Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic @bhra: Problem with "Split/Splice"-mod (Read 1755 times)
Tea-Master
Forum Administrator

@bhra: Problem with "Split/Splice"-mod
May 13th, 2003 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
i checked the mod since a user had problems with it. it's nothing big - just the notifications again.

you have absolutly not thought of them while doing the mod Wink

if you splice a thread for which someone registered to get notifications you don't move them to the .mail file of the other thread. also the old one will not be deleted.

i dont mind how to proceed with splitted threads... it can be left as it is.

IP Logged

Dummy Proof
God Member

I hate Bosses!  Now get
to work!

Re: @bhra: Problem with "Split/Splice"-m
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2003 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure if this will be related, but I suspect it is...

There is a typo in the array construct that is used to delete all the old thread files if there is not a "Moved to:" notice to be issued and if all the messages are getting moved from the thread.

In "sub Split_Splice2" this line of
Code
Select All
            @contents = grep {/^$oldthreadid\./} readdir(DIR);

Should be changed to this line of
Code
Select All
            @contents = grep {/^$oldthreadid\./} readdir(MMD);

In case it doesn't jump out at ya'... it's the DIR should be MMD.

This typo(it's not really a bug because it works correctly with the change Wink) was preventing the leftover files from being deleted, now this wouldn't be an issue if it was just the ".data" and the ".txt" files because they would just be "orphaned" and not really cause a problem... but when there is a ".mail" (or .fav if you have Favorites mod installed) then they would remain behind, and pointing to a non-existent thread now.

Hope that helps.

Dummy

Ya can Idiot proof it...
Ya can Dummy proof it...
But ya can never...
...Blonde proof it!
IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2003 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
if you splice a thread for which someone registered to get notifications you don't move them to the .mail file of the other thread. also the old one will not be deleted.

It's very tricky working out exactly who should be notified of what when spliting or splicing threads, because there are two threads with two sets of people to notify. If you are removing off-topic replies to a new thread then you don't need to notify anyone. If you are moving posts to an existing thread, then you could notify the users watching the destination thread. But these are not new posts, merely ones which have been moved, and the users could have seen them anyway. The only time when notifications really becomes an issue is if you are moving all the posts of one thread to a second thread. But then if the user was interested in that second thread, they should already be being notified of it!

You see, this is not straight forward. Which is why I left the notifications where they were!

Quote:
This typo(it's not really a bug because it works correctly with the change ) was preventing the leftover files from being deleted, now this wouldn't be an issue if it was just the ".data" and the ".txt" files because they would just be "orphaned" and not really cause a problem... but when there is a ".mail" (or .fav if you have Favorites mod installed) then they would remain behind, and pointing to a non-existent thread now.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll check it out later, and yes if you are moving all the posts from one thread to another (without leaving a "moved to..." notice) then all the support files should be deleted..

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

Tea-Master
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2003 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It's very tricky working out exactly who should be notified of what when spliting or splicing threads

*g* yep that's right.

Quote:
If you are moving posts to an existing thread, then you could notify the users watching the destination thread. But these are not new posts, merely ones which have been moved, and the users could have seen them anyway.

IMHO new posts in a special thread are new posts... doesnt matter if they were posted elsewhere.

Let's say we've a big community with much forums. now a moderator decides to move some posts to an oher thread in an other forum. someone registered for other thread and wants to be notified if there are new posts. IMHO they are new for him. he has never read these posts and that thread (perhaps it gives a comlpetly different sence for the reader).

however there's an other thing. if someone registered for notifications of new posts in thread A and a moderator now moves all posts to an existing thread B. shouldnt the user be notified that a thread he was watching has been moved to thread B?
Also shouldnt the .mail file be deleted since it has a connection to a thread A which doesnt exist anylonger?

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2003 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Also shouldnt the .mail file be deleted since it has a connection to a thread A which doesnt exist anylonger?

Yes, that's the bug Dummy Proof spotted.

As for the notification of thread A being moved to thread B when all the posts are moved over, I thought leaving it as it was was safest, without the risk of sending lots of unwanted emails to people.

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

Tea-Master
Forum Administrator

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2003 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
kk Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint