Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Modifying Other People's Mods (Read 25253 times)
Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Re: Modifying Other People's Mods
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Amen to that Dave Smiley

Nothing to add here Smiley

IP Logged

everydayteens

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
I am not sure I agree with this.

Mods are open source and distributed under the same license as YaBB itself (or even Perl).  If it is an open license, whether it's agreed to or not, anyone is able to make any modifications to it they want.

If you want to limit the rights, you'd have to say so in the license agreement attached with the mod.  Open source means open everything.  If we're allowed to hack YaBB, why would we not be allowed to hack mods that are YaBB?

I've owned one of the longest running Perl/CGI script depositories and I get emails all the time with people telling me they updated my scripts or added their own features.  It doesn't upset me people want to change things, in fact it's a good feeling to know that your code is so good that they just want to build off it to make it suit their needs better.  No one should feel like their mod is inadequate if someone is mod'ing your mod.

I'm not saying I'm touching other people's codes myself, but if the license is open source then why would anyone have a problem with it?

IP Logged

Carsten
God Member

...to much YaMS

Reply #17 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I,m not sure i understand what it is you don't agree with...

To quote DaveB (a great source of inspiration here on BoardMod) community is the key word here. Every community tends to develope it's own unwritten rules on how to manage things. Here on BoardMod we have a long going tradition for helping each other to evolve in coding, and modding YaBB. Most of the modders and developers (including myself) did learn a lot from looking and learning from other commumity members.

One of the unwritten rules here is "Respect"!! Meaning that even thou you could make claim on changing other peoples code you still give credit to the original author. What's so hard in doing that?

I've seen a lot of other communities hijacked by spoiled kids claiming that the world should be evolving around them. I'm confident that this will never happen here on BoardMod  Wink

If you knock your head against a brick wall and hear a hollow sound, it's not necessarily coming from the wall.

IP Logged

everydayteens

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #18 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Maybe I missed the point. From what I was reading, it sounded like some users may not allow other people to modify their hacks as long as they are still around.

I'm just saying, whether you are around or not, your code is and should be available for anyone to do what they want with it.  Of course I don't believe I should be able to take your mod, add one feature to it, and rerelease it as my own.  But we should be able to do anything we else with it given we don't "steal" the original credit.

IP Logged

AK108
God Member

Reply #19 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
It's common courtesy to wait until a modwriter says it's ok to update a mod. With this topic, inactive modwriter's mods will be maintained faster.

For my mods, check out my public notes.

You might be interested in my projects, or my forum, the Flying Kirby Pub.
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #20 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
everydayteens wrote on Apr 13th, 2006 at 6:26pm:
Mods are open source and distributed under the same license as YaBB itself (or even Perl).  If it is an open license, whether it's agreed to or not, anyone is able to make any modifications to it they want.

Not true, Mods are released under the same license as YaBB (YPL), which is not Open Source but a restricted Open Source License which limits the redistribution of altered code without respecting the copyrights of the original author(s).

As said before, the "unwritten" rule on boardmod (and also on yabbforum) is respecting each others work which in essence means you a free as a bird to do with my or for that matter anybody's mod code as long as you leave the copyrights in it and do not redistribute it again under your own name.

Modwriters (often also the developers / beta testers of new YaBB versions) spend a lot of their free time on making new features outside their normal lives, without being paid for their hard work other then with the gratitude of happy users.

This is what makes the mod community tick and thrive here as we all know that respecting the work of any coder means next time someone requests a new and exiting feature the same guy/girl will probably jump in again with the same enthousiasm as before.

If you want to use mod code for your own purposes it usually takes you one email or PM to the author to ask if it is OK and I have never seen any of us deny the use of our code for your own purposes.

If you, like anyone out here respects the unwritten rules there is nothing you or we have to worry about, if not..... I think you will find little help left here but I do not think that is your intention Wink

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #21 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
AK108 wrote on Apr 13th, 2006 at 8:36pm:
It's common courtesy to wait until a modwriter says it's ok to update a mod. With this topic, inactive modwriter's mods will be maintained faster.

Exactly, people come and go all the time and abandoned mods are a waste of talent and code, but at least one should have the politeness to check out if a mod is dead or still maintained by the original coder.
Which still does not mean the code is hands off for your own purposes, as long as you do not redistribute it as a ripped off new mod of an existing one.

I already abandoned a lot of my Y1 mods to other coders willing to rewrite it for Y2 as I do not have time for it, but all done with my permission to use the code.
As said, it takes one email to ask Wink

IP Logged

MF-B

Reply #22 - May 12th, 2006 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Not true, Mods are released under the same license as YaBB (YPL), which is not Open Source but a restricted Open Source License which limits the redistribution of altered code without respecting the copyrights of the original author(s).

But: if I need old mod (YaBB1) for MY using on MY Forum (YaBB2), I not need ask PERMISSION, I seat and rewrite mod as I shall want. I so think... or I am not right?

Today I rewrite Rating mod for YaBB 1.3 by Carsten for using in MY YaBB2 Forum. I ask Carsten about publish this mod, or send him changed variant of this mod for him check and next release by Carsten. I write... write... write... and what? No answer...
What to do with it mod? Kill? No problem... I kill it...
I using this only on my forum and not publish as mod Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2006 at 9:22pm by MF-B »  
IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Reply #23 - May 14th, 2006 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
MF-B wrote on May 12th, 2006 at 6:54pm:
But: if I need old mod (YaBB1) for MY using on MY Forum (YaBB2), I not need ask PERMISSION, I seat and rewrite mod as I shall want. I so think... or I am not right?

No, you do not need permission to use mod code for your own purpose, that's absolutely correct.
MF-B wrote on May 12th, 2006 at 6:54pm:
Today I rewrite Rating mod for YaBB 1.3 by Carsten for using in MY YaBB2 Forum. I ask Carsten about publish this mod, or send him changed variant of this mod for him check and next release by Carsten. I write... write... write... and what? No answer...
What to do with it mod? Kill? No problem... I kill it...
I using this only on my forum and not publish as mod Lips Sealed

As said, it's only polite to ask the original author if you can use his/her code if you plan to redistribute the altered version to anyone using YaBB or other scripts
Which means that you are free to hack the hell out of anybody's mod for your own purposes as long as you leave the original copyright in the code and possibly append your own, but again only if it is not ment for redistribution.

IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Reply #24 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Since I got a mail from someone regarding updating of one of mine...

Anyone can update my mods as required. I would, however, ask that people inform me, so I can keep a note on the life of my small additions to the community. Smiley

Code
Select All
unless(0) { stab("LoonyPandora"); next; } 

IP Logged

ChiMoHe

I love YaBB 2.2

Reply #25 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:12am
Print Post  
BlogTripper told me anyone can mod his mods ... not that there's that many ... He also said to say hello and he'll hopefully have internet access and hosting again soon ...

soundcloud.com/chimohe
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint