Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [DONE] Chat Bubbles! (Read 26603 times)
D-BOY

HAA!

[DONE] Chat Bubbles!
Feb 7th, 2002 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Chat Bubbles!

A few years ago I wrote my own bulliten board system called WebBBS that's still floating around the net and occasionally in use. It was well loved by the users but lacked some things I never got around to implementing:
  1. threading
  2. user accounts
  3. a nice maintainence system
YaBB has all these. When I switched to YaBB I wanted to get back the old feeling of the BBS I designed long ago. I modified YaBB 1 Gold - Release but never made a mod for it. So when I had to edit SP1 to support it, thanks to the requests of a few people I've added a mod.

huki1.gif through huki6.gif must be placed in your YaBBImages directory.

The bubbles can only appear in white. This cannot be edited. This is because the corner graphics are white. If you'd like the bubble to be another color, you'll need to edit this mod and replace all instances of bgcolor="#FFFFFF" with the color you'd like. Then change the color of the corner graphics to match.

For an example of how a forum looks when running this mod, view screenshot.gif.

<screenshot below is 30KB and included in zip>

IP Logged

dOCdaS
God Member

Re: [DONE] Chat Bubbles!
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Hey this looks really nice with the bubbles.
but i can't use the mod because my board is already too much edited.
also on a fast overview i saw that piece of code:

$menusep<a ont>

but SP1 uses ";" instead of "&" now
so it should look like

$menusep<a ont>

do that for all links in you mod or some users will get some trouble.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

D-BOY

HAA!

Most odd
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Both work. People have used & to pass variables forever. In fact I've never seen anyone actually use ; until now. However, for the sake of making it look the same as whatever the flavor of the month is for the YaBB team, I changed all instances to ;.

A new file has been uploaded.

Also, the script as it was (using &) is in operation on my SP1 without any glitches. So I really think it's either/or.

Also (again) this version that I posted is a bit more bloated than the script I actually use. On mine I completely removed all the Yahoo, AIM, email, etc icons, wrote a parsing routing to only display one position (other than YaBB Admin/Mod), removed the post count, and removed the stars. That way the avatars lined up nicer with the bubbles. The only reason I didn't release that version was because I know a lot of YaBB users are hell-bent on post counts, their positions, etc, and rather than just omit the option, I figured they could comment out what they disliked accordingly. In my own personal use I like things short & simple.

Here's a picture of my board. If people tell me they want a trimmed version like this. I'll release another mod with that code instead.

One other idea I've toyed with is moving the name, modify, etc buttons, and post title, up to their own new level. Then having only the message & signature in the bubble and have the face parallel to the top of th emessage bubble that way. I just really havn't had a good reason to rwrite it that way though and I personally like having th ebuttons in the bubble. But it's the only other really viable alternative to bump up the avatar other than moving the name below it.

Suggestions welcome.

IP Logged

dOCdaS
God Member

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 9:27am
Print Post  
The & are working in my board too but i often heard users which meant they got a download for that script which was called in the link and i also got it sometimes. so it's better to make links in SP1 always with ; .

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

sorenbjerg

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Wow... that looks rather cool 8)... would be funny to try out Cheesy.

IP Logged

Michael
God Member

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\,
n. - See recursion.

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Very neat, D-boy! And yes, I believe the "&" will work just as well as ";", it always has for me.

~ Michael ~
-------------
The MikeCam
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
IP Logged

Shoeb Omar
God Member

Mod Writer

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
looks rather cool Wink

YaBB SP2 BETA!
Now taking pay jobs in PHP or Perl.  Contact me for details.
IP Logged

DanX vs SoNiC
God Member

TOTTENHAM HOTSPURS FOREVER!!!

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Looks good. Will have a look at it. 8)

Email "The User Formally Known As Sonic : mail@danscotson.co.uk

IP Logged

DigiTech ID

AKA Neo Plan 3, Neo Digital
3, Audiodox, etc...

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
How did you get it to display every other post with the bubble on one the left and the user image on the right? I installed it on my board, but it only displays on the same side. ???

Looks like there's work yet to be done...

Pitty, never even made it past YaBB 1 SP1.1
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Teme

Cogito, ergo sum!

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Shocked This must be the coolest looking mod out there Shocked

Quote:
Hey this looks really nice with the bubbles.
but i can't use the mod because my board is already too much edited.

It's a pity that it's not very compatible and propably most users here can't install it Cry For someone who's familiar with many mods available, it would be more than worth to try make it compatible Wink

My great wish list:
Quote inside Quote! (and I'll be satisfied)
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

DigiTech ID

3, Audiodox, etc...

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Yes! I agree with Teme! Someone Please Make This More Compatable!

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

D-BOY

HAA!

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2002 at 3:02am
Print Post  
It replaces a vast chunk of display.pl. In fact, almost all of it excluding a couple lines. There's really no way your could make it more compatable. I think however, you could probably install this mod first, then other mods over it, since chances are the strings they search for in doing the mod are still in tact.

The new chunk of Display.pl is pretty much cumpletely different except for the user info on the left. I suppose I could break it into two parts to replace around the user info, but if you've done anything to change positiongings of th ebuttons, etc, it still wouldn't work. Bottom line is, such a drastic mod really needs to be applied first.

The other reason is it contains two completely different chunks to display. Depending on if the count of how many posts in you are is even or odd, it will either print so everything is aligned right, or print with it to the left (thust creating the flipping). It was really rather simple.

Sorry it's not more compatable to go over other mods, but by the very nature of what all replaces it can't be. For those who'd like to use it I really recommend just patching it onto a clean display.pl, then re-applying any of your other mods that changed Display.pl (I really don't think there's a whole lot of them, most appearance mods seems to apply to the board or topic listings).

Neo Plan 3: I have no idea HOW you got it to display on just one side. With the code it replaces with and the fact I tested it on a clean Display.pl witht he latest version of BoardMOD myself, that really shouldn't even be possible... as long as a thread has more than one post it does the flipping...

I can probably make something to make it more compatable, but BoardMOD wouldn't be able to handle it (I don't think). If you relace something in a line, tack something onto a line, etc, the end result either way is that line is changed. So if something else wants to search for that line, it won't be ble to find it. The only option would be to make separate replace routines to account for every possible mod and combination of mods to Display.pl that are currently released (and updating it endlessly as more are released, pretty soon the mod is 3MB of ASCII >_<), and frankly, that's a much less viable option than just patching with this mod before other mods :-p

My one last idea would be to just make a whole new ,pl called ChatBubble.pl and link Subs.pl to that instead of Display.pl. This would make it work for everyone, but you wouldn't be able ot mod over it any more.

IP Logged

McH

Juud. 16

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2002 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I did little mod, that uses bubles only on my test board, and all other board are normal...

Find
Code
Select All
##########################################
# Chat Bubbles! - A YaBB Mod by D-BOY

if ((($counter % 2) == '0')||($counter == '0')) {
		$yymain .= qq~
<a name="$counter"> 

Add before
Code
Select All
if($boardname eq "Testaus") { 

Chance "Testaus" to board NAME not ID where you like to use bubles...

find
Code
Select All
# End Chat Bubbles! Code

Add after
Code
Select All
}
else { 

Find
Code
Select All
		$userprofile[5]
		</font></td>
	    </tr>
	  </table>
	  </td>
	</tr>
    </table>
    </td>
  </tr>
</table>~; 

Add after
Code
Select All
}

That works for me! Smiley

IP Logged

D-BOY

HAA!

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2002 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Great idea! in fact it gives me an even better one on how to improve this mod and let it patch into already patched display.pl files!

I'll add an admin function and make a new file of boards to display as chat bubbles. Then I can just have it read-in that file, check the board it's displaying against the list of boards to display as bubbles. Then if it finds it, print the bubbles routine, otherwise use the normal code.

IP Logged

DigiTech ID

3, Audiodox, etc...

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2002 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Shocked Ooooo.... Any release date?

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint