Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [DONE] Chat Bubbles! (Read 26699 times)
D-BOY

HAA!

Re: [DONE] Chat Bubbles!
Reply #15 - Feb 8th, 2002 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
I dunno. I have to let my PC burn discs the rest of today. I might be able to finish it by tomorrow morning or tomorrow night. Wouldn't be hard to write at all.

Just gotta add a new function to admin.pl (and it could be nearly a clone of the re-arrange board routine), add a new link in admin.pl to get to it, and rewrite maybe 3 lines of display.pl.  Really simple as long as you know what you're doing.

Just wanna make sure my pc is done burning so it doesn't goof any discs.

IP Logged

D-BOY

HAA!

Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2002 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Chat Bubbles! 1.5

Updated in 1.5: Now far more compatable with other mods. You can choose which boards you want to display in chat bubbles by putting them in the list using the Chat Bubbles! link in YaBB Admin.

The new versions makes a completely separate board printing routine from the default one in Display.pl. You can choose which boards to display in the Chat Bubble format by typing their id in the list editor (it's added to the bottom of the first block of the YaBB Admin).

If you had a board names "General Board" witht he id "general", you'd type general int he list. One entry per line (just like when you re-order the boards)

I'd like feedback on how it works out for everyone who tries it out!

IP Logged

KyleYankan

The KyleYCam!

Reply #17 - Feb 9th, 2002 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Awesome! one problem: you can change the posts colro and make it alternate but the images dont..... also i need a gif editor to change the colros, any ideas?

//-KyleY-\\

Steal his bandwidth! He doesn't want it!
IP Logged

D-BOY

HAA!

Reply #18 - Feb 9th, 2002 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Images CAN'T alternate. You'd need to make two mirrored versions of every single avatar on your website. It's far too much trouble and I've never planned on supporting something like that. Besides that, you couldn't possibly make flipped images for guests who specify their own avatar.

There is one other way you could do it, and that's to find a .pl that contains all the functions for mirroring, rotating, etc gif images. Then you could run whatever gif would be used in the mirrored post through that and save it to a temporary file. However, this would devour your HD space and put a massive strain on the CPU and Disk usage likely to get your server admin's attention and disapproval. If you ran that 2x-5x a day, that wouldn't be a problem. But look at the numbers. It would need to be done for every post viewed and/or responded to by every person who visits your webpage every day. On top of that the fact none of those side images would cache would tack onto your bandwidth and make your page much slower loading for modem users. And to my knowledge, no gif manipulation scripts can handle animated gifs. But one problem we completely ignored there is JPG or PNG avatars, which to my knowledge no perl stuff can manipulate.

Hopefully you see why it's just not worth the trouble... sorry.

As for changing the colors of the bubble. You could use something like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, etc. They can edit and save transparent gifs. Paint Shop Pro is available in demo form. I think it has a30-day limit or something to that effect.

IP Logged

KyleYankan

The KyleYCam!

Reply #19 - Feb 9th, 2002 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I mean alternate images as in first set be blue next set be green then back to blue. Jut an idea. Not too hard too do...

//-KyleY-\\

IP Logged

D-BOY

HAA!

Reply #20 - Feb 9th, 2002 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Oh, you man alternate the color of the bubbles? Yeah that wouldn't be hard. I thought you were talking about flipping the avatars. My bad.

IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #21 - Feb 9th, 2002 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
I've just installed you mod and it looks great, but can I make a suggestion about the admin function...

...instead of giving the mod its own admin page, wouldn't it be easier to put a checkbox beside each board listed on the edit boards page? You just update ManageBoards.pl instead of Admin.pl, AdminEdit.pl and YaBB.pl.

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

D-BOY

HAA!

Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2002 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
It would be easier for the end user but a much bigger pain to write. When you click modify, it only writes to that board's file. I just went for what would take the least time to write so I could get something fully useable out the door.

These would be great feature ideas for a 2.0 Smiley

IP Logged

DigiTech ID

AKA Neo Plan 3, Neo Digital
3, Audiodox, etc...

Reply #23 - Feb 9th, 2002 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
??? I tryed to go into the chat bubbles section in the admin center, but when I clicked on it I was returned to the forum I came from.

Looks like there's work yet to be done...

Pitty, never even made it past YaBB 1 SP1.1
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

BHRA Webmaster
God Member

Mod Author of the Year

Reply #24 - Feb 10th, 2002 at 1:12am
Print Post  
D-BOY wrote on Feb 9th, 2002 at 9:31pm:
It would be easier for the end user but a much bigger pain to write. When you click modify, it only writes to that board's file. I just went for what would take the least time to write so I could get something fully useable out the door.

Well, I've been playing with your mod (I hope you don't mind) and I have managed it without too much bother - I just used the announcement board as a guide. As for storing the information in the board's file, as long as you don't clash with any popular mods it works fine.

I'm now trying to move the code that displays the profile and the message into seperate subroutines as they each appear (slightly modified) three times in the file.

World Domination, one smiley at a time!

IP Logged

KyleYankan

The KyleYCam!

Reply #25 - Feb 10th, 2002 at 1:22am
Print Post  
I know i would like to see a patch for speed options.

//-KyleY-\\

IP Logged

Postmaster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - Feb 10th, 2002 at 1:30am
Print Post  
@ D-BOY

cool mod and works fine
it was a little problem with the report to moderator mod.the link was not display.i have fix and works  Grin

see on testboard
thanks

MFG MAC

IP Logged

DigiTech ID

AKA Neo Plan 3, Neo Digital
3, Audiodox, etc...

Reply #27 - Feb 10th, 2002 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Could you tell me how you fixed report to moderator Postmaster?

Looks like there's work yet to be done...

Pitty, never even made it past YaBB 1 SP1.1
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Shauk

Reply #28 - Feb 10th, 2002 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
yeah i have paint shop pro but im a completely clueless moron around image editors, if someone would be so kind as to explain how to change the color that would be great.. a little in depth step by step tutorial would be much appreciated.

(i tried figureing it out on my own but wound up looking at a white square and then wound up looking at an orange square) oops.

i suck at this.

IP Logged

Teme

Cogito, ergo sum!

Reply #29 - Feb 10th, 2002 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
KyleYankan wrote on Feb 10th, 2002 at 1:22am:
I know i would like to see a patch for speed options.

I would like to see this one too. And with speed options mod this one's much more enjoyabla 'coz who want's to see long signatures in chat bubble? Disabling avatars with speed options although makes bubbles look a bit weird.

I suggest (for the next version) that this mod would be suitable with speed options mod and maybe couple of advanced features included in admin options that doesn't allow signatures on bubble boards but forces to see avatars althought whatever users have chosen in their profile using speed options.

But speed options compatibility would be usefull as these too mods support each. 8)

My great wish list:
Quote inside Quote! (and I'll be satisfied)
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint