Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) RSS Feed mod 1.0b7 (Read 55888 times)
ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

RSS Feed mod 1.0b7
Mar 30th, 2004 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Here is beta 7 of the RSS Feed mod that creates an RSS Feed for a forum's most recent posts.

Link removed, RSS Feed 1.0 is now in mod database

You can try out a feed here, using an RSS Reader:

http://www.mineralarts.com/cgi/yabbsp1/YaBB.pl?action=rss

If you are upgrading from 1.0b6 just replace your RSS_Display.pl and RSSFeedHelp.html files.

If you have previously installed any other 1.0 beta you will need to uninstall/reinstall.

Please report bugs here.

Dan

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2004 at 2:27pm by ironwing »  

aim.gif ( 0 KB | Downloads )
aim.gif

Please include your forum address in all requests for assistance.  It greatly speeds things along.
IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Re: RSS Feed mod 1.0b2
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 12:09am
Print Post  
It appears to be working great.   I just need to figure out how to change the text color as it is making it the same color as my BG color.

My BG is black and so is the text.

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Yeah,  I haven't decided how I'm going to handle that.  For right now you could edit the RSS_Display.pl file, find this line:

Code
Select All
	$yymain .= qq~Content-type: text/html\n\n

and add the CSS definitions from your template right after it.

Dan

Please include your forum address in all requests for assistance.  It greatly speeds things along.
IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Ok, I added the CSS styles from the default template and it works and looks just great.

Great MOD!!

IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 2:05am
Print Post  
OK, I use MYHTPC and it works fine but when I downloaded SharpReader I get the following error.

Error parsing RSS XML: The '-' character, hexadecimal value 0x2D, cannot begin with a name. Line 5, position 11.
Please try to validate this feed. If this feed validates as correct RSS, you can send an error report.

http://www.godzlikeus.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?action=rss

I re-uploaded the default rss_display.pl and the same thing.

Any Ideas?

Your link works fine though.

IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 2:42am
Print Post  
WOW, using a validator I was able to determine that it did not like the "<-" in my forum name which was <-gLu-> Clan Forums.  Renamed to gLu Clan Forum and got past that error.

It also did not like the -6:00 in the time offset field or any variation thereof, had to leave that blank to get past that error. (FIGURED THIS ONE OUT: LEFT OUT THE FIRST 0)

It also does not like it when there are 2 spaces between words like such
"This  is cool".  It would not validate this.  When making a new post someone accidentally had two spaces in the title of the post. This error only occurred when it was in the title of a post. I removed the extra one and I got past this error.

This is the validator I was using.
http://rss.scripting.com/

I hope this info helps you to troubleshoot this mod.

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Thanks,  that two space thing is going to need attention for sure.

I have figured out how to pull the template into the RSS_Display.pl file.  It now parses the template, taking everything between the opening <html> tag and the <body ....> tag and inserting that into the RSS view so you shouldn't have to mess with the CSS stuff anymore.  I've attached the new file to this post.  I've tagged it as beta 1.0b2.1 as I'll release beta 3 when I work out some of the problems you've mentioned above.

I'll clarify the time offset instructions further in the mod file so folks know to use the leading 0.  As I wrote in the mod info section the Time module used by YaBB overrides the gmtime function so I can't calculate the offset automatically.  There is supposed to be a gmctime function which pulls GMT time in a scalar format but when I tried it it still spit out the full formatted time string.   Tongue

Dan

RSS_Display_pl.txt ( 17 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

caliman
God Member

Swanky

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 3:10am
Print Post  
I'd be curious to see this in action, but your URL in the 1st post doesn't work - comes up blank, FYI.

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 3:12am
Print Post  
caliman wrote on Mar 31st, 2004 at 3:10am:
I'd be curious to see this in action, but your URL in the 1st post doesn't work - comes up blank, FYI.

You need to look at it in a RSS Reader, not a regular browser.  It is built on xml not html.

Dan

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Also, I'd like imput on what folks would like to see in the item descriptions.  Right now it shows the thread title, initial poster, last poster.  The last post date shows in the date column (depends on reader I guess).  Grabbing the first few words of the actual post would be nice but also a lot more work than I want to take on (unless I can raid an existing mod for code of course, hmmmm).

Dan

IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 3:29am
Print Post  
That worked great.  I think the time info you have there is fine, it is just that I am used to it being as such (-5:00), to smart for my own good and didn't read as well as I should have the first time.

As to the description I would just add what board the post is in and the time of the last post.  That should be enough for that.

Good work.

IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 3:52am
Print Post  
I shouldn't be so negative.  It turned out the code I needed to create the message summaries was already pretty much written for me.  I used the headlines mod as the starting point for the code in the Subs.pl file and the trunctation script was already there but for another purpose.

I'll add the board title as you suggested.  How much formatting is allowed in the description field?  I'd like to make the description look a bit more organized than a comma separated list.

Dan

IP Logged

caliman
God Member

Swanky

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 6:26am
Print Post  
ironwing wrote on Mar 31st, 2004 at 3:12am:
You need to look at it in a RSS Reader, not a regular browser.  It is built on xml not html.

Dan

Doh. Guess I don't know what you guys are up to here, newsfeeds caught my eye. I'll look into it.

IP Logged

Pinnacle

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.3!

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 8:27am
Print Post  
I have just installed and configured this mod, but I think there is a problem unless it's me? I have Enable HTML installed so I can post HTML code but
When I look at the RSS feed in a RSS Feed Reader I can see all the code instead of just the posting?

Is this correct?

IP Logged

CDTrips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
I do not know about the formatting of the desricption field but I will check around.  From other feeds they have always been pretty bland.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint