Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Quiz v.96c for SP1.1, 1.2, 1.3 (Read 34085 times)
ms_ukyankee

fka whisper68

Quiz v.96c for SP1.1, 1.2, 1.3
Jun 19th, 2003 at 1:16am
Print Post  
This mod allows you to setup a quiz center on your boards quickly and easily. This quiz center is templated, integrated with YaBB, and has an advanced Admin script for managing the quiz displays. All users can enter own quizzes. The admin can restrict this so that only admins can add new quizzes. The quiz tracks all results and displays high scores. Upon completion, users are given a total quiz breakdown of the quiz, showing them how they fared on each question, and, on the ones they missed, showing them the correct answer. Upon completion, users are shown a graphical bar representing their score, and a graphical bar representing the average score for the quiz. A member can make a quiz only once. Main quiz page calculates displays the easiest and most difficult quizzes automatically. Moreover you can sort quizzes by different items. This mod supports YaBB Code and the Censor list.

Installation:

- Apply appropriate mod for your yabb version, ie 1.1, or 1.2/1.3
- upload modded files
- upload Quiz.pl to /Sources directory in ASCII
- upload quiz.gif and QuizBar.gif to YabbImages directory in Binary
- set quiz options in Admin "Quiz Settings"

Note that a user cannot take their own quizzes.

Original Author: Pyrron, http://www.philtalk.de

Mod updated by whisper68, bugs fixed and compatible with SP1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1 (with Pyrron's permission of course)
===========
Bug fixes since version .95

Menu item "Quizzes" text class (by whisper68)

Missing folder tree (by Jake, thx)

Register link (by Jake, more thx)

I think I've got this update right, it's 2 am, and it's my first mod so go easy on me. Wink

A timer add-on is on the way, it's half done, needs cheat protection first. A few other requests from old thread will also be attempted.

Thanks to Jake for the bug fixes he found.

=====
Update, .96c is now up, thanks to Carsten for fixing the cheat protection for us. Carsten rocks, give him a vote when Mod Author of 2003 rolls around. Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2003 at 4:33pm by ms_ukyankee »  

quiz_96c.zip ( 16 KB | Downloads )

No longer active on Boardmod, migrated to another forum system.

tenl

Re: Quiz v.96b for SP1.1, 1.2, 1.3
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2003 at 2:54am
Print Post  
COOL! Grin

But I want to wait for that timer add-on. I also recommended that in earlier versions!

TENL

IP Logged

ms_ukyankee

fka whisper68

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2003 at 10:58am
Print Post  
@batchman, you were right about the back/scoring bug, I thought that had been fixed last time around. Sad

I'll have a look and see if it can be fixed, or else expand the timer's cheat protection to include that issue as well.

ms_ukyankee

fka whisper68

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2003 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Cheat prevention bug fixed, only change is in Quiz.pl, just upload the new one in the zip.

Edit: Not working as hoped, apologies.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2003 at 8:33am by ms_ukyankee »  

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2003 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Have downloaded this, will set to testing it today to make sure the cheating problem has been taken care of, and report what I discover! YAY!

As long as work is being done on this, anyway, can I make a request for a fix that ought to be -halfway- easy, but a nice feature?

Can we -please- get to a point where a quiz is not available until the person making it chooses to list it as finished, rather than this 'show quizzes after __ questions' way that it is done now?

It still makes sense to allow an admin to say that a quiz must have ___ questions to be allowed, but that shouldn't determin if a quiz is shown as complete, or not.

Improving my forum, one mod at a time!

Now up and running again, with an accurate link.

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2003 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
All right, this does prevent people from going back and changing answers to get a better score, but it may be a little -too- harsh.

If you have a multi-question quiz and you try to change one answer at the very end, you will lose -all- of your answers, or maybe all but one. This seems a little overly harsh, especially if you weren't doing it to try and cheat.

Would you mind if I ask around and try to find a better way of solving this problem?

IP Logged

ms_ukyankee

fka whisper68

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2003 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
The result wasn't quite what I was after. First lesson in modding learnt (test, test, test). My apologies.  Sad

@batchman, feel free, all help welcome, we're after the same thing, to get this thing working. In the meantime, I'm restoring the version I had posted before the "fix". Undecided

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2003 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
All right, I've got a specific idea for solving this problem, and have asked one of the best coders on the board if they might be willing to take a look at that one issue, and see if my solution would be easy to implement. We'll see what they say.

Since each question asked, and each answer given is recorded in a file, it should be fairly simple to get a subroutine that will go through that file right before scoring, and remove any duplicate questions and their answers. Then, no matter how many times a person might go back and try to re-ask the same questions, only their first answer would remain to be scored.

Will let you know as soon as I hear back on whether the person would be willing to look at the section of quiz.pl and a 'cheated' quiz result file.

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2003 at 1:53am
Print Post  
And have just tested a test quiz on Carsten's test board, that would not let me cheat, either way I could think of to try ... so as soon as some code bits are heading my way, I'll pass them on, and the quiz will probably be 100% cheat-proof! <ggg>

Carsten for mod writer of the year!!!

(And as usual, it seemed to take him less than about 5 minutes to solve the problem! That's why I figured I'd try asking him!)

IP Logged

batchman
Global Moderator

What's up?!

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2003 at 4:00am
Print Post  
And as long as work is being done on ways to improve this mod, how about a couple of somewhat opposite possibilities.

First, as a feature for the regular quiz, which has been requested before, the chance to add a comment section that will be shown along with the results, after the quiz has been taken. This could be used to provide extra information, or to explain why an answer isn't the one you might expect. Should be a very simple thing to add, though making it completely compatible with earlier quizzes might be slightly difficult.

Secondly, as long as we're adding a timer, anyway, why not an extra feature that could be selected, along with the timer, to not show the answers after you take the quiz, but just your score.

The reason I think this could be useful once in a while would be for a quiz competition. The pressure of the timer, only a limited time that people are -allowed- to take the quiz for the competition, and not showing the answers to make it more difficult to do another form of cheating which can't really be prevented, but this way could be made more difficult. Namely, creating an extra account, taking the test with that account, reading off the correct answers, then retaking the test, knowing all the answers. If they aren't shown, it makes it more difficult to use this method of cheating.

Yet it needs to be an optional feature, preferably which can be set for each quiz, because on most quizzes you -want- people to be able to see the answers after they finish taking it.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

ms_ukyankee

fka whisper68

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2003 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Good ideas. The comments should be relatively easy to add. (Much easier than fixing the cheat protection.) Wink It's only a matter of adding/reading another field.

The results display should be another fairly simple option. And a good idea.

I'm planning to make the timer an option for each quiz as well. I've got it working, the problem, again, is cheat prevention, because the timer is javascript, refreshing the page is an easy cheat for that.

ms_ukyankee

fka whisper68

Re: Quiz v.96c for SP1.1, 1.2, 1.3
Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2003 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Mod updated in first post. Smiley

samir

You'll Never Walk Alone

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2003 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I get an error on Line 1 (Sublist.pl) where it states that it cannot find the following line:

'usersrecentposts',"Profile.pl&usersrecentposts";

Can anyone tell me where I should add this line on Sublist.pl so that the additions can be put before that?  Please bear in mind that I am an ignorant non-coder.  I have learnt a lot on changing stuff around myself since joining this forum though.  For that, I thank all the great coders here.

Cheers! 

Samir

IP Logged

samir

You'll Never Walk Alone

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2003 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Never mind.  I figured it out after looking at Sublist.pl.  That line was there, except there was an extra quotation mark.  All fixed and files uploaded.  The quiz works like a charm.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Bob_Finley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
First I would like to say thanks to all that write this stuff. It is great fun.
I have installed this mod on 1.3.1 without trouble, but when it is used, only the quiz creator and admin can see the quiz. when Admin clicks on "take this quiz" (for other quiz creators) I get an error "You have solved this quiz. Please take another quiz."
I have the settings at 10,5,1,check,check.
Hope you can help and thanks again.
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint