i will test it.  Wink

Edit:
ok, works for me.

greetings
Jeff
IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #25 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Hi, Ron,

ThoughtI would pass on word, I downloaded this mod sometime in March and installed it on my board.

Everything worked fine until tonight. I went to get on my forum and got your message about too many concurrent users. I waited a little while and tried again, and got the same thing.

Now I have a small board and a small member base, so I started worrying that somebody was trying to attack my server. Since I could not get on to correct things, I downloaded the settings file and manually put the board into maintenace mode, thinking that would block whoever was tying things up, and let me get in to check what was going on.

No go.

Finally decided to hunt this thread up, and see if anybody had posted about problems on here. After reading through it, I deleted the database file, and the board works again. Sorry I didn't think clearly enough to copy the file to my hard drive before deleting it from the server.

But I thought I would pass on word, at least once in a while, this is still causing itself problems.

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint