Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Help Request for Mod Testing (Read 15005 times)
Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Re: Help Request for Mod Testing
Reply #15 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
When mods get submitted, I really think a minimum of three people should test the mod, with a max of probably around five people (any more than that and reviews are just going to get long and drawn out). Testers should have to go through every step themselves, from initial installation to customization to testing the mod out as an admin, moderator, member, guest (should the mod work differently for different user levels).

Yes, that's what we decided. Three individual tests by three different testers, who each go through the entire process.

Quote:
What I really think would work best is a core group of testers, probably 5-7 people.

I don't think we should set any limits on the reviewer "core." We should just take the best and brightest we have. If that's 4 people, so be it. If it's 40, great!

Quote:
After the installation, I think the rating should be a concensus between all the testers

I was thinking about that at first, but on second thought, I think the best idea would be to take the average of all the testers' scores as the mod's final scoring, UNLESS there's some sort of major discrepancy. We'll have to decide what "major" is, though. If we try to make reviewers get together and agree on scores for everything, the review process will really start to get dragged out. After a little bit, the reviewers will just give up fighting for whatever score they wanted and give in to whoever is more stubborn, you know?

Quote:
Additional testing, such as compatibility issues, can most likely be handled by one or two individuals, as most mod are written with the idea of (and even used to state) "mod assumes a clean installation of YaBB."

I think the tests on the modded board (see the thread where we discussed that) should be the same as on the clean installation, just with not so much focus or inspection. The point is to just get an approximation of how compatible it is with other mods. That knowledge is important to people, because most want to install more than one mod.

Quote:
Something like that would be nice on the mod review, so that users could read what mod reviewers actually thought, and could read a variety of comments.

Yah, that's what was planned on. I don't know if we should provide separate fields for all the reviews (and their scores) or whether to tack them all on, though...

Quote:
It would just help give a very rounded approach to what each tester thought of the mod.

I agree; another benefit of having more than one tester try a mod.

Quote:
And if you need any help... well, I actually programmed a little PERL last night, so you never know... maybe I'd be able to pitch in sometime.

Great. Smiley

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #16 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Summary (with bullet points, yay!):
  • Three people are completely testing and reviewing each mod. See the "preventing biases" thread.
  • Dave thinks final scores should be an agreement between all the testers. I think it should just be the average, barring any "major" differences.
  • Mod should be tested against the modded board in the same way as with the clean board, but with a focus on compatibility, to get a good estimate.
  • Should we have separate fields (comments, scores) for each of the three reviews? It might get clunky, perhaps better to just tack them on to each other.

Edited:
Sorry Big O, I'm removing the little posts, want to try and keep things clean, you know. Wink

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Shoeb Omar
God Member

Mod Writer

Reply #17 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
bullet 2: i side with michael, sorry dave Wink
bullet3: one reviewer writes up a "report"

YaBB SP2 BETA!
Now taking pay jobs in PHP or Perl.  Contact me for details.
IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #18 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I've cleaned up this thread and also updated the list of Team Applicants with a couple people I had missed.

@Omario: Did you mean bullet 4, as opposed to bullet 3?

If you did mean 3, the results of testing should go into the compatibility score and the reviewer should make some comments in their review if necessary.

If you meant 4, I'm rather against that. Words and phrases can be taken out of context, and letting one person write up a summary or "report" is almost as good as letting that person do the one and only review. If they're good and honest, it'll be fine. If not, it'll suck. The point is to prevent suckiness. Wink

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
IP Logged

Shoeb Omar
God Member

Mod Writer

Reply #19 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
i meant 4 but i agree with ur comeback Smiley

YaBB SP2 BETA!
Now taking pay jobs in PHP or Perl.  Contact me for details.
IP Logged

Dave Baughman
God Member

I want my MTV

Reply #20 - Mar 18th, 2002 at 3:27am
Print Post  
I agree with four myself. As far as an actual rating, if you're going to take an average, I (as a user, not a modder) would want to know what each mod reviewer individually scored the mod. Figure that's the way it works in the olympics... wouldnt be a bad compromise, either.

I'm not sure if it's ignorance or apathy, but I don't know and I don't care.
IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Reply #21 - Mar 26th, 2002 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Any knowledge of who gets to be testers?

Code
Select All
unless(0) { stab("LoonyPandora"); next; } 

IP Logged

Jedi

Reply #22 - Mar 31st, 2002 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Ok, so I'm not a very experianced PHP/mySQL programmer, but I'm getting there. I have some experiance just not a gigantic bit. I do program PHP and integrate it with mySQL (in fact on the side I'm writing a script for a local company for database management and an online store.) If there's any little work to be done that other people are too busy with, I'd love to help.

Edited:
I have turned my computer into a development station, it has Apache, Perl, PHP, and mySQL running on it, though Perl isn't functioning at the moment.. haven't figured out why yet.

Eric
grandadmirale@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint