Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) For Developers (Read 24663 times)
Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

For Developers
Feb 17th, 2002 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Here's the generic e-mail I'll be sending to anyone who wants to help us with developing the script. Use this thread to discuss the development.

Okay, if you look under the Current Development thread (http://boardmod.yabbforum.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=modtesting;action=display;num=1...), under "structure," you'll see what we're looking to do.

Additionally, I've made a rough layout of the database tables, available here: http://www.themikecam.com/mikecam/test.html. One or two fields will have to be added per some things we've been discussing, such as displaying related mods and only approving mods after they've been reviewed three times.

Also, omario has posted his idea of the "view mod" screen at http://www.clickopedia.com/modlayout.htm. One thing we won't be using, however, is making multiple versions available (at the top, it shows "Msn > 1.0 SP1" and then more versions at the bottom). Instead, all newer versions will simply overwrite the old version. Instead, we thought to add another field to the mods table in the DB that would connect add-ons to the mod they're adding on to, so a "related mods" section could be displayed at the bottom.

For the submission process, it will work basically like this:
1) Mod writer enters username, pass (separate from BoardMod forums), title, version, category, and description into a form. There will be an upload box, so the user can upload the mod from his/her computer(, and maybe a screenshot?).
2) Mod gets added to mod table in the DB and added to the queue table. New thread gets created in BoardMod's YaBB for comments on this mod.
3) A reviewer logs in and gets assigned a mod to review (mods assigned by the order they were submitted). If the reviewer changes his/her mind, they can click "cancel" and it will be unassigned or it will automatically be unassigned after one day of no review submission. The review form will have two or three categories in which the mod will be rated 1-5 stars (possibly  0 or N/A if the need arises). Tentatively, these categories are "Compatibility/Install (with BoardMod 2.5)," "Originality" and "Functionality/Code Design,". Each category will have its own failing score. If a mod does not meet the criteria for any one of the 3 categories, it will not be passed. Additionally, there will be checkboxes to add generic comments to a review, such as "Minor bugs," "Compatibility errors with modded board," etc. There will also be a "Comments" text box so that the reviewer can fill in anything else he/she feels is necessary.
4) After three reviews, the average score will be compared with the requirements/criteria and the mod will be moved from the queue table to either the "rejected" or "approved" table.
5)Users will be able to view all mods, regardless of status, on the Queue, Rejected, and Approved mods pages. These will show the mod title, description, author (with link to view full list of author's mods), link to thread for comments on this mod(, maybe an average user rating?), link to download, average reviewer ratings in each category, reviewer comments, version(, possibly screenshot?), and total downloads.
6) More interesting browsing functions (i.e. sort by download, by date, by rating, etc.) will be available.

Okay, I *think* that's all. Look it over and let us know if you're still interested. If you could, please let us know of any instant messengers that you use so that we can communicate with you a bit faster.

Thanks,
Michael

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Re: For Developers
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2002 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
looks great!

Code
Select All
unless(0) { stab("LoonyPandora"); next; } 

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2002 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Potential feature: output list of mods w/ URLs, descriptions, etc. for BoardMod 3.0.

Says XXL:
I had something in mind like the thread.txt files from YaBB. Each line represents a mod where the cells are splitted by a special character like '|'. That would then look like

Code
Select All
modname|version|yabbversion|uploaddate|author|homepage|description|ratings|...
modname|version|yabbversion|uploaddate|author|homepage|description|ratings|...   

The program would call the script like http://.../getmods.php?lastcheckdate=200012357
Then the script would output only the mods added after that specific date. That way you can get a list of new mods.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

ironwing
God Member

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2002 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Okay,

If a mod fails in functionality or compatibility the mod author will most likely re-submit a fixed version (or get pissed and leave).  When a fixed version of a failed mod is submitted what is the game plan?  Will the team review the new version of the mod and add a new review on top of the old so both versions and reviews are in the database?  Will the old version and old review be removed?

Dan

Please include your forum address in all requests for assistance.  It greatly speeds things along.
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2002 at 2:27am
Print Post  
ironwing wrote on Feb 19th, 2002 at 2:05am:
Will the old version and old review be removed?

That's my thought, yeah. Specifically, the new version gets reviewed. If it's legit (i.e. not someone trying to get the old one deleted or something), the old one will get deleted in favor of the new one. I think that if the new one gets rejected, however, the old one should probably be kept until the new one gets passed.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2002 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
ironwing wrote on Feb 19th, 2002 at 2:05am:
If a mod fails in functionality or compatibility the mod author will most likely re-submit a fixed version (or get pissed and leave)

I don't think that they'll "get pissed" since we'll give them feedback about how their work is and how to improve it!

The Administrator.
IP Logged

LRdM

//m00

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2002 at 6:54am
Print Post  
My changes to the SQL table layout: http://code.lrdm.net/boardmod.sql.txt
Maybe I'll post a visual version later

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Hm, the only change (aside from field naming) that I could see was that you added a "queue_num" field to the user table. What is this for? If it's supposed to be the total number of mods the reviewer has open to review, that's not applicable, because reviewers should only be assigned to one review at a time. I've changed the names of the fields slightly and updated the "HTMLized" version here.

I just changed a couple things to what I thought would be most descriptive while still being short and making sense. Consistent with LRdM's updated layout, we should use all lowercase field names so there's no confusion. Hm, should the IP field contain only one IP address that is updated every time the user logs in, or should it contain a growing list of IP addresses, so that if a user logs in on a different address, it will be recorded? I'm for the continuing logging. It will be helpful in the event that some sort of banning needs to be implemented.

Also, something else I thought of is that we need to have a check in the code to make sure people aren't reviewing their own mods.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2002 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I just changed a couple things to what I thought would be most descriptive while still being short and making sense. Consistent with LRdM's updated layout, we should use all lowercase field names so there's no confusion. Hm, should the IP field contain only one IP address that is updated every time the user logs in, or should it contain a growing list of IP addresses, so that if a user logs in on a different address, it will be recorded? I'm for the continuing logging. It will be helpful in the event that some sort of banning needs to be implemented.
I vote for a growing list too.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2002 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Okay.

Would you be able to get in touch with Dave and start talking about the team applicants as soon as possible? It would be another big step towards completion of this project. Smiley

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2002 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
added to my todo list Wink

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2002 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I vote for a growing list too.

I'm just going to make this a text field with a comma-separated list of values, I think. I'll make a log function that gets called each new session and runs through the list of IPs logged for that user. If the IP address the fellow is using is a new one, it will be added to the log.

I haven't heard anything from LRdM, so I dunno what's going on. I'm going to sit down right now and slam out some code. I've added a fifth section to the to-do list: Common/shared Functions (logging, database calls, authentication, session control), and that's what I'll start with.

After we finish the script, I'd also like to make an install script and some sort of little admin section, so this script can be easily reused on any other modification community.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2002 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Current running version available at http://www.themikecam.com/dev/modtesting

Current ZIP of sources and SQL dump at http://www.themikecam.com/dev/modtesting/current.zip

Test user/pass: test/test

Sat down and slammed out some quick code today, and actually got something done! For the most part, the common functions are set, but something's started going screwy with the sessions, so I'll have to figure out what the matter is, unless someone else finds it first..

Comments/criticism/suggestions/changes, post it here or e-mail me.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #13 - May 24th, 2002 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
nice to see some first steps for the script now Smiley

Btw the javascript part of the login doesn't work right in Mozilla. It replaces whatever I enter by username/password after I leave the field with my mouse...

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #14 - May 24th, 2002 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Why not do something like this to the input fields?

onFocus="if(this.value=='Username')this.value='';"

That way it would only disappear when you click on it (which is how Ive always seen it done before).

I'm not sure if it's ignorance or apathy, but I don't know and I don't care.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint