Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic SourceForge CVS (Read 7487 times)
Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

SourceForge CVS
Jun 26th, 2002 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Forgot to post this yesterday..

Okay, sorry I've been MIA on this, but my dev machine has been down for a bit. I had hoped to get it back up by the end of the weekend, but I wound up with a complete hard drive failure. I have all my data backed up on my desktop PC at home, however.

Haven't been completely idle on this, though: I've requested and been approved for a SourceForge project called "phpMyDownloads", which is what I'd like the mod testing/review script to become. We can now use the CVS to share and manage our files easily - I've put up the my latest code in the CVS. The SF project page is at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/phpmydownloads

For those working on this with me, post your SourceForge user name and I'll add you as a developer.

I'll also make a post with instructions on how to get set up with the CVS.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

SourceForge CVS Made Easy
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2002 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
SourceForge CVS Made Easy
by Michael Rodriguez-Torrent :P

Okay, for those having trouble with the SourceForge CVS, here's  some concise, easy-to-use (I hope) instructions to get started:

For DEVELOPERS (those with write access, wanting to make additions/commits, etc.):
1) Download a .zip (1.97mb) I've made of the files you need from http://www.themikecam.com/downloads/SourceForge_CVS.zip
2) Extract both files (TortoiseCVS0-44.exe and putty.zip). Run TortoiseCVS0-44.exe to install TortoiseCVS (you'll have to reboot after it finishes).
3) Extract pageant.exe, puttygen.exe, and ssh.exe from putty.zip to the directory where you installed TortoiseCVS. Ssh.exe from the zip (which was originally plink.exe, but I have renamed it for you) should overwrite the ssh.exe that is already in the directory.
4) Run puttygen.exe and click on "generate." The right items should be chosen by default, but just to double check, the settings should be as follows:
Type of key to generate: SSH1(RSA)
Number of bits in a generated key: 1024
Move your mouse over the blank area until the progress meter is full and is replaced by the results of the key creation.
5) Enter 'X@users.sourceforge.net', replacing X with your real SourceForge username into the "Key comment" field. Enter a password into the two "passphrase" fields.
6) Click "Save private key" and put it somewhere secure (name it anything you want), but also where you can find it again. Don't exit the program yet!
7) You now need to add your public key to your SourceForge profile, so log in and go here: https://sourceforge.net/account/editsshkeys.php. In PuTTY Key Generator, highlight and copy (CTRL + C) the text in the "Public key for pasting into authorized_keys file" field. Paste it into the "Authorized Keys" field on the SourceForge page. Key data on SourceForge is updated every six hours, so you may have to wait awhile before you can log in to the CVS successfully. After about six hours, however...
8) Run pageant.exe, click "Add Key," browse to and select your private key, enter your password, click "Close," and a small icon of a computer with a black hat should be in your system tray.
9) Use the Windows "Run..." command (Start > Run...) and enter this (change the TortoiseCVS directory to where you actually installed it and change X to your SourceForge username):
"C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\ssh.exe" -v X@cvs.sourceforge.net
When prompted to "Store key in cache?" answer yes. Once it has finished running, you can close the window if it's still open.
10) Create or pick a directory to keep files you download from SourceForge CVS (a subfolder for the project/module will be automatically created).
11) Right-click on that directory in Windows and choose "CVS Checkout..."
12) In the "TortoiseCVS - Checkout Module" window that appears, making the following selections:
Protocol: Internet (secure shell)
Server: cvs.sourceforge.net
Repository directory: /cvsroot/phpmydownloads
User name: X     <---- Replace X with your SourceForge user name.
Module: phpMyDownloads     <---- Mind the case.
13) Click "Okay" and, after a short bit, all the files in the module should be downloaded to that directory. Open it and you should see another directory with the same name as the module and with a green overlay on it.
14) Now you're all set to use SourceForge's CVS service! If you're new to CVS and either don't know what you can do or don't know how you can do it, try the CVS Book (http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/). You can either purchase the full public or view/download most of the book online, on the website, for free (GNU GPL license).

For NON-developers (those who wish to check out the code, but do not have write access):
1) Download and install TortoiseCVS (http://www.tortoisecvs.org/download.shtml).
2) Create or pick a directory to keep files you download from SourceForge CVS (a subfolder for the project/module will be automatically created).
3) Right-click on that directory in Windows and choose "CVS Checkout..."
4) In the "TortoiseCVS - Checkout Module" window that appears, making the following selections:
Protocol: Internet (Unix pserver)
Server: cvs.sourceforge.net
Repository directory: /cvsroot/phpmydownloads
User name: Anonymous     <---- CAPITAL letter A.
Module: phpMyDownloads     <---- Mind the case.
5) Click "Okay" and just hit click "Okay" in the password box that appears (leave it blank). After a short while, all the files in the module should be downloaded to that directory. Open it and you should see another directory with the same name as the module and with a green overlay on it.
6) You can now keep track of all development for the module. You will not, however, be able to make any changes to the data in the CVS. If you're new to CVS and either don't know what you can do or don't know how you can do it, try the CVS Book (http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/). You can either purchase the full public or view/download most of the book online, on the website, for free (GNU GPL license).

I hope this has been a help to you! I'd do a tutorial for WinCVS, except that I don't ever want to see the darned thing again.. ;)

Edit: Fixed the case of the module name (phpMyDownloads, not phpmydownloads).

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Re: SourceForge CVS
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2002 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
well, now that I'm learning PHP(kinda quickly too!), I'd like to help you out with this project. Have a space for me? Wink

(my SF username is krikkert(hard guess....))

Code
Select All
unless(0) { stab("LoonyPandora"); next; } 

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2002 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Sure, let me get things organized and I'll let you know specifically what I could use help on.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Shoeb Omar
God Member

Mod Writer

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2002 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Ok, I want to helpbut not on a large degree (I'm gone for 6 weeks in 2 weeks )

I will make a username asap but I'm currently snaking on a computer at my brother's college and don't really know how to use a mac too well (I can't navigate between windows Wink)

YaBB SP2 BETA!
Now taking pay jobs in PHP or Perl.  Contact me for details.
IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2002 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
ok, I've finally read through a couple of heavy PHP books so I'll help ya with the developing!

Code
Select All

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2002 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Cool, you'll have to give me a bit to get organized, though, I've been out of the loop for a few weeks. Wink

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2002 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
sure, just let me know Wink

feel free to use any Instant Messengers to contact me, I have them all

Code
Select All

IP Logged

MattJ
God Member

I am the one and only
clone!

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2002 at 6:31am
Print Post  
yo mike jus im me for help id be glad to help im so so on php

hehe I need to find a new host for my sigs and graphics.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint