Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) RSS Feed mod 1.0b7 (Read 55886 times)
ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Re: RSS Feed mod 1.0b2
Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
@Pinnacle:  Since this mod uses its own version of the display routine it makes sense that the Enable HTML mod won't work.  You might try manually adding the Enable HTML code to the RSS_Display.pl file.  I would hold off for a day or two though for the next beta which fixes some problems.

@CDTrips:  I worked out how to remove extra spaces so that will be fixed in the next beta.  Turned out to be a lot more work than I anticipated.  There are all sorts of blank characters that count as spaces and annoy the validators.

Next, I'm working on using user display names instead of usernames.

Dan

Please include your forum address in all requests for assistance.  It greatly speeds things along.
IP Logged

Jazhawk
God Member

I'm not always right but
I'm never wrong

Reply #16 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Looks pretty good man.  I tried it in my browser first but I just missed it was RSS.  But I have an rss reader running and got your few messages.

Looks cool.

-Jazhawk

IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 12:27am
Print Post  
I guess the formatting can be pretty extensive if you want it to be.

Check this one out in your reader.  Has his own logo and everything inserted before the Feed and Title.

http://www.hutteman.com/weblog/rss.xml

He added the logo with this code within the channel info.

- <image>
  <title>public virtual MemoryStream</title>
  <url>http://www.hutteman.com/pvm.png</url>;
  <link>http://www.hutteman.com/weblog/</link>;
  <width>88</width>
  <height>31</height>
  <description>Luke Hutteman on Java, .NET, J2EE, RSS and whatever else comes to mind...</description>
  </image>

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Re: RSS Feed mod 1.0b3
Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 3:17am
Print Post  
<bump for 1.0beta4, see first post>

Updates in beta 4:
  • Moved RSS routine out of Subs.pl and into RSS_Display.pl.
  • Fixed validation problems with weird characters.
  • Uses Display Names instead of usernames for post authors.
  • Added Feed logo.
  • Added post summaries.
  • Added Author and Board fields.
  • Simplified post description.

I tested this beta on the SharpReader RSS reader.  If you use a different reader I'd like to know how the new beta is working.  Please test the RSS Feed in the first post.  Thanks.

Dan
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2004 at 1:12pm by ironwing »  

Please include your forum address in all requests for assistance.  It greatly speeds things along.
IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Re: RSS Feed mod 1.0b4
Reply #19 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I do not know if it matters in the overall scheme of things or not as the latest version works great and I like the logo portion, however using the validator I posted previously I am still getting validation errors in the following fields;

1.  Undefined item element: date  19 0
2.  Undefined item element: creator  20 0
3.  Undefined item element: subject  21 0

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #20 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
The rss.scripting.com validator doesn't like the Dublin Core ( dc: ) library which the mod calls.  Other validators I tried don't object to this.  I tried some other rss feeds from popular sites with the rss.scripting.com validator and it doesn't like very many of them but they still work fine in the reader.   Undecided

Dan

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #21 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
@CDTrips:

Try your board named <-gLu-> again using the version of the RSS_Display.pl file attached to this post (assuming you have already installed beta 4).  I added some more filters that should fix the problem you are having with the invalid characters in the board name.  I added similar filters to all the user and admin inputs so hopefully that should take care of some of the invalid character problems.

I still have a problem with non-english characters like á and ñ.  I'm not sure how I'm going to fix those.

Dan

Edit: removed file attchment as new beta out.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2004 at 4:43am by ironwing »  

home.gif ( 0 KB | Downloads )
home.gif

IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Great, I will try it as soon as I get home.

FYI... I did not know if you had Member Level Access boards on your forum or not to test this, but I have boards that only certain mebers can see and they do not show up in the reader.

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #23 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I took care of the non-english character problems and updated the file attached to my last post.  Now the following characters will work without annoying the RSS reader:

Quote:
Ã Ä Å Æ Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ë ì í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

If anyone notices that their favorite letter is missing from the list and wants to see it added, please let me know the letter and the html character code that goes with it.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Tim Samoff

Reply #24 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
I posted this in another section of the board...
Quote:
Well, I installed the mod and it doesn't seem to work... My aggregator tries to access the rss, but quits after it doesn't find anything.

One question... Could it have anything to do with the fact that my path is www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/community/YaBB.pl?action=rss instead of www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=rss?

I'm using Beta 3, it looks like -- weird, because I downloaded from the "latest" link... Anyway, I will download Beta 4.

Any suggestions to upgrading? Do I only have to upload the .pl file or do I have to reinstall the entire mod?

Tim

IP Logged

Tim Samoff

Reply #25 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you have previously installed a 1.0 beta  you will need to uninstall/reinstall.  Please report bugs here.

Uhhh... Nevermind about that last question! Smiley

-T.

IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #26 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Works like a charm Smiley

What can I break for you next?

IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #27 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I posted this in another section of the board...

I'm using Beta 3, it looks like -- weird, because I downloaded from the "latest" link... Anyway, I will download Beta 4.

Any suggestions to upgrading? Do I only have to upload the .pl file or do I have to reinstall the entire mod?

Tim

Just a guess but try taking the "..." after the subject names on your boards.  This is where the error is showing up.

Error parsing RSS XML: Undefined root element: 

Item
[1]<title>Using this Discussion Forum...</title>

If you remove them then that will narrow it down but I have a feeling that will do it.

Are you using Beta 4 with 5.pl as stated above?

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #28 - Apr 2nd, 2004 at 4:32am
Print Post  
CDTrips wrote on Apr 1st, 2004 at 5:41pm:
Great, I will try it as soon as I get home.

FYI... I did not know if you had Member Level Access boards on your forum or not to test this, but I have boards that only certain mebers can see and they do not show up in the reader.

This is a real problem, the user cookie info is not being read.  I'll have to copy the cookie code into the RSS_Display file so it can be read.

Edit:  Thinking about this, it makes sense that the cookie is not read because the cookie info is specific to the browser the user used in logging in.  Since an RSS reader is not necessarily a browser, the YaBB script should treat the user as a guest.  The SharpReader uses the IE activeX control so when I was looking at my RSS feed it was reading the cookie fine.

I'm going to have to write a new routine to have the admin pick from the list of available boards and check the ones that should be available to the RSS feed, bypassing any member/guest considerations.

Dan

IP Logged

Tim Samoff

Reply #29 - Apr 2nd, 2004 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
All right... I installed Beta v4, and it's still not working for me. When I attempt to retrieve the feed in my aggregator, it acts like it is retrieving (as it did previoulsy), but nothing appears in the News Pane. When I view the RSS source, it HAS retrieved the correct source -- at least, it shows the message board's entries in the RSS source.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint