Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dice 4 YaBB 2.1 beta (Read 23616 times)
Carsten
God Member

...to much YaMS

Dice 4 YaBB 2.1 beta
Sep 2nd, 2006 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
The Dice mod adds a new "Add Dice" link at the bottom of each topic in the "Administrator Functions" giving Administrator the option to add a die/dice roller-system to the topic.
Two new user-options - "Goto Dice" and "Add Roll" (or one of two) - are then added to the topic.

In "Goto Dice" mode members of groups with permission can roll dice and have their result shown in a Score-table.

In "Add Roll" mode members of groups with permission can roll dice and have the result shown as a special "Roll post" in the topic.

Admin/Moderator setup:

-Member Group(s): (both modes)
Select the membergroup(s) allowed access to roll dice. Use "Ctrl" or "Shift" key for multiple selection.

-View in thread: (both modes)
Select the Dice mode(s) for members to choose in the thread.

-Dice: (only "Goto Dice" mode)
Select the number of dice (1-10)

-Sides: (only "Goto Dice" mode)
Set the number of sides on dice (1-999)

-Rolls: (only "Goto Dice" mode)
Set the number of rounds (1-99)

-Enable 'hold die': (only "Goto Dice" mode)
Enable/disable 'hold die'. If enabled, users have the option to "hold" each die. Ex. You have 5 dice, 6 sides, 3 rolls, after each roll user can check a box under any die to "hold" that die. The result will be shown as one score.
If diabled the user will roll 3 seperate rounds and the result will be shown as 3 scores.

-Sort by: (only "Goto Dice" mode)
Select the way the Score-table should be sorted.

-Lock Dice:  (only "Goto Dice" mode)
Check this box to lock Dice - members can see the Score-table but they can't Roll.

----------

Updates:

ver. 0.3 beta - added option to show seperate die results in "Add Roll Mode" and setting a target value - as requested by Imp_In_Training

ver. 02b - fixed small glitch with showing members group in score-list. Also added mod to ModList.pl

ver. 0.2 - fixed some layout glitches and added score results.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2006 at 9:40pm by Carsten »  

dice_4_yabb21_03.zip ( 36 KB | Downloads )

If you knock your head against a brick wall and hear a hollow sound, it's not necessarily coming from the wall.

IP Logged

Carsten
God Member

...to much YaMS

Re: Dice 4 YaBB 2.1 beta
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
"Goto Dice" screenshot:

dice01.gif ( 14 KB | Downloads )
dice01.gif

If you knock your head against a brick wall and hear a hollow sound, it's not necessarily coming from the wall.

IP Logged

Outumuro
God Member

Publisher - YaBB Toolbar

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Thanks Carsten! Smiley

IP Logged

Imp_In_Training
God Member

Don't follow me, I'm lost
too!

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I wish I knew you were working on this before I went through all the effort of working on my own RollLog mod.

However, I remember this mod from 1.4 ... and many of my users were quite disappointed when we left it behind.  It's a nice option to have for a gaming site, so I'll probably be loading it shortly.

IP Logged

Carsten
God Member

...to much YaMS

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
@Outumuro - you are welcome.

@Imp_In_Training
Imp_In_Training wrote on Sep 4th, 2006 at 8:28am:
I wish I knew you were working on this before I went through all the effort of working on my own RollLog mod.

Well, i was'nt until the day before yesterday when the "spirit" was there and i saw that nobody had taken up the challenge  Smiley I guess what you are working on is a quite different kind of "roller" and i'm sure it's been a great learning experience  and no time wasted Wink There are more examples of mods with more or less the same functionality living nicely together here on BoardMod.

IP Logged

ThM
God Member

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Hi Carsten,

sorry for the silly question : I don't understand, what the Mod does.  Roll Eyes

I attempt to install via BoardMod and  have Error in Step 4 and 5.... Step 4 is no Probem. I can fix it self, but the Error in Step 5 comes, I think, from Quick Reply Box (Search String could not be found)

Can you make it compatible with the Mod ?

Thanks

Greeting ThM

IP Logged

Imp_In_Training
God Member

too!

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Carsten,

I did take an honest attempt at revamping the dice mod from YaBB 1.4 version into YaBB 2.0, but there were just so many changes between systems and I was practically clueless on how it all fit together.  It was simply easier for me to use a language I had a better grasp at (JavaScript) and build up with some moderate Perl / YaBB support.  

A tremendous learning experience, to be sure.  I am thinking of taking a stab at that old Whisper mod next.

Anyway, I digress.  I've just downloaded your mod and I'll be trying to install it within the next hour or two.  I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

Imp_In_Training
God Member

too!

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Installed without a hitch. My compliments on your efficency.

Runtime, I have some observations if you're interested to hear them.  I haven't found a use on my site for the Goto Dice mode, so I can't really comment on that portion so much.  However, we do have a need to 'Add Roll' in a thread frequently.

The problem is, sometimes we don't want the dice rolled to total up.  Sometimes, we just want to see what each individual die rolled, as each die is taken into consideration separately.

For instance, say you were playing the game of Risk and you were attacking full force, and there was a full defense.  Attackers would get three dice, defenders would get two.  The dice represent individual units, they are not accumulated.  Each die is taken in turn and checked for a value higher or lower than the the opponent.  The lower value loses a unit.

Another example, in the World of Darkness games (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, etc.) there is a dice pool for each action.  The better you are at something, the more dice you get. But each die is checked against a target number, (standard difficulty is 6 on a 10-sided).  So if you have a dice pool of 5 dice, and the target is 6, and you roll 1, 5, 6, 8, 9 - you would have three successes (casting off the 1 and 5).

So you see, seeing the individual die results is very necessary for many games.

It'd also be nice if you could work something in there to repeat a roll.  You may have to make twenty of the same roll.  Why force them to go through the 'add roll' process twenty times?

IP Logged

ThM
God Member

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Hi,

ThM wrote on Sep 5th, 2006 at 11:45am:
Hi Carsten,

sorry for the silly question : I don't understand, what the Mod does.  Roll Eyes

I attempt to install via BoardMod and  have Error in Step 4 and 5.... Step 4 is no Probem. I can fix it self, but the Error in Step 5 comes, I think, from Quick Reply Box (Search String could not be found)

Can you make it compatible with the Mod ?

Thanks

Carsten, can you give me a answer for my question please .....  Roll Eyes

Greeting ThM

IP Logged

ThM
God Member

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 10:54am
Print Post  
ThM wrote on Sep 9th, 2006 at 4:47pm:
Hi,
Carsten, can you give me a answer for my question please .....  Roll Eyes

Thanks for answer me  Lips Sealed

Greeting ThM

IP Logged

Carsten
God Member

...to much YaMS

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
@Imp_In_Training - added option to show seperate die results in "Add Roll Mode" and setting a target value - looking forward to your comments/suggestions  Wink

@ThM - i do not have the time to be around here as much as i would like to - but i do what i can - so please spare me your sarcasm. By looking at the code i don't see any incompatibility in step 5 with Quick Reply Box and i don't have the time to look for other incompatibilities just now.

dice02.gif ( 7 KB | Downloads )
dice02.gif

IP Logged

Imp_In_Training
God Member

too!

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Groovy...

I'll implement that change probably tomorrow, and let you know how it goes, but the demo looks really nice.

IP Logged

Imp_In_Training
God Member

too!

Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I have uninstalled the first version and reinstalled the new version, uploaded all the applicable files, set permissions, and gave it a test run, but the results seems to imply that the code isn't quite error free.    I tried to mimic your roll above, and got the following result:

example_imp_1.gif ( 5 KB | Downloads )
example_imp_1.gif
IP Logged

Imp_In_Training
God Member

too!

Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
There is one small problem with the target logic.  It assumes that the target will always be that number or less.  Some times, it is that number or greater.  I don't think it matters too much because the formatting of the colors is enough to differentiate the two.  I'd just reword the results so that it doesn't say "less than <target +1>".  A simple 'target number' will suffice.  I think it's ok to assume that the person rolling and all others reading along know if they want higher or lower.

On second thought ... if the target is that number and less, or that number and greater, it will leave the target number as in question.

If, for instance, you are playing Vampire: The Masquerade, you have a dice pool of so many 10-sided dice, and have to roll a number or higher in order to gain one success.  If this dice roller is only looking for a number or lower, then the target number will always be the wrong color when compared to the rest of the successes accumulated in the roll.

IP Logged

Carsten
God Member

...to much YaMS

Reply #14 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Imp_In_Training wrote on Sep 19th, 2006 at 8:47pm:
I have uninstalled the first version and reinstalled the new version, uploaded all the applicable files, set permissions, and gave it a test run, but the results seems to imply that the code isn't quite error free.    I tried to mimic your roll above, and got the following result:

Looks like you did not check the new setup option "Show seperate dice results".

dice03.gif ( 2 KB | Downloads )
dice03.gif

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint